Ampeg VL Series Discussion Thread

Q182

17 hours ago, daveyjones said:

and @Q182 too... i put in the order for the two tone placards today. they will be "screen accurate" (as they say in the movie prop community) in terms of both design and color. my guy is making four (that's how much laser cut plexi pieces i had left). that leaves three up for grabs. i also bought a box of ten bulbs so i will ship them each with a replacement bulb as a bonus. $45 shipped anywhere in the US.

i'm also having him cut 24 stickers of just the lettering. for your car or whatever. will include some as a bonus.

maybe @Ry-Bread or @boxelder want one? or @mil182 or @luisbootlegs???

i do not plan on ever making more. lost access to the laser cutter for the plex.

I'm definitely going to snag one. Awesome.

• Like 1

@Q182 @blinkstillrules...

my VL-1002 is ready for pickup. completely retubed, cleaned, voltage tested, noise and hum eliminated, completely re-soldered. $50.

edit: it still has a bit of a hiss when it's fully overdriven, but the BOSS noise suppressor pedal i have in the effects loop takes care of that. i got some short patch cables and velcroed it to the back of my cabinet.

• Like 2

so i did a bit more detective work. remember i mentioned that the ampeg VLs are known to be a bit noisy when overdriven, and i have a BOSS noise suppressor pedal in my effects loop? turns out, so did tom. i also have a furman power conditioner and the very same 90s korg rack tuner in my setup.

you can see the white pedal sitting inside the empty 1U bay:

ampegs-annoted.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, daveyjones said:

so i did a bit more detective work. remember i mentioned that the ampeg VLs are known to be a bit noisy when overdriven, and i have a BOSS noise suppressor pedal in my effects loop? turns out, so did tom. i also have a furman power conditioner and the very same 90s korg rack tuner in my setup.

you can see the white pedal sitting inside the empty 1U bay:

ampegs-annoted.jpg

Nice find!

I also use a Furman. I use this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SS6Block--furman-ss-6b-6-outlet-power-strip

I don't get much hum with it. Works really well for the price. I don't even use my Boss NS-2 anymore. No rack setup for me though. I do have a pedal board, but the only pedal I really use is my Polytune 3 tuner.