All hail Lagwagon

_Bagel

Yeah, so running with your idea @daveyjones - Would love to hear any more insights/tales from shows you and @Elisa might have.

Lagwagon's  discography is so consistent, what's everyone's favourite album/ deep cut from those guys?

Just to prove they're as strong as ever, here's one of mine from Railer. Thoughtful, self aware, amazing solo, motoring drums - everything that makes them Lagwagon. 'Everyone of us leaves his mark, everyone of us wears a self inflicted Purple Heart'. 

All hail The Wagon

Joey.jpg Handsome Motherfucker

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Trashed and Hoss are my favourite albums. Gotta be one of those 2. I think Trashed had the coolest guitar sounds and some of the most interesting acid/grungy skate punk compositions ever.
However I love all of them and think Hang is amazing. The lyrics in Hang are mindblowing and very dark + the addition of Raposo really changed the sound a lot too for the most part. I like that completely different tone.

Favourite song: too many, if I had to pick just one, then I think it's Angry Days.

Best memory: whenever they played in this seaside town in Tuscany, very close to where I lived + when Dave and Joey told me to go see them on tour with Alkaline Trio and NOFX and I got to spend two days with all these bands and all of them were very nice to me.
I think there were a lot of drugs going on backstage though. I'm a very meek and quiet person so I have no idea why I was invited to hang out with these people for two days, but it was cool. Both Fat Mike and Joey even asked me to help them with the setlist.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Elisa said:

Trashed and Hoss are my favourite albums. Gotta be one of those 2. I think Trashed had the coolest guitar sounds and some of the most interesting acid/grungy skate punk compositions ever.
However I love all of them and think Hang is amazing. The lyrics in Hang are mindblowing and very dark + the addition of Raposo really changed the sound a lot too for the most part. I like that completely different tone.

Favourite song: too many, if I had to pick just one, then I think it's Angry Days.

Best memory: whenever they played in this seaside town in Tuscany, very close to where I lived + when Dave and Joey told me to go see them on tour with Alkaline Trio and NOFX and I got to spend two days with all these bands and all of them were very nice to me.
I think there were a lot of drugs going on backstage though. I'm a very meek and quiet person so I have no idea why I was invited to hang out with these people for two days, but it was cool. Both Fat Mike and Joey even asked me to help them with the setlist.  

Yeah I think Joey said Hang is like, 'his angry old man' record - he's pissed off at the state of things and see's the lack of empathy all around. It's amazing, the prism that he see's the world through. Yeah I loved Jesse , but Joe is insanely talented.

Great choice of Angry Days, song that got me into them - so catchy, so clever, great solos.

How long ago was it when you met NOFX/Trio? That's insane! Was Joey heavily involved with all the drugs/ backstage shenanigans? Again, I'm a broken record but that's so cool.

@Neal - That's in there with their 4 record run from Trashed that can't really be beat.  That album does everything Enema does, really. It has glossy production, it's melodic, it's clever. I wonder why it didn't blow up . I know the Tony Hawk games helped get attention for May 16.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

Yeah I think Joey said Hang is like, 'his angry old man' record - he's pissed off at the state of things and see's the lack of empathy all around. It's amazing, the prism that he see's the world through. Yeah I loved Jesse , but Joe is insanely talented.

Great choice of Angry Days, song that got me into them - so catchy, so clever, great solos.

How long ago was it when you met NOFX/Trio? That's insane! Was Joey heavily involved with all the drugs/ backstage shenanigans? Again, I'm a broken record but that's so cool.

@Neal - That's in there with their 4 record run from Trashed that can't really be beat.  That album does everything Enema does, really. It has glossy production, it's melodic, it's clever. I wonder why it didn't blow up . I know the Tony Hawk games helped get attention for May 16.

I know it's their most famous song, but May 16th is so well known for a reason. Melodic punkrock par excellence. 

Ltaf and pennybridge pioneers by millencolin, did it best for me

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Speedo Blaze is the only one that I've semi-neglected so far. What is it about the record that you love?

Hoss is king and Resolve is so powerful . I wished they played the song Resolve live, I can't find a video of it anywhere, amazing song.

@Neal - Yeah, you're right. Again the guitars/solos are mad. Can tell that whole scene was just a dagger in Joey but he made such a fucking tune out of it, it's just another Saturday

11 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

Not really, it was mostly Fat Mike, Melvin and Skiba haha all the others were just chatting, drinking beers or playing videogames. 

