Five Years of Skiba

Champ182

4 hours ago, theedge00 said:

If they never got together after DED, perhaps we would have gotten another +44 record, or probably another (experimental) side project... Pretty exciting if you ask me.

There’s nothing stopping us getting that as well as new blink though. I mean we got simple creatures. That was pretty different/experimental for Mark and Travis is always busy doing side stuff so we’re still getting side projects plus new blink so that’s a win for me personally.

And I don’t think it’s too out there to assume if Mark and Travis did do another +44 that they still would’ve gotten Feldmann to produce. They still would’ve needed a producer and I can still see Feldy teaching out to Travis so it may have just ended up as a similar situation just under the +44 name.

29 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

There’s nothing stopping us getting that as well as new blink though. I mean we got simple creatures. That was pretty different/experimental for Mark and Travis is always busy doing side stuff so we’re still getting side projects plus new blink so that’s a win for me personally.

And I don’t think it’s too out there to assume if Mark and Travis did do another +44 that they still would’ve gotten Feldmann to produce. They still would’ve needed a producer and I can still see Feldy teaching out to Travis so it may have just ended up as a similar situation just under the +44 name.

Would they afford him under the +44 moniker though? Based on his track record he can’t be cheap..

9 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Would they afford him under the +44 moniker though? Based on his track record he can’t be cheap..

No idea tbh. I didn’t even think of money lol. It felt like Feldy was the one who really wanted to work with Travis and Mark so maybe he would’ve taken a lesser cut to get associated with them? But he also could’ve just been after an association with the band ‘blink-182’ rather then with the members.

Is Travis a bigger name in the music world today then he was around the first +44 album? It definitely feels like it to me but I don’t follow anything to do with the pop world or hip hop world. If that was the case maybe the label would be willing to put more money towards recording a new album that they could afford Feldy. But I don’t know much at all about how bands get money from labels or whatever so that could be completely wrong l.

the fact that Tom has repeatedly said "he could come back whenever he wants" and he hasn't come back in five years makes me very happy that the band continued without him.

I mean he's apparently "comitted" to AVA right now and it's still taking him years to release an album.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Is Travis a bigger name in the music world today then he was around the first +44 album?

Hmmm he did have his ridiculous MTV Reality Show around that time right? I think he was pretty massive in the pop culture world but hadn't started doing quite so many collabs and stuff yet.

On 7/7/2020 at 2:06 PM, Ry-Bread said:

Trav is def a bigger name now, he’s been #1 on the Rock Producers list recently. He will go down as a legendary producer, mark my words.

Bloody love Travis. Not the biggest fan of his work in all that rap stuff outside of a few select songs, but count me as one of the few who thinks Travis' drumming from Neighborhoods, California and Nine is great.

4 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Bloody love Travis. Not the biggest fan of his work in all that rap stuff outside of a few select songs, but count me as one of the few who thinks Travis' drumming from Neighborhoods, California and Nine is great.

I think most people feel this way? 

• Like 2

On 7/7/2020 at 7:34 AM, Russel Coight said:

No idea tbh. I didn’t even think of money lol. It felt like Feldy was the one who really wanted to work with Travis and Mark so maybe he would’ve taken a lesser cut to get associated with them? But he also could’ve just been after an association with the band ‘blink-182’ rather then with the members.

Is Travis a bigger name in the music world today then he was around the first +44 album? It definitely feels like it to me but I don’t follow anything to do with the pop world or hip hop world. If that was the case maybe the label would be willing to put more money towards recording a new album that they could afford Feldy. But I don’t know much at all about how bands get money from labels or whatever so that could be completely wrong l.

"But he also could’ve just been after an association with the band ‘blink-182’ rather then with the members." That could actually be the case, or something in between. Maybe wrong to speculate over, but it hasn't hurt his brand to have blink on his resume.

All I mean is +44 wouldn't have earned the label as much money as blink does, and that's why I wondered if they would have seen Feldmann as the right choice for a +44 album since I'm pretty sure that he's expensive. But what do we know? Maybe he's not that expensive when he's working with blink

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom Bot said:

I think most people feel this way? 

