Cultural impact: Blink vs Green Day

theedge00

Cultural Impact  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which band made the bigger cultural impact?

• Blink
    • Green Day

6 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Green Day also weren't an influence on blink either IMO. Just because Mark wore a Green Day shirt, doesn't mean they were an influence. The biggest influences were Descendents, the Cure and Fugazi.

i love the fan fiction you can read on this site.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i love the fan fiction you can read on this site.

How is it fan fiction if blink themselves have credited who their influences are? What have we seen about Green Day being an influence, besides Mark wearing a Kerplunk shirt? A shirt from an album released in 1991? Mark was covering songs by the Cure long before that.

Was there much Fugazi influence in Blink early on?

I think Weasel and NOFX must've been huge influences in the earlier years. 

I think Green Day influenced more bands than we think of. They played that kind of pop punk very early.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scott. said:

Don’t you have some obscure Latvian punk band to be listening too? Snobby McSnob

How is it snobby to listen to bands from other countries? Are you're saying is that you can only listen to bands from the us to be credible in your eyes? What's wrong with Latvian punk bands?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Scott. said:

Blink have riffs and solos, most Greenday songs sound the same. Travis is a far better drummer than Tre. Two vocalists with great voices, the call and return tracks are fucking gold. Blink spawned two great albums in when your heart stops beating and box car racer. Better more iconic music videos, the fashion, the jokes and banter. Honestly it’s no fucking contest imo. 

Blink does not have solos , come on man! Maybe a half of a lousy solo back in the day but seriously...no. This was actually a stupid point for you to bring up because Green Day does solos, Billie joe could dance around Tom or Matt on the guitar 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

How is it fan fiction if blink themselves have credited who their influences are?

because who a musician says are their influences and who actually influenced their music are two different things.

the shirt picture was a fucking joke. jesus. "mark approves of green day." HAHA.

i'll just speak to the foundational influences. listening to mark's early bass style, it's clear the influence is ned's atomic dustbin. i mentioned this on the podcast; the brit alt rock band with two bass players, one of whom plays two stringed chords while the other plays a standard line. his barre chord and two-note alternating open string strumming style (heard most distinctly during the intro to "carousel," the bridge to "M+M's," the verses of "cacophony," the intro to "TV," and the bridge of "ben wah balls") is ripped straight from the dustbin. listen to "happy" off 1991's god fodder. that song's chorus clearly is the foundation for the bass hooks on "carousel" :

and the intro for "nothing like" off that same album is clearly lifted by hoppus and injected into several blink tracks:

as for tom's early work, he definitely cites screeching weasel quite a bit. blink even covered a non-album track, "the girl next door." demoed it in 95 and played it live all that year. listening to his early guitar work, he's not lying; there is definitely the weasel going on. and the bass work too! "i wanna be a homosexual" could actually be on cheshire cat:

both mark and tom have claimed the descendents as a major early influence, but i can only see that in the lyrics really. tom does cite ALL specifically in terms of his guitar tones (though he's not even 1/32 of the player that stephen egerton is).

also tom was very into face to face in 93 and 94. check out "promises" off big choice, which tom basically rewrote into "touchdown boy" :

oh and let's not forget bad religion... the structure to "dammit" (lead riff by itself, then launch into full band behind the verse chord progression with the riff continuing on top) comes right from 1993's "american jesus" :

the point i'm trying to make is, if you want to actually talk about band influences, you need to listen to the actual music they were listening to and compare. fugazi? bullshit. not until tom was writing boxcar songs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

How is it fan fiction if blink themselves have credited who their influences are? What have we seen about Green Day being an influence, besides Mark wearing a Kerplunk shirt? A shirt from an album released in 1991? Mark was covering songs by the Cure long before that.

It’s still incredibly stupid and arrogant to say Green Day wasn’t an influence on blink. Just because GD isn’t listed as an influence on blinks wikipedia page doesn’t mean they weren’t an influence. They so obviously were

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

How is it snobby to listen to bands from other countries? Are you're saying is that you can only listen to bands from the us to be credible in your eyes? What's wrong with Latvian punk bands?

I was trying to be funny mate. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

1 minute ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Just like your arrogant and biased opinion of Green Day? Ok got it 

Exactly. It’s not biased. I think there are plenty of bands better than Blink. I’m no Blink dick rider. When do you ever see me posting in the blink section? I’m just not having Greenday as a better or more influential band thank Blink. 

2 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Exactly. It’s not biased. I think there are plenty of bands better than Blink. I’m no Blink dick rider. When do you ever see me posting in the blink section? I’m just not having Greenday as a better or more influential band thank Blink. 

