Five Years of Skiba

Champ182

1 minute ago, Speedo said:

Why do you say this?

Well, it has been 5 years. He has gone above and beyond his call of duty, which was originally just to fill in for awhile. He never really attempted or wanted to stake his own kind of claim to the band. Has just been a soldier of productivity.

I guess I just have the gut instinct that it's time to move on to something different for both parties.

• Like 3

Just now, Ghent said:

Well, it has been 5 years. He has gone above and beyond his call of duty, which was originally just to fill in for awhile. He never really attempted or wanted to stake his own kind of claim to the band. Has just been a soldier of productivity.

I guess I just have the gut instinct that it's time to move on to something different for both parties.

I wouldn't mind seeing Blink put to bed. Bring back +44 or do the side project thing for a while. I'd like to see them do some one without restraints to genre or style.

• Like 6
  • Crab 1

4 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I'm right here with you 110%.  Tom re-joining is my nightmare because he WILL stymie and fuck the band up again. 

It has just been proven to be a dysfunctional combo at this point. I really don't thinkt it will happen either way. Both camps seem much happier without each other

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thongrider said:

It'd be really cool if we got Mark and Travis collaborating with different people including Tom, Skiba and Feldmann.

Not sure if you're trolling, but I would be fine with that

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It kinda feels like it's naturally gone this way lately. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of announcement from Mark sometime after the pandemic settles down like, "We want to thank Matt for his incredible time in Blink, he'll always be a part of the Blink legacy, but he's going back to his fulltime duties with his true love Alkaline Trio and we couldn't be happier for him. Travis and I are still Blink 182, and we're going to keep making music as Blink 182 forever. Blink life for life."

And then Blink will move on as the two of them, working more and more with collaborators and songwriters filtering in and out of the process the way they did for Nine, but with more people featuring on the actual songs. That's my prediction right now anyway.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

This doesn't make much sense though unless 1. Matt wants out 2. Tom wants back in ? If they need an extra songwriter/touring guitarist Matt has already proven he is perfect for this, so I just don't know why they would switch it up for no reason? Especially if Matt's totally down with them doing stuff without him and only coming in when needed. Also it looks like he's in the music video today, so we're probably all blowing this way out of proportion per usual lol.

Maybe matt wants out and tom cant join full time so mark and travis will just continue without both of them. They see they could write a blink song without matt or tom, released it and is pretty well recieved. I mean, they continued when Tom left/was fired. i would have never expected that. I reeeeeeaaally hope they dont though. I dont want blink to be a collab project with Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga songwriters. I hope they find some one else and start a new band. Justin Pierre? Jim Atkins?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

I mean, he's making millions of dollars so it's not like this has been a drag for Skiba. I don't see why Skiba would walk away from that much money either. 

5 hours ago, Reg said:

I hope they find some one else and start a new band. Justin Pierre? Jim Atkins?

Justin Pierre was like the only other guy I could see actually replacing Tom. Has a fantastic voice and range that could suit Tom-centric songs, decent guitar player, incredible lyricist on par with (prime) Mark, and has experience working with Mark in the studio. Obviously if that happened I would hope that they start a new band because it would be kind of ridiculous to pull a Journey and have a revolving door of frontmen. Gonna nerd out here but realistically it ain’t gonna happen since MCS is like 50% active right now due to the band becoming fathers so I doubt Justin would even be available to rigorously tour as much as blink does. I know it’s never gonna happen, nor would I want it to at this point, but I just killed one of my pipedreams lol. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Kay said:

Justin Pierre is a muuuch better lyricist than Mark. Justin's one of the best lyricists in the genre, man's a straight up poet. 

Personally, I would agree but didn’t know how much of a bold statement that would be on here. Mark has had some pretty great lyrics during the 2000s but I would say Justin is more consistent. One of my favorite things about MCS is how Justin is able to write some relatable and occasionally goofy lyrics but is still able to sound profound without some unnecessarily deep and cryptic metaphor. I may be wrong because he still writes some cryptic shit every once in a while but he’s much more literal in a sense then others. Same thing goes to Mark in some capacity but there’s been a definite quality drop since 2016. Justin’s probably one of my favorite lyricists. I honestly wish I could write like him but I have too much writer’s block to just “let go.”

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

i think skiba and deryck whibley were the only two realistic options. i bet justin pierre probably hasn't spoken to mark in 10 years. 

I don’t know about Deryck in blink but after watching that LP tribute show for Chester, I honestly think he was the only one that did justice in covering Chester’s parts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Neal said:

It has just been proven to be a dysfunctional combo at this point. I really don't thinkt it will happen either way. Both camps seem much happier without each other

having both tom and matt would be too much 

something great requires usualy the right mix, not just the same things in an excessive amount

• Like 2

11 hours ago, boxelder said:

i truly don’t mean to be insensitive, and he’s an odd guy anyway, but some of his insta posts are pretty bizarre. it makes me wonder if there’s other stuff going on. we know he’s had issues with substance abuse. he was sober for a while, but mark confirmed last year that he wasn’t any longer.

Have you got a link to Mark mentioning Matt’s sobriety? That’s genuinely worrying. He doesn’t seem like the kind that can just have a little and that last radio show stream they did he definitely looked coked up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Have you got a link to Mark mentioning Matt’s sobriety? That’s genuinely worrying. He doesn’t seem like the kind that can just have a little and that last radio show stream they did he definitely looked coked up.

Don’t mean to be a conspiracy theorist, but to add the conversation Matt just looks so off compared to Mark and Travis. I know the interviewers could give less of a shit so he’s probably bored but he isn’t this fidgety in interviews. I was worried when I saw that iHeartRadio show because he looked like he gained a large amount of weight in a very short time, so I assumed it was due to alcohol possibly. I looked through some pictures of him during the Enema tour and he wasn’t as skinny as he was around 2018 but he didn’t look completely bloated as he did at the iHeartRadio show. With everyone’s vocal tracks (including Tom’s) coming through the mix I just thought the whole show was off. He looks a better face-wise in a that weird pantie video he posted the other day but some people speculated that Matt posted something saying he was “drunken and heartbroken” but I can’t find anything. I’m genuinely worried for him if that’s the case.

• Like 1