I also have two little stories which involve blink:
The first one happened when I met the band for the first time when I was in high school. I was talking to Joey and Flip after the show and a guy from my school showed up and tried to be a badass by saying "you guys are talking to her, but her favourite band is blink-182" and Joey said something like "So what? We love them. Have you ever written a song as cool as Enthused?" and the guy backed off. 

Another time Flip told me about a tour with blink in 97 (?) and said they used to stay up all night getting drunk and listening to Tom, who always talked about "stuffs we can't tell you because you're a girl".
He also said something about an Halloween show and how Flip and Mark wanted to dress up for it, but the other guys in Lagwagon and Tom didn't want to, so they went for 2 or 3 days without talking to anyone in their own bands and performed on stage with a shirt that said something I can't remember (but it was about how they didn't let them celebrate Halloween).

These aren't funny anecdotes by any means but we're on the blink boards so I thought I'd share them. 

• Love 2

24 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

@Speedo Blaze is the only one that I've semi-neglected so far. What is it about the record that you love?

Hoss is king and Resolve is so powerful . I wished they played the song Resolve live, I can't find a video of it anywhere, amazing song.

It feels like it's a solidly thought out record, every song compliments the previous song and thematically everything is in line. The melodies are on point and it seems to me they spent a lot of time on arrangements and production. The whole album is full of classics:

E Dagger

Dancing the Collapse

I Must Be Hateful

Max Says 

Billy Club

Never Stops

Lullaby 

It's just a solid record and a solid comeback from a hiatus of sorts. 

My only gripe is Status Pools wasn't included in the track listing, which is a fucking shame 'cause it's one of my favorite songs. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

All aboard the Lagwagon! Been a fan since 2014! Favorite album is Hoss, Derrick Plourde’s fantastic drumming is what brought me to the band, Dave Raun carries the torch excellently. They’re my top influences on the kit. As far as deep cuts go, my favorites include Bye For Now, Parents Guide To Living, Bro Dependent (which for the music nerds switches between 4/4 and 7/8 time signatures), and Change Despair. Good lord that was a hard top 5 to pick. They have so many, even the outtakes from each album are awesome.

@Speedo Couldn’t agree more, Resolve really hits hard. That video for Heartbreaking Music made me choke up with all the photos of Derrick.

• Like 1

lagwagon fan since 1996. my fave old albums are trashed and hoss. my fave new albums are hang and railer. but as others have pointed out, their discography is so damn consistent that it's pretty hard to rank them imo. last fall i went on a long drive to another state, and i shuffled every lagwagon release into one giant playlist. and yes i have the "putting music in its place" box set with all the lovely remasters and demos and bonus tracks. it made for an awesome journey.

i already told my having a smoke with joey cape at thee parkside story in the what are you listening to now pt 2 thread, but i also hung with fat mike and joey at the bar at bottom of the hill (also SF) when i was there for the record release party for no use for name's greatest hits album all the best songs in 2007.

oh, and here's me recording with one of the punk bands i used to be in, subside, at DML studios in escondido, CA in 1999 (where blink demoed enema of the state and used to practice quite a bit). i'm wearing my hoss tour t-shirt:

subside-DML-02.jpg

• Like 2

@Elisa Those were exactly the kind of little stories I was after, thank you for sharing. Seems like Joey has always been so happy for Blink's success I think, others seem to hold it against them/ feel a pang of jealousy - but seems like The Caper is beyond all that bullshit. Love that both bands hung out back in the day.

@Q182 nice choice of songs, good to see Change Despair getting some love. That little breakdown in Bye For Now is when I fully realised how good Lagwagon were, Joey going all quiet then breaking out with 'Never meant to let you....do-wnnn'

@daveyjones That sounds like a hell of a drive. Thanks for your little anecdotes as well. Nice guitar,  what was it like recording at DML? Was that where most San Diego bands set up shop to record back in the day?

• Love 2

5 hours ago, _Bagel said:

@Q182 nice choice of songs, good to see Change Despair getting some love. That little breakdown in Bye For Now is when I fully realised how good Lagwagon were, Joey going all quiet then breaking out with 'Never meant to let you....do-wnnn'

That was my moment for them that clicked. The other thing for me was they raised the level of musicianship in the scene, they didn’t write quick three chord songs. There were well written riffs & lyrics that they incorporated into their music that really appealed to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

Lagwagon never clicked with me for some reason. The lord knows that I've tried multiple times but weirdly without effect

Because you've lost the light of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! Repent heathen! 

Just now, twentytwenty said:

Wait, I thought Tom was our Lord and Savior? Why is he in the dark? Am I in the dark? is there even light? so many questions, so few answers

Tom is the Paul formerly known as Saul.

He once was blind but now he sees, the faith that once was missing is now his guiding light.