Cultural impact: Blink vs Green Day

theedge00

Cultural Impact  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which band made the bigger cultural impact?

• Blink
    • Green Day

Okay @daveyjones this story of them opening for Social Distortion just melted my heart. I didn’t get in to Social D until a little over a year ago and they’re my fave band now next to blink. 

edit- just heard you say you left cuz you didn’t care about social d lol :(

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I believe it. Fuck I forgot about Smash. So sick how many records that sold as an independent record.

yea it's the top-selling independent album of all time, certified six times platinum. and now that it's been brought up, smash, too, is better than any blink album. i saw them play in 1995 and then caught the album played straight through in 2014 for the 20th anniversary.

great retrospective, mr. brett is interviewed too:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-offsprings-smash-the-little-punk-lp-that-defeated-the-majors-189742/

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I’d rather blink use live touring guitarists than computerized backing tracks. Come on man!

Agreed. I’ve never understood the criticism GD always got for bringing in touring members to fatten up their sound. It’s live, it sounds better, and they can put on a better live show because of it. 

The route blink went destroyed their live shows instead

• Like 4

Probably Green Day.  They've won grammys and quickly got inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and no one batted an eye.  Blink never seems to even be in that discussion despite more than enough time passing for them to be inducted.  Shit, Green Day even got their own Rock Band game, and the only other band to ever get their own Rock Band game was The Beatles, clearly Green Day have left a sizable cultural mark.  But, there certainly have been times where blink felt like the bigger band, that Pop-Disaster tour closing with blink every night is a good example of that.  But, being the band with the bigger cultural impact doesn't mean you're the better more entertaining band.  Looking to Untitled vs American Idiot both came out within a year of each other, and both went platinum, but AI sold considerably better and picked up a bunch of awards, but at the end of the day that Untitled album is not only better (which it definitely is if you ask me), I also feel like it was an album with way more to say and far more willing to take chances than AI ever did.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Probably Green Day.  They've won grammys and quickly got inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and no one batted an eye.  Blink never seems to even be in that discussion despite more than enough time passing for them to be inducted.  Shit, Green Day even got their own Rock Band game, and the only other band to ever get their own Rock Band game was The Beatles, clearly Green Day have left a sizable cultural mark.  But, there certainly have been times where blink felt like the bigger band, that Pop-Disaster tour closing with blink every night is a good example of that.  But, being the band with the bigger cultural impact doesn't mean you're the better more entertaining band.  Looking to Untitled vs American Idiot both came out within a year of each other, and both went platinum, but AI sold considerably better and picked up a bunch of awards, but at the end of the day that Untitled album is not only better (which it definitely is if you ask me), I also feel like it was an album with way more to say and far more willing to take chances than AI ever did.  

I’m pretty sure blink just became eligible. You have to wait 25 years from your first album or something like that. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yea it's the top-selling independent album of all time, certified six times platinum. and now that it's been brought up, smash, too, is better than any blink album. i saw them play in 1995 and then caught the album played straight through in 2014 for the 20th anniversary.

great retrospective, mr. brett is interviewed too:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-offsprings-smash-the-little-punk-lp-that-defeated-the-majors-189742/

I remember listening to Smash with my mom when it came out, especially in the car; she'd let me sing all the words to Bad Habit.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

oh i'm more appreciative of them now, especially 1990's self-titled album! i just didn't care very much in 1996.

For sure man. I always knew the name but didn’t actually get into their music until I stumbled on it by chance a little over a year ago and now I’m obsessed

1 minute ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I’m pretty sure blink just became eligible. You have to wait 25 years from your first album or something like that. 

25 years from your first release, including super indie DIY stuff like blink's earliest demos.  Flyswatter was released in 1993.  So they'd have been eligible for the 2018, 2019, and 2020 inductions.

6 minutes ago, M!ke said:

25 years from your first release, including super indie DIY stuff like blink's earliest demos.

according to the hall's website, it's not 25 from their first recording. it's 25 from their first record (album). demos and self-released material do NOT count. so, based on how they judge it, we're looking at either buddha or cheshire cat. but i bet dollars to donuts it's based on cheshire.

• Like 1

Just now, daveyjones said:

according to the hall's website, it's not 25 from their first recording. it's 25 from their first record (album). demos and self-released material do NOT count. so, based on how they judge it, we're looking at either buddha or cheshire cat. but i bet dollars to donuts it's based on cheshire.

I swear I recall hearing how demos and self-released stuff counted.  I've been basing my thoughts on how the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame functions for years on that understanding. 

18 minutes ago, M!ke said:

25 years from your first release, including super indie DIY stuff like blink's earliest demos.  Flyswatter was released in 1993.  So they'd have been eligible for the 2018, 2019, and 2020 inductions.

Yea that’s still not something I’d consider “more than enough time” to get inducted. Not for a band like blink. Blink is not Led Zeppelin they’re not gonna get voted in the very first chance.

1 minute ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Yea that’s still not something I’d consider “more than enough time” to get inducted. Not for a band like blink. Blink is not Led Zeppelin they’re not gonna get voted in the very first chance.

Well I say more than enough time, because Green Day got in their first year they possibly could.  Even if blink gets in in 5 years (which is undeniably quick with the rock and roll hall of fame), it would still speak to how much more of a cultural impact Green Day had over blink considering how much quicker one got in over the other.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I swear I recall hearing how demos and self-released stuff counted.

from the 2020 announcement:

To be eligible for the Hall of Fame an individual artist or band must have released their first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/15/entertainment/rock-hall-fame-2020-inductees/index.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daveyjones said:

from the 2020 announcement:

To be eligible for the Hall of Fame an individual artist or band must have released their first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/15/entertainment/rock-hall-fame-2020-inductees/index.html

Oh you didn't need to link me, I concede I was wrong as soon as you first corrected me, I was just recognizing that for years I was somehow misinformed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Well I say more than enough time, because Green Day got in their first year they possibly could.  Even if blink gets in in 5 years (which is undeniably quick with the rock and roll hall of fame), it would still speak to how much more of a cultural impact Green Day had over blink considering how much quicker one got in over the other.

And you make a great point. I originally said that there are definitely arguments to be made for both and I am not mad at anybody who would pick Green Day over blink. I had my reasons to pick blink but I also recognize that Green Day made just as big if not a bigger cultural impact