Can someone tab this guitar riff? (not very complicated, I just suck)

Meltdown Tracker

On 5/22/2020 at 5:26 PM, Tom Bot said:

Just the lead guitar riff at this timestamp:

i don't read or write tabs; i'm strictly an ear musician. but i just put on schmaltz and queued up that track. he's noodling on the G and B strings at the fourth through sixth frets. just a sort of lazy back and forth—very face to face. 4-6, 4, 4, 5-4 kind of thing. if you noodle around those notes you'll hear it.

18 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i don't read or write tabs; i'm strictly an ear musician. but i just put on schmaltz and queued up that track. he's noodling on the G and B strings at the fourth through sixth frets. just a sort of lazy back and forth—very face to face. 4-6, 4, 4, 5-4 kind of thing. if you noodle around those notes you'll hear it.

Sweet, thanks Davey! I notice he also tunes his guitar half a step down for a lot of songs. 

I know it's a basic riff, but damn does it sound great. Kind of reminds me of Tom Delonge circa Enema/TOYPAJ. 

18 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

I know it's a basic riff, but damn does it sound great. Kind of reminds me of Tom Delonge circa Enema/TOYPAJ. 

yup, and tom was aping trevor from face to face. if you listen to big choice, you can spot all the guitar parts tom lifted for cheshire cat.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Speedo said:

That takes a while to learn how to do properly.

yea i didn't mean to be snobby about it. music by ear comes naturally to me (i never had to learn how to do it) but i can't for the life of me read sheet music or tablature. which is its own disadvantage, especially if all your bandmates do!

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

yea i didn't mean to be snobby about it. music by ear comes naturally to me (i never had to learn how to do it) but i can't for the life of me read sheet music or tablature. which is its own disadvantage, especially if all your bandmates do!

I started out learning Blink 182 songs on tab!

40 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i suppose it's useful for deconstructing more complicted lead parts. probably the only way i could learn to play mr. brett's solos is by learning to read tabs!

That's only IF they're tabbed properly ... a good portion of 'em are completely wrong.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yet being an ear musician, at least they'd provide a blueprint or roadmap to correct.

You know, the problem I found with tabs is you never really develop technique, or maybe it's just me. I could see what notes I needed but had trouble putting them together in a way that sounds like it should.

I started playing guitar in the early morning hours of May 11th 2002, 10 minutes after getting home from the pop disaster tour. I took my mom's classical guitar and stayed up all night fucking around on it.

I played solely off of tablature for the next few years and while I was great at playing chords I couldn't noodle worth a damn. I have only really picked up playing by ear in the last year or so and the noodling has gotten better but years of poor technique and never learning scales or theory has left me well inadequate as a player.