Cultural impact: Blink vs Green Day

theedge00

Cultural Impact  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which band made the bigger cultural impact?

• Blink
    • Green Day

lol the greenday fanboys at it hard

it makes them feel so good inside to tell everyone about how green day is an epic multi-generation mega genre defining band

its gotta be almost orgasmic for them to do that

in reality they are prety close both have been tremendously huge and are well known

they both have writen amazing songs

and will b remembered for years to come

i think green day has the persona that makes them even more famous

and have had prob a little bit more sucess overall 

especialy with their american idiot era

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

7 minutes ago, Mard_Smartiest_Blinkfan said:

lol the greenday fanboys at it hard

it makes them feel so good inside to tell everyone about how green day is an epic multi-generation mega genre defining band

its gotta be almost orgasmic for them to do that

in reality they are prety close both have been tremendously huge and are well known

they both have writen amazing songs

and will b remembered for years to come

i think green day has the persona that makes them even more famous

and have had prob a little bit more sucess overall 

especialy with their american idiot era

What on earth did I just read. Lol 

• Like 1

It’s kinda more complex than it seems on the surface imo. Green Day had more time together, put out more albums, and thus did well for themselves. But from where I stand, and from my experience, blink really did more to inspire bands sonically than I’ve ever seen Green Day do. Green Day was more of just a popular thing (twice admittedly) that happened, but blink inspired the sound of several bands (for better or worse) that followed. Sure, Green Day opened doors for blink to have a place in the market, but I’ve seldom see a lot of the popular bands that followed claim to have been musically inspired by Green Day like they claim they’ve been inspired by enema era blink.

It’s weird though, because I think American Idiot was both the best and worst thing that ever happened to Green Day. At the time, it was huge, and got them out of a rough commercial  slump for sure. But in retrospect I think it’s aged terribly for a whole lot of people.

For example at bars with general crowds that have touch tunes, it’s usually your typical top 40 stuff that gets played. But every once in a while, someone will put on some nostalgic stuff containing both Green Day and Blink. When something like Basket Case, Good Riddance, and/or Holiday will pop on, nobody cares. Nobody moves. Nobody sings along. But then a few minutes later what’s my age again, damnit, I miss you, and/or All the small things pops up and that same crowd will eccentrically sing every fucking word in unison. It’s jarring. And it’s happened at several bars I’ve been to over the years. Sure that’s just my experience in just little ol Buffalo, NY, but it sure as shit wasn’t just a one off fluke.

With American Idiot, it was the right thing at the right time, but it feels like a lot of what made it popular then makes it seem so contrived in hindsight today. Them adhering to the “cool kid” guy liner and studded belt look that was everywhere in ‘04. The Bush bashing that was on the rage in a crazy election year that made it widen it’s demographic at the time. But it kinda pigeon holed them into a certain outlook from the general public, and what was cool then just seems so lame now. A lot of it just feels a bit phony now. 

Make of that what you will, but I grew up to both of them at the peak of their popularity, and the people I grew up with seem to get a much more nostalgic jolt with blink than they ever do with Green Day. Even now, a blink concert is basically a high school reunion with literally every clique attending. Blink and Green Day both played near me in 2017 and literally everyone was at the blink show while no one I knew, literally not one person, was like “hey, who’s going to Green Day?” on Facebook. Again, make of that what you will.

• Like 2

green day was just popular, but everybody wanted to be like blink, thousands of ppl started a band cause of blink. everyone wanted a strat or play like travis or make a sweet and easy bass lines like mark does and just have a great time. besides, mark, tom and travis were and still are a hugely likeable persons with strong charisma, they are absolutely were like a pop punk heros to everyone. nobody says "i wanna be cool just like tre or mike". ppl were more close to blink cause it's always felt like they are your bestfriends. green day became a stale boring piece of crap, sometimes with great songs, but most of them doesn't hit like blink always did with melodies, riffs, hooks everytime. billie joe can shred however he wants and play all these notes and be better skilled guitarist but tom delonge will outdo him with a simple 3 note progression so you forget about green day exists. green day always felt like a one man band. while blink were entertaining af even with a non talking travis. green day felt nothing more like just a good band, blink felt like it's our family.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, daveyjones said:

and speaking of t&s @Patient #48273 have you heard their new one? interesting mix of synth pop, rock, and acoustic. some of the tracks like "don't believe the things they tell you (they lie)" could be on a blink album imo.

