Five Years of Skiba

Champ182

7 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

It's a little rude to just assume what Matt did/didn't write based on his past releases.  Maybe he was tired of writing in the same style he's done his entire career and wanted to try something different? 

Half of these comments assume the dude is just selling out.  Normally, I'd agree but Matt is a fucking weird dude and as long as he can live in his creepy apartment and do bad paintings of Batman he's happy.  Jesus, just think of all the pain he's taken from being in this band.

This is how I chose to see it as well, it all depends on how talented he is as a songwriter. 

I also think it's funny and ironic that the one song that I hear the most Matt/Trio influence on is one of the most hated (based on this forum alone) of all the Skeebs182 era songs

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

This is how I chose to see it as well, it all depends on how talented he is as a songwriter. 

I also think it's funny and ironic that the one song that I hear the most Matt/Trio influence on is one of the most hated (based on this forum alone) of all the Skeebs182 era songs

Which one?

2 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

Haha damn, I thought I wrote it. Teenage Satellites is the one I’m referring to. That chorus is all Matt, sounds like it’s directly lifted from a My Shame Is True B-side

Oh yeah. I actually love that song. It totally sounds like it could’ve been on that album. Weird though since he apparently doesn’t contribute anything.

23 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Matt brought blink back to life. Regardless of anyone’s opinions on the music, call it zombie blink or whatever you want but without Matt blink was dead. Tom was prepared to break record contracts because he couldn’t find the time to commit to blink. He wasn’t going to record or write new music. The band was done until Matt stepped in.

Hence why I said he didn't kill the band. Neither did Tom despite his best efforts.

Mark and Feldy were the ones who killed blink.

• Like 1
  • Crab 4

The only song that really sounds like it was fully driven by Skiba is Last Train Home. Black Rain is almost there as well, but Mark's verses take it in a different direction. I would love to hear more independent Skiba songs like Last Train Home though, it's one of their stronger tracks since California. 

9 hours ago, Tom Bot said:

The only song that really sounds like it was fully driven by Skiba is Last Train Home. Black Rain is almost there as well, but Mark's verses take it in a different direction. 

Matt wrote Mark’s verse lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As a long-time fan of Skiba before he joined blink, I think its so hard to pinpoint his influence in blink. Hes an amazing artist that has done a lot of different stuff with diversive sounds like Trio, Sektres, Heaven, theHELL. None of that sounds alike. Two songs like NHTSO and Hungover You has a lot of Skiba on it, even when they sound so different. Mark and Matt wanted to work together for a long time, so why would'nt he have an influence on it?

• Like 3

On 7/1/2020 at 8:54 PM, Russel Coight said:

Matt brought blink back to life. Regardless of anyone’s opinions on the music, call it zombie blink or whatever you want but without Matt blink was dead. Tom was prepared to break record contracts because he couldn’t find the time to commit to blink. He wasn’t going to record or write new music. The band was done until Matt stepped in.

Without Matt, the latest blink release is DED in 2012. Who can honestly say that they wish blink died after DED? Who posting here can say they prefer NOTHING to what has happened since DED? 8 years people. It’s not like Tom has been begging to come back.

Thank you Matt!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ghent said:

Without Matt, the latest blink release is DED in 2012. Who can honestly say that they wish blink died after DED? Who posting here can say they prefer NOTHING to what has happened since DED? 8 years people. It’s not like Tom has been begging to come back.

Thank you Matt!

The last blink release i enjoyed was back in 2012. I would've prefered a hiatus after that instead of the new material we got, but that's just my personal opinion and i'm glad a lot of people get to enjoy the new material..

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Ghent said:

Thank you Matt!

Since the announcement of the DED vinyl release, I've been listening to this EP a lot recently. I'd still take DED over all of California Deluxe, half of California and half of NINE.

It's sad to think 'Pretty Little Girl' remains as last contribution Tom made to blink-182. Lyrically it's been his best song since the self-titled record. I've also forgotten how much I enjoyed 'Boxing Day'. It's a shame things ended the way they did with Tom leaving the band, because when he's motivated (even if it was a cash-grab) he could still create blink's magic. 

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Ghent said:

Thank you Matt!

While it was nice to have new music to talk about and debate about, for the legacy I ultimately would rather have had it be DED with the slight chance of some other EP in the time since. 

It would be painful having your favorite band done but watching them do what they're doing now is actually worse. Imo.

I'd have no problem if they were writing with Matt either, and I didn't love it, it's just everything they're doing right now is so disingenuous and fake, and pretty arrogant.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Ghent said:

Thank you Matt!

We could have gotten more alk 3 albums instead?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, thongrider said:

@Ghent

If Blink ended in 2012 and Mark and Trav started a band with Feldy and Skiba would like California and NINE (assuming they're identical or more contributions from Feldy) as much as you do now? 

i've always said that if i pretend it's a different band entirely, it's easier for me to handle.

• Like 2