Cultural impact: Blink vs Green Day

theedge00

Cultural Impact  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which band made the bigger cultural impact?

• Blink
    • Green Day

32 minutes ago, theedge00 said:

I suppose Blink never really had a culturally defining moment, something that really captured the zeitgeist

Green Day has done it twice.

Dookie & A.I.

Blink did it with Enema for sure.

• Like 6

I'd argue Green Day impacted music more, but blink impacted general culture more I'd argue. Think of the general pop punk aesthetic of the early 2000s.. I don't think Green Day are responsible for that. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Kay said:

Think of the general pop punk aesthetic of the early 2000s.. I don't think Green Day are responsible for that. 

but they're responsible for blink, and the entire rise of pop punk in the nineties. and it's not like blink took it further. they just extended the trend beyond its shelf-life and into the early 00s.

• Like 2

This is a great topic. I think there are valid arguments for both bands. It depends on exactly what you’re talking about when you say “cultural impact.” I feel like blink definitely had a bigger Impact on the fashion culture of the late 90s and early 2000s than Green Day ever did. Hurley exploded and all of a sudden everyone was wearing Dickies shorts. Also, I feel Blink spawned more blink ripoffs that ended up on the radio and even created a new sub genre (however you wanna label the early 2000 Emo crap) than Green Day ever did. I think with blink you heard a lot more shit get popular and you could hear their influence everywhere. I didn’t hear the rest of the music industry sounding like Green Day after Dookie or any of their records. So despite Green Day selling more records, I have to give the cultural shift and impact to blink. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Blink are a much better band than Greenday it’s not even close. I know that’s not the question but I feel like I need to say that. 

dookie is a better album than any blink album. better songs, better production, better mix. and i don't even listen to it very often.

i don't like it better. but it is better.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

2 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Blink are a much better band than Greenday it’s not even close. I know that’s not the question but I feel like I need to say that. 

See I disagree. I love blink a bajillion times more, but I do think Green Day is actually a better band. They are certainly better musicians and have managed to stay together with their classic lineup for much longer. However, after thinking about it now, I do believe blink had a bigger CULTURAL impact. I understand they were influenced by Green Day and Green Day helped set the stage for blink, but as far as leaving a mark (No pun intended hehe) on the kids and the culture, I have to give that to blink. I could also be wrong because I was only 8 when Dookie came out, so I wasn’t exactly paying attention to the kids at that time, or even allowed to listen to Green Day if I had wanted to lol. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

dookie is a better album than any blink album. better songs, better production, better mix. and i don't even listen to it very often.

i don't like it better. but it is better.

I basically just said the same thing, but about blink and Green Day in general. Green Day is clearly a better band...but I love blink a million times over GD

• Like 1

Better musicians means fuck all imo. They’re fake. Fuck them and their touring guitarists etc blink sound like shit live but that’s what punk rock is. Greenday far to polished and fake. They also sound the same on every fucking album, at least blink evolved their sound. Every blink album sounds different. I could listen to a Greenday song and forget what album it’s on. 

Dookie May sound amazing but I’m missing the part where that’s on the band? Surely that’s the producers job? Got fuck all to do with the actual band. 

billie joe and tre are massive cunts too. Only Mike comes across likeable. 

2 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i was 16 going on 17, and believe me dookie and smash were bigger in 94 than enema in 99.

I believe it. Fuck I forgot about Smash. So sick how many records that sold as an independent record. That’s never gonna be broken 

1 minute ago, Scott. said:

Better musicians means fuck all imo. They’re fake. Fuck them and their touring guitarists etc blink sound like shit live but that’s what punk rock is. Greenday far to polished and fake. They also sound the same on every fucking album, at least blink evolved their sound. Every blink album sounds different. I could listen to a Greenday song and forget what album it’s on. 

Dookie May sound amazing but I’m missing the part where that’s on the band? Surely that’s the producers job? Got fuck all to do with the actual band. 

billie joe and tre are massive cunts too. Only Mike comes across likeable. 

I’d rather blink use live touring guitarists than computerized backing tracks. Come on man!

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Crab 1