Five Years of Skiba

Champ182

1 minute ago, Depf said:

name one song on nine that has "no guitar". the vast majority is very guitar centric.

this is either super low effort trolling or musical illiteracy. i suspect the latter. 

maybe there wasnt enough flang and delay for untrained ears to hear them though 

I don't understand that criticism either ... I can hear the guitar clearly on every track and I've only got the one good ear.

1 hour ago, Kay said:

I suspect Matts guitar work on Nine was minimal at best. I don't see how one shot of him doing guitar now magically means he was there front and centre throughout nine, there was no evidence of it whatsoever and none of the guitar work sounds remotely like him (hell most of the tracks barely seem to have actual guitars on them) 

People who can’t accept the evidence in front of them decide to crab accurate comments like this 

• Love 1

The guitar work on the album has barely any identity or nuance to it, it's more basic than old school 3 chord pop punk, and it's mostly covered in other shit with the OTT pop production. That's what I meant. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

The guitar work on the album has barely any identity or nuance to it, it's more basic than old school 3 chord pop punk, and it's mostly covered in other shit with the OTT pop production. That's what I meant. 

Why does it have to be nuanced and anything other than basic ... it's what works with the song. You can say it doesn't work or you don't like the pop production element, fine, it's subjective but it's a little disingenuous to lead on like it doesn't exist, is it not?

8 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Why does it have to be nuanced and anything other than basic ... it's what works with the song. You can say it doesn't work or you don't like the pop production element, fine, it's subjective but it's a little disingenuous to lead on like it doesn't exist, is it not?

I agree with Kay. It’s very hard to even decipher where the fuck the guitar is on so many spots on that album. It definitely doesn’t feel like guitar driven music to me anymore, whereas Enema was definitely guitar driven music 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I agree with Kay. It’s very hard to even decipher where the fuck the guitar is on so many spots on that album. It definitely doesn’t feel like guitar driven music to me anymore, whereas Enema was definitely guitar driven music 

It isn't the same band, album, or style as enema though and they weren't promising that either. So, what does it matter? It'd be one thing if they touted the guitar heavy nature of it but, as far as I remember, they didn't, it wasn't even called a nod to a previous era.

• Like 1

I do think Nine has enough guitars but it's like the song Violence from the smiley face album. None of them will translate well when it comes to live performances. The ones that I think will translate well to live performances are the more guitar driven songs like First Time, Generational Divide and Pin the Grenade.

They'd have to improvise for some of the other tracks I think. The songs Down and Easy Target sounded fucking awesome in 2004 cause of it but now they just use click tracks and it doesn't work nearly as well iMO. But I do think Nine has a lot of guitars. Just most of the songs are produced to sound that way, just like the outro of Easy Target, most of Violence and Down from the smiley face album.

4 minutes ago, Speedo said:

It isn't the same band, album, or style as enema though and they weren't promising that either. So, what does it matter? It'd be one thing if they touted the guitar heavy nature of it but, as far as I remember, they didn't, it wasn't even called a nod to a previous era.

I’m just saying it’s not guitar driven music. It can be different than Enema and all that, but still be guitar driven music. But it’s really not for the most part. Which I think just circles back to the griping you hear from people 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jlx9 said:

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Matt didn’t entirely record all the guitar parts on NINE. Not saying he didn’t at all because you know when Matt shows up on guitar based on his playing style, but considering how much songwriters/producers that were collaborating with blink, it wouldn’t be odd if one of them recorded a lick or two. There was that Heaven jam that we all thought was totally Matt and then it ended up being one of Travis’ friends. Matt’s not even credited on Happy Days and that also sounded like something he would probably play. 

I’m pretty sure the guitars on Cali/Cali DLX were a mix of Matt, Mark, and Feldy.

I wasn’t suggesting Matt records all the guitar work for the albums just that the theory that he only comes in to record his vocal lines and that’s it is obviously not true.

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

I wasn’t suggesting Matt records all the guitar work for the albums just that the theory that he only comes in to record his vocal lines and that’s it is obviously not true.

Yeah to be fair sometimes Mark and a producer tells him what power chords to play as well as where on the fretboard he should play that same lead rice that they use in every other fucking song.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Yeah to be fair sometimes Mark and a producer tells him what power chords to play as well as where on the fretboard he should play that same lead rice that they use in every other fucking song.

Gotta love a good ol Dan zinger! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

What’s a lead rice? Is that brown rice or white rice? Mexican rice perhaps ?

6 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

What’s a lead rice? Is that brown rice or white rice? Mexican rice perhaps ?

I don't know but it's known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.