Sued by the creator of one of the old bunny logos?

luisbootlegs

I recently read on a FB group that blink-182 were sued at some point by the person who originally drew the bunny that was used by the band from 1995 onwards. They had to stop using it as a consequence. Does anyone know the veracity of this?

"The Rabbit became a real issue for them after the kid that originally drew it sued! Stupid Smiley face logo replaced it."

Here's the bunny in question:

BLINKBUNNY1.jpg

Obviously I don't believe everything I read.

4 minutes ago, luisbootlegs said:

I recently read on a FB group that blink-182 were sued at some point by the person who originally draw the bunny that was used by the band from 1995 onwards. They had to stop using it as a consequence. Does anyone know the veracity of this?

"The Rabbit became a real issue for them after the kid that originally drew it sued! Stupid Smiley face logo replaced it."

Here's the bunny in question:

BLINKBUNNY1.jpg

Obviously I don't believe everything I read.

I dunno, just a few years ago they were selling new shirts of the "crappy punk rock" with that bunny just as they did in 99/2000.

In my conversation with Mr. Tsurt he mentioned that, essentially said old friends were trying to take advantage of good people. (blink) I feel like I've seen it plenty of times since then, so I don't think they had to stop using it - but certainly were sued or threatened with litigation. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

In my conversation with Mr. Tsurt he mentioned that, essentially said old friends were trying to take advantage of good people. (blink) I feel like I've seen it plenty of times since then, so I don't think they had to stop using it - but certainly were sued or threatened with litigation. 

thanks a lot mate. I have to give a listen to that episode. I clearly haven't done my homework yet 😄 - I listened to the first episode two days ago and loved it, keep up the good work.

16 hours ago, daveyjones said:

court jones, brother of cam jones. while we are on the topic, here are some preliminary sketches he made:

blink-bunny-sketches-1994.jpg

here's a scan of his **original** final pen and ink drawing used to create the graphic:

original.jpg

and he also drew the trio as three bunnies for a 95/96 shirt design:

blink-shirt-court-jones-trio-01.jpg

his brother cam as roadie was on the back:

blink-shirt-court-jones-trio-02.jpg

Thanks a lot for posting all this information. I didn't know Court Jones, brother of Cam Jones created the "Skankin bunny" logo. Is Court Jones the guy who "sued" blink for using his design then? - (I still haven't listened to the Mr. Tsurt podcast episode so I don't understand why he would do such a thing)

On 6/12/2020 at 9:30 PM, daveyjones said:

here's a scan of his **original** final pen and ink drawing used to create the graphic:

original.jpg

There's a picture of Tom wearing a "blink" T-shirt that includes the logo above in Feb 1995:

1995-02-24 San Diego, CA - SOMA (Cheshire Cat CD Release Party):
1995-02-24-San-Diego-CA-SOMA-Cheshire-Ca  

Do you know if they started using the skanking bunny logo above a year earlier, from 1994? - As far as I know in 1994 they were using the old blink logo created by Scott (my favourite one) - the one holding the watch. 

I'm not sure if this sticker is from 1994 but it already includes the skanking bunny on it:

blink-sticker-7.jpg

I'm just trying to identify the year in which they started using the skanking bunny logo, could be either 1994 or 1995

• 4 weeks later...

Like others have said, there wasn’t any actual legal action and they still use it on merch. 

I believe Travis had something to do with designing the smiley face logo and they sort of used it to go along with them “reinventing themselves” with untitled. The whole aesthetic in 2003 changed and the merch that went along with that album cycle was just geared more towards the look at that time. 

mr tsurt talks about how the bunny and smiley go together on the podcast which was very interesting.

im glad they still use old designs or make new ones with the skanking bunny. I was too young to buy merchandise for myself in the 90s and while I’ve acquired some vintage stuff, it’s nice to be able to get blink merch for $20 or whatever that has the older logo and not have to worry about wearing it and messing it up etc.

44 minutes ago, mil182 said:

im glad they still use old designs or make new ones with the skanking bunny. I was too young to buy merchandise for myself in the 90s and while I’ve acquired some vintage stuff, it’s nice to be able to get blink merch for $20 or whatever

some 90s era stuff still left here. get it while it lasts!

https://rockabilia.com/pages/search-results?q=blink-182

11 hours ago, daveyjones said:

some 90s era stuff still left here. get it while it lasts!

https://rockabilia.com/pages/search-results?q=blink-182

Thanks! I’ve been able to collect a decent amount of the years. I recently picked up one of the original orange “crappy punk rock” shirts. I believe those were out around 1999-2000. While I wish I get get a little more vintage, many of the designs from the earlier years will likely never get a reprint and a lot of older stuff, even from the early 2000s, goes for some serious cash. 

granted, I have a skanking bunny tattoo, so I take it everywhere I go anyways.