Ampeg VL Series Discussion Thread

Q182

On 1/22/2021 at 2:25 AM, daveyjones said:

[ampeg photo w/ notes]

Somehow I did not notice the pedal hiding in the 1U bay all the times I've looked at this photo. This makes a lot more sense now. 

It's also worth noting the same korg rack tuner and furman power conditioner carried over into '97 when Tom started using the rackmount dual rectifier.

2 hours ago, Q182 said:

Somehow I did not notice the pedal hiding in the 1U bay all the times I've looked at this photo. This makes a lot more sense now. 

It's also worth noting the same korg rack tuner and furman power conditioner carried over into '97 when Tom started using the rackmount dual rectifier.

right? me neither!

have you got any pics from 97 of what you describe?

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 5:08 PM, daveyjones said:

have you got any pics from 97 of what you describe?

This one is a bit small but its the earliest photo of this rig (get travel, January 97)

IMG_0086.JPG.63fa4f98092fc722a3527a2762640e80.JPG

Warped Tour 97, Cal State. Most 97-era blink footage shows Tom with this rig. these rackmount mesas were only available in the blackout color scheme.

backup-guitar-case.jpg

Looks like a different power conditioner though.

• Like 1

@daveyjones new custom "blink" logos to match the same one Tom had on his Ampeg from 1995-1996 has arrived today and it is dead accurate. It's awesome and looks great.

If you have an Ampeg VL-502 or VL-1002 or are planning on getting one, you need to hit up Davey for a blink sign just like Tom's. The pics don't do it justice.

Y0LHYpz.jpeg

0rWuqqB.jpeg

2KnGA2Q.jpeg

1 minute ago, blinkstillrules said:

@daveyjones new custom "blink" logos to match the same one Tom had on his Ampeg from 1995-1996 has arrived today and it is dead accurate. It's awesome and looks great.

If you have an Ampeg VL-502 or VL-1002 or are planning on getting one, you need to hit up Davey for a blink sign just like Tom's. The pics don't do it justice.

looks GREAT!!!

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So @daveyjones@blinkstillrules once again revisiting the Kerry Key Whiskey photo:

ampegs-annoted.jpg

As Mark shared on discord some time ago, the 4x12 cabinet that we forever assumed was a part of his rig was actually part of Toms that he used as a monitor. Looking at this photo again, I conjecture this practice dates back to 1996. I think that second Ampeg is another 1002 that is running to the Ampeg 4x12 sitting with Mark's rig. Also, what makes the second amp appear grey in this photo is the flash information from Kerry's camera and/or stage lights. Channel two on both amps are engaged as well.

Here's Mark's rig from the same photo; note the Ampeg 4x12 sitting on top of his SVT-II:

ampeg96.jpg

1 hour ago, Q182 said:

Also, what makes the second amp appear grey in this photo is the flash information from Kerry's camera and/or stage lights.

sounds right about the monitor. but that second VL is totally gray. it's gray in the DML practice pics too!

blink-DML-95-02.jpg

On 5/3/2021 at 4:12 PM, daveyjones said:

sounds right about the monitor. but that second VL is totally gray. it's gray in the DML practice pics too!

Totally lost this photo, need to add it to my amp references!

In all of my research into the series, I've never found any of the VL amps (single and dual channel) with a gray control panel, they were always black. I would suggest in the DML photo that is also flash information from the camera. 

You can see in this video from Cheers (3-21-96) the same VL amp as the practice shot, custom plate and everything, with a black panel.

• Like 1

That Cheers video does bring up another amp settings mystery. I was able to get this screenshot and I adjusted the brightness/levels a bit:

Tom-ampeg-settings-96.png

On channel two:

Pre amp: ??????

Gain: between 1 and 2 o' clock

Low: 9 o' clock

Mid: 11 o' clock

FREQ: 2

High: between 9 and 10 o' clock

Reverb: between 9 and 10 o' clock (this was always turned off, but worth noting)

Master: slightly past noon

I've seen this video a bunch and just noticed this. Could these settings possibly be the answer to the Uranus era sound???

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

I picked up a VL-1002 back in early December. Googling around for info and came across this page. Love a bit of Blink182.

I already own a SS-140C combo which is my main amp, but this one came along for less than $500AUD.

The amp has some weird history. Someone has installed a midi mod, then later removed it, but bypassed the footswitch inputs, which sucks.

Seeing back in previous posts you guys are getting some super cheap techs to work on it! I've got a local Ampeg guy and he's not cheap.

Anyway. Gday!