Five Years of Skiba

Champ182

1 hour ago, lost in reverie said:

Is Skiba still a band member? It's a long time since I heard of him blink related. The last were those strange video interviews where he is behaving and looking not like himself...

I mean, we haven't heard otherwise but you're right that we haven't heard of him in anything Blink related lately, he hasn't been included in any songs that "feature Blink 182" or anything either. I assume he's still in the band but probably won't be a part of anything until it's time to record vocals. Hopefully it's not anything more serious than that (regarding those interviews).

6 hours ago, Neal said:

That being said i wish he'd put more effort into learning the classic riffs correctly. Not saying that it would change my perception of blink, but it would change my perception of him

Yeah can't deny that, with all the rightful excuses made for him on the records (we really don't know, but if all hints point to him being neutered on input) you can't fully excuse his poor performance on all classic blink songs. You can say he doesn't care because they stripped all his say in the band, but even then it's kind of douchey to just sit up there like a piece of cardboard and botch every other guitar part

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

Yeah can't deny that, with all the rightful excuses made for him on the records (we really don't know, but if all hints point to him being neutered on input) you can't fully excuse his poor performance on all classic blink songs. You can say he doesn't care because they stripped all his say in the band, but even then it's kind of douchey to just sit up there like a piece of cardboard and botch every other guitar part

It's not just guitar parts - it's also his lacklustre vocal performances live

case in point

that whole performance is so sad in general

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Perfect replacement.  Literally couldn’t have gone any better, so thankful for him graciously stepping in and helping save my favorite band.

bending over backwards here dude -- you know as a longtime fan it should have gone better, and what we have now is a worst-case scenario. it's completely transparent that matt's phoning it in to what mark and trav want, which is to remain relevant. it's creatively lopsided and feels dishonest. you know this

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, boxelder said:

bending over backwards here dude -- you know as a longtime fan it should have gone better, and what we have now is a worst-case scenario. it's completely transparent that matt's phoning it in to what mark and trav want, which is to remain relevant. it's creatively lopsided and feels dishonest. you know this

If he's happy with it then that's his opinion. It's a very questionable opinion but he's happy, leave him to it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, boxelder said:

I don't agree, NINE sounds great and both albums have tons of Matt influences, some things sounds straight out of Alkaline trios playbook even

• Love 1

58 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

Well yeah, that’s kinda obvious. I would argue that even Tom sounds better than Mark at this point.

Mark was pretty bad at riotfest last time I saw him. He was really straining his voice. It actually was kind of a bummer because i'm thinking how bad will his voice sound if he ever records with Tom again? It honestly reminds me of when Tom's voice changed only it was clearly from age and not popping pills like Tom's case apparently but it made me feel old.

I remember during the first reunion tour when we all complained how bad they sounded compared to before the breakup.

This makes me think in 10 years we'll be salivating for Mark's current voice and hating on his future voice.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, boxelder said:

bending over backwards here dude -- you know as a longtime fan it should have gone better, and what we have now is a worst-case scenario. 

I literally wouldn’t change one thing. The dudes are a happy functioning band making music I enjoy, and playing near me almost every summer. Couldn’t be happier with the state of current blink, we are honestly insanely spoiled by the last 5 years. 

One huge takeaway I have from building up our social pages and from my podcast is that there are TONS of fans of new blink out there who love this era, and quite honestly are sick of the negativity from the haters stuck in the past.

• Like 3
  • Crab 1

3 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

I literally wouldn’t change one thing. The dudes are a happy functioning band making music I enjoy, and playing near me almost every summer. Couldn’t be happier with the state of current blink, we are honestly insanely spoiled by the last 5 years. 

One huge takeaway I have from building up our social pages and from my podcast is that there are TONS of fans of new blink out there who love this era, and quite honestly are sick of the negativity from the haters stuck in the past.

Dude people were so sick of Tom and no music really expectations were so low only they could fuck it up. It's not negativity dude, we all wanted to like it and tried, it's just really bad in every aspect other than the fact it exists.  I don't know how anyone can blindly listen to their recent releases and think they're putting any real effort in.  It feels like such a brand they are just using by letting songwriters in for every song

I had expectations 'this could be pretty cool, probably just a step below +44 or possibly better if they really click' and turned into 'this is at least better than 5SOS'

• Like 3
  • Love 1

You're entitled to your opinion and everything, but

giphy.gif

• Love 1

and quite honestly are sick of the negativity from the haters stuck in the past.

yea i think it's important that everyone is let to like what they like. haterade gets you nowhere. i see this with TV shows a lot, people bitching that they didn't like the latest season of whatever. ok, if westworld isn't doing it for you anymore, just don't watch it. it's not like anyone is making you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, daveyjones said:

yea i think it's important that everyone is let to like what they like. haterade gets you nowhere. i see this with TV shows a lot, people bitching that they didn't like the latest season of whatever. ok, if westworld isn't doing it for you anymore, just don't watch it. it's not like anyone is making you.

I get that, but I also have seen a spike in what appears to be astroturfing. The main culprits appear to be Netflix and Disney. If you've spent much time on Reddit, you'd know what I'm talking about - countless circle jerk threads that are upvoted to the front page about mediocre shows. 

• Like 1

Zero of the problems I have with current blink have anything to do with Matt, and whenever Matt’s influence is more apparent (which is still far too rare) its a great thing. Matt is 100% a positive for blink. Losing Tom sucks but gaining Matt is nothing but good imo. The more of Matt we get the better blink-182 will be. It’s just sad that he’s underused. NINE was a great step in the right direction to me.

• Like 8