I have, yeah. I think there are a couple of great songs on there and a handful of good ones too. Some of them are better if you've read their memoir, High School.

8 hours ago, daveyjones said:

great song

No.

5 hours ago, bobbo11290 said:

It’s kinda more complex than it seems on the surface imo. Green Day had more time together, put out more albums, and thus did well for themselves. But from where I stand, and from my experience, blink really did more to inspire bands sonically than I’ve ever seen Green Day do. Green Day was more of just a popular thing (twice admittedly) that happened, but blink inspired the sound of several bands (for better or worse) that followed. Sure, Green Day opened doors for blink to have a place in the market, but I’ve seldom see a lot of the popular bands that followed claim to have been musically inspired by Green Day like they claim they’ve been inspired by enema era blink.

It’s weird though, because I think American Idiot was both the best and worst thing that ever happened to Green Day. At the time, it was huge, and got them out of a rough commercial  slump for sure. But in retrospect I think it’s aged terribly for a whole lot of people.

For example at bars with general crowds that have touch tunes, it’s usually your typical top 40 stuff that gets played. But every once in a while, someone will put on some nostalgic stuff containing both Green Day and Blink. When something like Basket Case, Good Riddance, and/or Holiday will pop on, nobody cares. Nobody moves. Nobody sings along. But then a few minutes later what’s my age again, damnit, I miss you, and/or All the small things pops up and that same crowd will eccentrically sing every fucking word in unison. It’s jarring. And it’s happened at several bars I’ve been to over the years. Sure that’s just my experience in just little ol Buffalo, NY, but it sure as shit wasn’t just a one off fluke.

With American Idiot, it was the right thing at the right time, but it feels like a lot of what made it popular then makes it seem so contrived in hindsight today. Them adhering to the “cool kid” guy liner and studded belt look that was everywhere in ‘04. The Bush bashing that was on the rage in a crazy election year that made it widen it’s demographic at the time. But it kinda pigeon holed them into a certain outlook from the general public, and what was cool then just seems so lame now. A lot of it just feels a bit phony now. 

Make of that what you will, but I grew up to both of them at the peak of their popularity, and the people I grew up with seem to get a much more nostalgic jolt with blink than they ever do with Green Day. Even now, a blink concert is basically a high school reunion with literally every clique attending. Blink and Green Day both played near me in 2017 and literally everyone was at the blink show while no one I knew, literally not one person, was like “hey, who’s going to Green Day?” on Facebook. Again, make of that what you will.

Lol to say people don’t get excited or sing along to Green Day is really just ignorant and based on your experiences. Are you out and about in various cities every night to explore your theory? I love how people always make opinions based on their own little experiences. 

And I encourage you to check the ticket sales of the blink and Green Day concerts near you in 2017. I bet you GD sold more. Just because nobody in your little click didn’t go to GD doesn’t mean  shit 

2 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Lol to say people don’t get excited or sing along to Green Day is really just ignorant and based on your experiences. Are you out and about in various cities every night to explore your theory? I love how people always make opinions based on their own little experiences. 

And I encourage you to check the ticket sales of the blink and Green Day concerts near you in 2017. I bet you GD sold more. Just because nobody in your little click didn’t go to GD doesn’t mean  shit 

You have such a little boner for Greenday 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Scott. said:

You have such a little boner for Greenday 😂

Na I actually cringe at modern day Green Day, and rarely ever listen to them. But still,  facts are facts. If you’re right, you’re right. And if you’re wrong (like you), you’re wrong. 

41 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

Greenday = Teenage girl emo music, occasional hit

Blink = Cooler kids, down to earth adults, many hits

Pretty simple

Like I said before Greenday is for little incel cuck cunts like Diddy Dipshit.