You think Tom has something against collabs?

M!ke

With yet another blink collab dropping in that Powfu song (really like that one by the way), and counting the many others they've done since Tom left, not to mention the many times Mark on his own has collabed with other artists (never mind Travis, I think with a drummer of his talent, its pretty inevitable how much he appears in other music), yet I can't think of many songs Tom has appeared on other artist's tracks.  Is it a matter of Mark/blink getting more offers or current management being more aggressive with making that stuff happen?  Or was Tom just always really against doing it?

I can certainly understand arguments against wanting to do it for particular songs or artists, but surely for the right artist, you'd think he'd at least entertain the idea of doing a collab.

1 minute ago, JarJarBlinks said:

He's done one with Say Anything.

That being said Tom doesn't like doing anything Tom doesn't have complete control of/something that makes him money.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.  Was really struggling to think of any other bands/artists' songs he's appeared on.  But yeah, he definitely has always been a bit of a control freak.

10 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

He's done one with Say Anything.

That being said Tom doesn't like doing anything Tom doesn't have complete control of/something that makes him money.

And the song he did with them was about pedophilia . I guess the topic inspired him?

I did like his voice in that song. Much better than a lot of his AVA stuff. Bemis prevented him from yodeling around too much

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Neal said:

when tom was still in blink, there was actually someone in the band with own ideas for songs.

I'm not sure how that relates to the question.  How does having ideas or not for songs translate to being more interested or not in collabing with other artists?  If anything, if someone has a lot of ideas for songs, you think they'd be more willing to share and work with others to show off their versatile talents.

1 minute ago, M!ke said:

I'm not sure how that relates to the question.  How does having ideas or not for songs translate to being more interested or not in collabing with other artists?  If anything, if someone has a lot of ideas for songs, you think they'd be more willing to share and work with others to show off their versatile talents.

It doesn’t but new-blink = bad-blink so some people need to jump in with the quips any chance they get even if it doesn’t fit the topic at hand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neal said:

blink's lack of ideas for own songs forces them to team up with more popular artists to stay relevant

Artists don't tend to get asked to guest for other bands when they are considered to be without talent.  You may not like that they work with other song writers, but I highly doubt that the reason they're showing up on other artists' work now is because they don't write as much of their own material.  Doesn't really translate, especially when we go back years ago to the +44 days (when Mark was still writing all his own music), and Mark was guest vocaling on all sorts of other band's tracks, while Tom still was not being seen outside of his own projects.

lighten up dude, i was just teasing.

tom is barely interested enough in music to keep working on ava songs and is very selfcentered with his endeavours. hence why he doesnt collaborate with other artists

how does that work for you?

• Like 1

Just now, Diddy Faplord said:

Tom had Tim Armstrong on Cat Like Thief for Boxcar Racer 

Yeah, I'm not really looking at it from the having artists appear on his albums.  Cuz there is that, Robert Smith, Yelawolf, etc.  I just mean, that you never see other artists feature Tom (outside of Say Anything, unless I'm missing something else).

3 minutes ago, Neal said:

lighten up dude, i was just teasing.

tom is barely interested enough in music to keep working on ava songs. hence why he doesnt collaborate with other artists

how does that work for you?

I'm not upset if you think I am.  I'm just trying to understand your reasoning, and it isn't really adding up for me is all.  I don't think your new answer is really it either, cuz aside from that Say Anything song, I can't think of another song Tom has ever appeared on outside of his own releases in the nearly 30 years of blink, while Mark has had plenty (and obviously Travis has too).  I wonder if he's not asked as much as Mark, or if he's just more picky, or if it's a control thing.

1 minute ago, M!ke said:

I'm not upset if you think I am.  I'm just trying to understand your reasoning, and it isn't really adding up for me is all.  I don't think your new answer is really it either, cuz aside from that Say Anything song, I can't think of another song Tom has ever appeared on outside of his own releases in the nearly 30 years of blink, while Mark has had plenty (and obviously Travis has too).  I wonder if he's not asked as much as Mark, or if he's just more picky, or if it's a control thing.

Okay, you might come up with an aswer from me then that suits your expectation

Tom doesn’t have time for his own music, much less others. I think it’s gotten easier for artists to “collab” which is why we’re seeing an influx from Mark/blink recently. Mark can do it from his own studio in 10 minutes and be done. It’s not a huge ordeal these days, and really is just Mark/Trav being cool enough to hop on other people’s stuff when they ask.

36 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Tom doesn’t have time for his own music, much less others. I think it’s gotten easier for artists to “collab” which is why we’re seeing an influx from Mark/blink recently. Mark can do it from his own studio in 10 minutes and be done. It’s not a huge ordeal these days, and really is just Mark/Trav being cool enough to hop on other people’s stuff when they ask.

I’m not sure it’s “time”.....

one group likes making music (whether anyone likes it or likes their method or not) and the other thinks he is too good for music and only uses it to fund his projects. 

2 hours ago, M!ke said:

Yeah, I'm not really looking at it from the having artists appear on his albums.  Cuz there is that, Robert Smith, Yelawolf, etc.  I just mean, that you never see other artists feature Tom (outside of Say Anything, unless I'm missing something else).

So a collab only counts if he is featured on someone else’s work?

This is quite a good question tbf.

He can be Mr Marble Mouth live, but his studio voice still holds up. You'd think more people in the scene that he influenced would have been begging to get a chance to work with him/feature, especially back in the day. I can't say as to why really. I can say that I think Blink collab more now because, since Tom left, Travis seems to have a lot more of a voice within the band. He makes them more open to push them into different genres and collaborate with artists he's worked with, Yellawolf, Steve Aoiki etc.