Cultural impact: Blink vs Green Day

theedge00

Cultural Impact  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which band made the bigger cultural impact?

• Blink
    • Green Day

4 hours ago, daveyjones said:

yea it's the top-selling independent album of all time, certified six times platinum. and now that it's been brought up, smash, too, is better than any blink album. i saw them play in 1995 and then caught the album played straight through in 2014 for the 20th anniversary.

great retrospective, mr. brett is interviewed too:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-offsprings-smash-the-little-punk-lp-that-defeated-the-majors-189742/

No offence but you think untitled is a pile of shit so I’m not taking any of your opinions seriously tbh. Untitled shits on anything Greenday have ever done. Greenday could never make an album like that. The boring cunts

• Like 4
  • Crab 1

As for the hall of fame. Greenday were always far more corporate and serious while blink were signing about fucking dogs and talking about touching kids in their live shows not really hard to work out why Greenday got in first is it. Blink have always been looked down on unfairly 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, daveyjones said:

but they're responsible for blink, and the entire rise of pop punk in the nineties. and it's not like blink took it further. they just extended the trend beyond its shelf-life and into the early 00s.

Green Day massively influenced punk and punk culture, blink were much more responsible for its impact on the main stream and the bigger bands that followed. 

• Like 3

Blink have riffs and solos, most Greenday songs sound the same. Travis is a far better drummer than Tre. Two vocalists with great voices, the call and return tracks are fucking gold. Blink spawned two great albums in when your heart stops beating and box car racer. Better more iconic music videos, the fashion, the jokes and banter. Honestly it’s no fucking contest imo. 

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

15 minutes ago, Kay said:

Green Day massively influenced punk and punk culture, blink were much more responsible for its impact on the main stream and the bigger bands that followed. 

Blink influenced more genres. You’ve got bands like Mumford and Sons, artists like Halsey, Machine Gun Kelly and all the emo rappers like Lil Peep, Juice Wrld etc all influenced by blink. They have a far bigger reach than Greenday. Greenday is the elitist snobby choice hence people like Davey and Speedo choosing them because they can’t listen to anything else other than shitty small punk bands but Blink reaches a bigger audience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Crab 1

1 hour ago, Scott. said:

Blink influenced more genres. You’ve got bands like Mumford and Sons, artists like Halsey, Machine Gun Kelly and all the emo rappers like Lil Peep, Juice Wrld etc all influenced by blink. They have a far bigger reach than Greenday. Greenday is the elitist snobby choice hence people like Davey and Speedo choosing them because they can’t listen to anything else other than shitty small punk bands but Blink reaches a bigger audience.

Agree with this so much. There's no denying Green Day are a bigger band with a bigger fanbase but blink made a huge impact, not just with influencing bands and artists of all different genres, but in things like fashion too. Hell, blink were in one of the most famous movie scenes of the 90's. They're still influencing memes on Facebook and shit like that too.

You also have to remember that all three members of the classic blink line up are well known and distinctive in their own ways. People love the second verse of I Miss You cause of Tom's voice. They know that voice as soon as he sings the opening lyric of ATST. Travis Barker is probably the most famous drummer in modern music. And let's not forget about all the recent pop punk bands, rappers and some pop artists wanting Mark to feature on their songs. From Green Day, only Billie Joe is that recognisable IMO.

But most older listeners won't really credit blink as much as Green Day. Green Day are basically what Foo Fighters are. They're dad rock. Most older people still associate blink with being in high school and shit like that, yet they haven't really given the smiley face album a listen.

I once convinced my next door neighbour to listen to the smiley face album and he thought blink was some band that gets played in gay bars or something. He thought they were basically like Busted were or what One Direction have been for the past 5-10 years. He gave the smiley face album a listen and was actually shocked. Still he wasn't keen on Tom's voice, but that's a different topic. But this is a guy that loves the typical dad rock bands like Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Foo Fighters, AC/DC and shit like that. He likes Green Day too.

Green Day also weren't an influence on blink either IMO. Just because Mark wore a Green Day shirt, doesn't mean they were an influence. The biggest influences were Descendents, the Cure and Fugazi. I'd even argue U2 and Beach Boys have more credit in their influence on blink. Blink would've still been a band in the early 90's with or without Green Day, so I wouldn't even give that a reason for having a bigger impact either.

Green Day set the punk rock scene of the 90's to a bigger motion. They brought it to the mainstream with their Dookie album. You could argue that without the Offspring's Smash and Green Day's Dookie, if blink would be around for as long as they have been. But the punk rock scene was already on the rise. It already had a massive following in California. If there was no Green Day or the Offspring, it would've been another punk rock band in their shoes IMO. Still, Green Day can take credit for helping to shape the punk rock scene to a bigger audience but blink still made the bigger cultural impact I think.

• Like 6
  • Crab 1

I'd say anyone born 92' or later Blink is debatable for them, anyone earlier than easily Green Day.

ATST, WMAA were huge and Green Day was kind of samey by blink's stride.

I love both.  I think Green Day had a bigger impact (than majority bands to be fair?) but agree with Scott they got samey after a while and Blink always evolved their sound. Both definitely lead the pop punk genre for our generation.

• Like 1

Greenday are proper virgin music for incels.

Where as I see Blink as the more cool fuck boy band that gets all the girls.

If they both went to a party, Greenday would be the little scruffy smelly cunt in the corner bitching and moaning about people having fun and Blink would be Steve Stifler, finger blasting girls in the toilets, licking alcohol off the popular girls cleavage etc yeah something like that

• Haha 6

35 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Greenday are proper virgin music for incels.

Where as I see Blink as the more cool fuck boy band that gets all the girls.

If they both went to a party, Greenday would be the little scruffy smelly cunt in the corner bitching and moaning about people having fun and Blink would be Steve Stifler, finger blasting girls in the toilets, licking alcohol off the popular girls cleavage etc yeah something like that

8 hours ago, Scott. said:

Blink influenced more genres. You’ve got bands like Mumford and Sons, artists like Halsey, Machine Gun Kelly and all the emo rappers like Lil Peep, Juice Wrld etc all influenced by blink.

wow. you've managed to list like five garbage artists in a row. thanks, blink.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1