dude ranch amp head and cabinet suggestions?

Dygrizzly

hi ive been searching through the the internet for about 3 hours now trying to find a ampeg vl1002 amp head or a ampeg 502 amp head they are really rare and i cant seem to find one in thew uk is there any suggestions on what i should get to mimic that tone? i already have a dmarzio x2n angled 

On 6/5/2020 at 3:12 PM, Dygrizzly said:

hi ive been searching through the the internet for about 3 hours now trying to find a ampeg vl1002 amp head or a ampeg 502 amp head they are really rare and i cant seem to find one in thew uk is there any suggestions on what i should get to mimic that tone? i already have a dmarzio x2n angled 

they totally come up on reverb from time to time:

https://reverb.com/p/ampeg-vl-1002-2-channel-100-watt-guitar-amp-head

two listed now, one of which will ship. sure, it's pricier to the UK i'd imagine (US shipping is listed at $70), but totally worth it IMO.

here's mine, with my delonge strat:

rig.jpg

Just keep an eye out for them, sometimes you’ll get them for a deal. It really is worth waiting to find one! It’s a Marshall on steroids with a dedicated clean channel making it super versatile. Especially if an actual Marshall is out of your price range which was my case. 

@daveyjones the rig is looking great! I see you have the green spectraflex cable as well! 

• 1 month later...

I totally get that specific gear can be hard to find in the UK, as my friends who live there have expressed to me. Shipping can be very expensive as well. 

If you aren’t having any luck with finding an Ampeg, I would suggest a Marshall JCM 900 or 800. I’ve been able to dial in some great dude ranch tones with a Mesa Dual Rec as well as a Peavey 6505+. Really, you can get close with settings, the right pickup and playing the songs as tight as possible. 

As for a cab, you can go Marshall, Mesa, Orange (Ampeg if you can find one), there’s a lot of good options out there. The speaker break up will vary based on what you get but you should be able to get close with either Celestion V30s of 75s etc. I’m assuming you won’t be cranking the volume insanely high. 

I’m going to be Posting some tones I made for dude ranch soon. I figured by focusing on settings and play style, I can hopefully help some folks out since not everyone is able to get the same gear. 

1 minute ago, Q182 said:

And its two colors! 

isn't that odd? i looked back at my reference photos a bit closer, and what i thought was glow is totally a diagonal line:

ampeg-light-05.jpg

ampeg-light-04.jpg

ampeg-light-03.jpg

this appears to be painted, with the text and underline as either stencil or white vinyl:

paint.jpg

so when i made two different blue plates, based on the lighting in the photos i had, i was splitting up what was actually a two-tone job. i might think about trying to do one of these with the actual diagonal now...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 11:23 PM, daveyjones said:

so when i made two different blue plates, based on the lighting in the photos i had, i was splitting up what was actually a two-tone job. i might think about trying to do one of these with the actual diagonal now...

Just for curiosity, are you selling this type of blink logo plate? - I might buy one if you do

On 7/27/2020 at 11:23 PM, daveyjones said:

isn't that odd? i looked back at my reference photos a bit closer, and what i thought was glow is totally a diagonal line:

ampeg-light-05.jpg

Is it me or the plate seems to be illuminated by some sort of light in the background? 

I know it's a dumb question, I'm not a guitar expert at all.

14 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i have a few left of the plain blue. a few darker, a few lighter:

Fantastic! - Just a few more questions: 

Are you selling them on eBay/Reverb? if so, can I get a link please?

Are you planning on creating a new version that replicates the diagonal shape as the original plate? If so, I think I'll wait until you have them ready :)

Are your current plates from the picture above transparent? (i.e. Do they also illuminate as the original one when the background light is on or are they fully opaque)?