I've definitely read posts on here where Travis has been criticised for not being as creative as he used to be or something. But the guy still comes up with great beats IMO.

33 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I've definitely read posts on here where Travis has been criticised for not being as creative as he used to be or something. But the guy still comes up with great beats IMO.

I think an argument can be made that he overplayed on Neighborhoods, which is a thing according to my musician friends. In other words, his stuff was so technical and prominent, it overshadowed other elements of the songs. I think that speaks more to Mark and Tom’s lack of creativity (particularly the bridges) than Travis overplaying though, IMO. In the Cali era, Feldy neutered the sound and poppiness of the drums (I imagine due to compression?) compared to all the previous albums, but that’s not Travis’ fault.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

I think an argument can be made that he overplayed on Neighborhoods, which is a thing according to my musician friends. In other words, his stuff was so technical and prominent, it overshadowed other elements of the songs. I think that speaks more to Mark and Tom’s lack of creativity (particularly the bridges) than Travis overplaying though, IMO. In the Cali era, Feldy neutered the sound and poppiness of the drums (I imagine due to compression?) compared to all the previous albums, but that’s not Travis’ fault.

Yeah, he definitely does a lot more in the post-reunion blink songs but I'm still a fan. I love the drums in HAG, Kaleidoscope & FTG. I think for the California drums, they're using drum trigger programs for a lot of them, but like you say not really his fault.

42 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

He definitely did overplay things on Neighborhoods. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. DED was better though

In my opinion the album he had the best playing on if we're talking about drum arrangement was TOYPAJ. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Bot said:

I think an argument can be made that he overplayed on Neighborhoods, which is a thing according to my musician friends. In other words, his stuff was so technical and prominent, it overshadowed other elements of the songs.

that's a solid description for his entire tenure with the band.

9 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

"But he also could’ve just been after an association with the band ‘blink-182’ rather then with the members." That could actually be the case, or something in between. Maybe wrong to speculate over, but it hasn't hurt his brand to have blink on his resume.

All I mean is +44 wouldn't have earned the label as much money as blink does, and that's why I wondered if they would have seen Feldmann as the right choice for a +44 album since I'm pretty sure that he's expensive. But what do we know? Maybe he's not that expensive when he's working with blink

They would have had the money as well as Feldy’s respect and desire to work with them. Not everybody Feldy has produced has bookoo bucks and were multi-platinum acts anyways

• Like 1

6 hours ago, daveyjones said:

that's a solid description for his entire tenure with the band.

Yeah sort of... That was kind of the charm of Enema-Self Titled blink though was the simpler bass and guitar and then Travis going crazy on drums in the background to contrast.  Occasionally it can be too much when you just want it to chill.  Neighborhoods - California definitely too much at times although I love DED instrumentals.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tom Bot said:

I think a big part of what made Blink stand apart from all the other pop punk bands of the era was Travis. Most bands you could swap their drummers, including Scott, and never know the difference. Travis added a big layer to Blinks sound with EOTS that it just didn't have before.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Sirwesker said:

I think a big part of what made Blink stand apart from all the other pop punk bands of the era was Travis. Most bands you could swap their drummers, including Scott, and never know the difference. Travis added a big layer to Blinks sound with EOTS that it just didn't have before.

Yeah I do agree with this but I still think blink would stand out a bit without Travis as well. Gotta include blink having Mark & Tom both being singers with contrasting voices. Tom's riffs on Dude Ranch are pretty unique too. Then the more pop punk blink sounding AVA/Tom DeLonge songs like Overload, Circle Jerk Pit, An Endless Summer, New World and Golden Showers are really unique to the point only Tom/blink could come up with them kinda songs IMO. I've always felt there's been a massive difference in blink's sound compared to the other pop punk bands though.

Then California came along and although Travis kills it on that album, to me it doesn't stop some of the songs sounding like every other pop punk band from 2005 and onwards. I think a lot of what makes blink stand out is Tom and Mark blending together as well.

• Love 1