I just don’t think you know what you’re talking about. For 1, you mentioned blink has solos Which makes them better than GD, when in fact blink does not have solos and GD does. Then you have a bone to pick with GD because they use a touring guitarist, but you have no problem with blink using backing tracks. None of that even makes any sense and it’s just the tip of the iceberg in regards to your tirade on this subject lol

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Scott. said:

I’m just not having Green Day as a better or more influential band thank Blink. 

in terms of the rock 'n roll hall of fame...green day's career trajectory squashes blink's like a grape.

dookie, their smash mainstream hit, was their third album. that was 1994. so you'd have to pretend enema came out in 1994 to compare their career and sales arcs. which means blink, on green day's timeline, would have released a second album in 1996 and another in 1998 (which was well-spoken of but a blip on the radar compared to the critical lauding american idiot got). then broken up in 2000, reunited around 2005, released one more album in 2007, then split again (counting skiba blink, as most do, as an entirely different project).

compare that to the albums that green day put out throughout the nineties to now. a fucking musical based on american idiot. "good riddance (time of your life)" was the fucking theme song for the 1998 seinfeld finale episode retrospective clip show, which was watched live by like 4.3 billion fucking people.

anyone who thinks blink's "cultural impact" or "legacy" or whatever eclipses green day's either a.) wasn't alive in 1994 b.) was too young to listen to music in 1994 or c.) doesn't know how to use google.

PS. i prefer blink to green day by a 1000% margin, and the only two green day albums i actually bought are dookie and insomniac.

• Like 2

@daveyjones this is a little off topic, but I was watching random videos on YouTube last night and one I watched was blink playing ATST to close out the 2000 MTV VMAs. I assume you watched that. And if so, what was your reaction to that given you had been hanging out with the band just a few years earlier? I know it’s not to it favorite lineup and time period of blink, but that had to be kind of crazy seeing them do that? Or maybe not since they’d already been all over TV. 

18 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I was watching random videos on YouTube last night and one I watched was blink playing ATST to close out the 2000 MTV VMAs. I assume you watched that.

i gave up TV in 1999, so no i did not see it. but i've seen the picture at the back of anne's book, with fireworks and little people being lowered on ropes and shit?

for me crazy was seeing the WMAA video debut. for that one we were all like What The Living Fuck... that's when we (when i say "we" i mean the socal / san diego scene) knew they were destined to become a TRL boy band. because they were being marketed directly to children. when they sing "no one likes you when you're twenty-three" they're clearly singing to 11 year olds who are dreaming of being twenty-three.

as opposed to the cheshire cat days, which was about "i'm 17, you're 17, girls don't like us, we are all the same."

sidenote: the bands that stayed in the scene and didn't go the MTV route never shot for younger. NOFX would go from "we're all in our twenties" to ...thirties to ...forties. same with descendents. listen to everything sucks, then cool to be you, then hypercaffium spazzinate. the lyrics are consistently written at the age of the songwriters, presupposing an audience of about the same age listening.

same thing goes for your new friends social distortion. which is why those bands tend to age better. it's really hard to listen to "kids can't vote adults elect them" sung by a 25 year old when you're middle-aged. i can't even imagine what it's like to perform it!!!

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i gave up TV in 1999, so no i did not see it. but i've seen the picture at the back of anne's book, with fireworks and little people being lowered on ropes and shit?

for me crazy was seeing the WMAA video debut. for that one we were all like What The Living Fuck... that's when we (when i say "we" i mean the socal / san diego scene) knew they were destined to become a TRL boy band. because they were being marketed directly to children. when they sing "no one likes you when you're twenty-three" they're clearly singing to 11 year olds who are dreaming of being twenty-three.

as opposed to the cheshire cat days, which was about "i'm 17, you're 17, girls don't like us, we are all the same."

sidenote: the bands that stayed in the scene and didn't go the MTV route never shot for younger. NOFX would go from "we're all in our twenties" to ...thirties to ...forties. same with descendents. listen to everything sucks, then cool to be you, then hypercaffium spazzinate. the lyrics are consistently written at the age of the songwriters, presupposing an audience of about the same age listening.

same thing goes for your new friends social distortion. which is why those bands tend to age better. it's really hard to listen to "kids can't vote adults elect them" sung by a 25 year old when you're middle-aged. i can't even imagine what it's like to perform it!!!

Thanks man I appreciate your input. I agree with you 100% and I just wanted to see what it was like for you when you first started to see them really blow up. That line from Anthem pt 2 really does make me cringe lol, and yea I bet it’s lines like that which made Tom kind of turn his back on blink. Because he did grow up. They definitely were pandering to the young crowd with Enema and especially TOYPAJ. 

1 minute ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I just wanted to see what it was like for you when you first started to see them really blow up.

They definitely were pandering to the young crowd

listen to part 2 of the 182news podcast when it drops. i really get into this with @Ry-Bread.

and i would not say "pandering" because i feel that's pejorative. i do not diss them for this. marketing is the business of the people selling the product. they wanted to shoot younger and they were tremendously successful for doing so. good on them! just for people of my generation, "Generation Cheshire Cat" it was like, well this music is not for me anymore. i wanted to listen to bands closer to my own age singing to me about my own shit.

• Like 3