Cultural impact: Blink vs Green Day

theedge00

Cultural Impact  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which band made the bigger cultural impact?

• Blink
    • Green Day

13 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

I’m on the pro-warning train as well, great album. @daveyjones; what about minority? One of my favorite GD songs period

perhaps because i did not listen to the album until almost a full two decades after it was released, warning does nothing for me. i am right now discovering the video for "minority" for the first time. this is paint-by-numbers green day, imo.

for another song that covers the same lyrical ground, i recommend:

Can we just agree that both bands appealed to different people. 

You had a cultural phenomenon in American Pie using blink and their music for all the cool kids 

And then I’d imagined some geeky, incel chess playing cunt movie would use Greenday to appease all the smelly virgins with no friends hence Speedo, Diddy shitcunt and the likes choosing Greenday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Scott. said:

Can we just agree that both bands appealed to different people. 

You had a cultural phenomenon in American Pie using blink and their music for all the cool kids 

And then I’d imagined some geeky, incel chess playing cunt movie would use Greenday to appease all the smelly virgins with no friends hence Speedo, Diddy shitcunt and the likes choosing Greenday. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/urjV1MBJZogvVmrBA

16 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i know you're tolling hard, but i'll play along. i don't know what planet you're living on. but we live on earth. and on planet earth, warning—arguably the band's worst album—was a top twenty hit in no less than eight countries.

Maybe commercially but you throw on blink nearly every song is a hit. Rollercoaster, Reckless Abandon, Everytime I Look For You, hit, hit, hit. Give me one good reason, occasional miss.

You could skip half of Green Days songs and be a better person. They're so repetitive! Sure they probably inspired a lot of accountants.

2 hours ago, Jan's Plan said:

Maybe commercially but you throw on blink nearly every song is a hit. Rollercoaster, Reckless Abandon, Everytime I Look For You, hit, hit, hit. Give me one good reason, occasional miss.

You could skip half of Green Days songs and be a better person. They're so repetitive! Sure they probably inspired a lot of accountants.

Do you even know what a "hit" is? Looks like you're only viewing a hit as a song that you like

• Like 3

As a fan of both bands it’s always fun to read these kind of discussions. All the Green Day hate makes me laugh, as I used to be active on a GD forum where most people used to write the same kind of comments about blink.

I don’t really have anything to add, but here in norway, green day has always been way bigger than blink. At least as far back as I can remember. I didn’t even discover blink before I started to look for bands that sounded like GD.

1 hour ago, Maddey said:

As a fan of both bands it’s always fun to read these kind of discussions. All the Green Day hate makes me laugh, as I used to be active on a GD forum where most people used to write the same kind of comments about blink.

I don’t really have anything to add, but here in norway, green day has always been way bigger than blink. At least as far back as I can remember. I didn’t even discover blink before I started to look for bands that sounded like GD.

In Sweden as well. Blink has only played here once as well, and it was at their peak in 2000 to 1200(!)persons worth of an half empty arena. When Green Day comes to visit they play for at least 10.000 but mostly more. Most people in Sweden doesn't even know that blink released music after TOYPAJ while Green Day is an arena band here

18 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

In Sweden as well. Blink has only played here once as well, and it was at their peak in 2000 to 1200(!)persons worth of an half empty arena.

yea but then again your people consider john fogerty a "living legend" LOL

seriously though, this does bring up the american bias. it's very easy to prove that internationally, green day is way, way, way more popular and familiar than blink.

42 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

and i listen mostly to loud, aggressive punk rock. so, again, warning goes in the rubbish bin.

You also listen to Ani Difranco, I don't buy that the acoustic element is what turns you off.