California & Nine combined

Scott.

7 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

Come on, even if you hate what untitled stands for with blink, you know it's a better album than Nine.

it's totally a *better* album. but assessing something is not the same as liking or disliking it. i've spit out amazing five-star cooking before; the quality doesn't matter if you don't like the food being served.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, daveyjones said:

"Cynical"
"Built This Pool"
"Home Is Such a Lonely Place"
"The Only Thing That Matters"
"Brohemian Rhapsody"
"Hey I'm Sorry"
"Parking Lot"
"Last Train Home"
"Can't Get You More Pregnant"
"Out of My Head"
"The First Time"
"Generational Divide"

I'm gonna take out Last train home and add in she's out of her mind, Ransom and pin the Grenade.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

it was only skibba's very gothic alk3 background yelps in the chorus with mark "speaking monotone in key quickly" on top that got it on the tracklist. 😉

Haha.

It absolutely amazes me that Matt Skiba has gotten worse at playing guitar as the years go on.

I can totally see SOOHM being written for EOTS or TOYPAJ with Tom at least coming up with a cool, simple signature riff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

It absolutely amazes me that Matt Skiba has gotten worse at playing guitar as the years go on.

i don't think he's gotten worse, per say i think, much like fat mike, he is lazy, tired, and more interested in boozin' and dopin.'

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, daveyjones said:

i don't think he's gotten worse, per say i think, much like fat mike, he is lazy, tired, and more interested in boozin' and dopin.'

Maybe. Though I thought Skiba got sober?

When I watch videos of him butchering WMAA's and M+M's intros, I just get infuriated. Like dude, people are paying good money to see you play these songs. At least practice a little. He's doing better with WMAA but I doubt he can play M+M's and he didn't even try to do the intro to Wasting Time.

I wish they'd just play under a different name name at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

Maybe. Though I thought Skiba got sober?

When I watch videos of him butchering WMAA's and M+M's intros, I just get infuriated. Like dude, people are paying good money to see you play these songs. At least practice a little. He's doing better with WMAA but I doubt he can play M+M's and he didn't even try to do the intro to Wasting Time.

I wish they'd just play under a different name name at this point. 

He played pretty great this last tour. Honestly plays better than Tom did in the last few years, so not really sure what your point is? If you wanna talk about skipping guitar parts we can pull up clips of Tom all day. 

• Like 2

This reminded me of trying to put together one good album from the Green Day trilogy.

1. Cynical
2. Bored to Death
3. Los Angeles
4. Left Alone
5. San Diego
6. Misery
7. Good Old Days
8. Hey I'm Sorry
9. Long Lost Feeling
10. Darkside
11. Black Rain
12. Pin the Grenade

Think I should have voted Nine instead of California for first off the best album election. 

6 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

He played pretty great this last tour. Honestly plays better than Tom did in the last few years, so not really sure what your point is? If you wanna talk about skipping guitar parts we can pull up clips of Tom all day. 

Yeah Tom fucks up all the time but I think it's more that Skiba cannot physically play some of Tom's part.  Wasting Time acoustic is a perfect example. I remember how shocked I was reading when Skiba first joined that he had to learn how to play hammer-ons and pull-offs.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

nah. listen to the first few alk3 albums. the guy has total riff chops. i just think he doesn't care.

That makes it worse then haha.  But I guess if Mark and Travis don't care, it's easy money for him with minimal effort.  I think this trumps the Dammit video:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlinkFloyd said:

I think this trumps the Dammit video.

there is a key difference: not giving a shit about riffs you're just playing for money vs. not giving a shit about riffs you actually wrote.

BTW - great find. everyone floats between sub-par and downright terrible in that clip. even travis.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, daveyjones said:

there is a key difference: not giving a shit about riffs you're just playing for money vs. not giving a shit about riffs you actually wrote.

Haha, however you want to spin it....the WMAA playing is worse.  But it's sad to think that we are even having this conversation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

nah. listen to the first few alk3 albums. the guy has total riff chops. i just think he doesn't care.

I think part of it is style.  Tom's guitar playing style is different and not what he likes to play.  It's just like when a new RHCP member plays John Frusciante guitar parts, it never feels the same as the writer.

I know we're talking blink songs here but it still makes a difference.  That's why I always wanted them to just ditch most the old songs even if they're better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlinkFloyd said:

Yeah Tom fucks up all the time but I think it's more that Skiba cannot physically play some of Tom's part.  Wasting Time acoustic is a perfect example. I remember how shocked I was reading when Skiba first joined that he had to learn how to play hammer-ons and pull-offs.  

Look up live videos of Dysentary Gary with Tom and Skiba. It’s one of the trickier blink songs to play...but tell me who plays it better. If your answer is Tom you’re wrong lol 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Crab 1

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

BTW - great find. everyone floats between sub-par and downright terrible in that clip. even travis.

Can’t blame Travis if he messed up once or twice in over 20 years. He must have secretly been so ashamed many times Playing live with Mark and Tom lol. If he had the same approach to playing his instrument as Mark and Tom did, then he’d be Scott.