Tom's Sticker Strat 94

Flames

In the Soma 94 footage that surfaced, Tom's playing his signature Sticker Strat, it's all stock without any modifications, with single coils and he's using the 4th position on the Pickup selector like he did with his Red Strat, he probably is using a different amp too. Just some stuff i found cool that i thought i would share lmaoScreenshot_20200629-175306.thumb.jpg.76a53bd06dd00f5575c8e90a866043dd.jpgScreenshot_20200629-180007.thumb.jpg.ae76f015cb17fc9c44e9df1a12a94f70.jpg

The Bridge pickup appears to be the JB Jr. that is found in the middle position on the sticker strat throughout 1995 until he stopped using it in late 1997. The Seymour Duncan Hot Rails is in the neck and the pickup selector in that still image looks like it's on the neck position.

@daveyjones @Q182 Could it be Cheshire Cat was recorded with the Seymour Duncan JB Jr and not the DiMarizo X2N?

Also of note, Scott Raynor is not drumming in this video. @daveyjones is that Mike Krull?

Whoever posted this video, fantastic find/share. I'm downloading it from YouTube now and later this week I should have it ripped to mp3 each individual song.

• Like 1

Just now, blinkstillrules said:

Could it be Cheshire Cat was recorded with the Seymour Duncan JB Jr and not the DiMarizo X2N?

I am placing my bets that the JB Jr. is the pickup we hear on Cheshire Cat. Mark states during the show that the sessions for CC had just wrapped up, which more or less confirms that the X2N was not in the guitar at the time of recording. Hot Rails in the neck, stock Fender pickup in the middle, bridge model JB Jr. (moved to the middle position in 1995).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blinkstillrules said:

The Bridge pickup appears to be the JB Jr. that is found in the middle position on the sticker strat throughout 1995 until he stopped using it in late 1997. The Seymour Duncan Hot Rails is in the neck and the pickup selector in that still image looks like it's on the neck position.

@daveyjones @Q182 Could it be Cheshire Cat was recorded with the Seymour Duncan JB Jr and not the DiMarizo X2N?

Also of note, Scott Raynor is not drumming in this video. @daveyjones is that Mike Krull?

Whoever posted this video, fantastic find/share. I'm downloading it from YouTube now and later this week I should have it ripped to mp3 each individual song.

So weird if he was in the neck position! Wtf. Maybe he hadn’t figured out the guitar yet. Then again, maybe he still hasn’t. He uses a dirty fingers humbucker in a hollow body played through a vox 🤣

• Like 5

I also think M+M's may have been recorded with the hot rails on the neck. I need to do some experimenting when I get time.

I was playing the riff tonight on the X2N, JB Jr and Hot Rails, although on my Mesa, and the hot rails sounded pretty good. The JB Jr sounded good too but the Hot Rails may have sounded the best. Again I need to test it on my Ampeg.

I wonder if Tom put the JB Jr and Hot Rails in because he wanted humbucker pickups and they fit the single coil slots with no modification.  Then decided after to route the bridge for a full size bucker with more power and got the X2N.

That Fender head behind him has me wondering if the Ampeg was purchased after CC was recorded.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

I also think M+M's may have been recorded with the hot rails on the neck. I need to do some experimenting when I get time.

I was playing the riff tonight on the X2N, JB Jr and Hot Rails, although on my Mesa, and the hot rails sounded pretty good. The JB Jr sounded good too but the Hot Rails may have sounded the best. I'm only taking about the intro riff. Again I need to test it on my Ampeg.

i super love that we nerd out on this shit. makes my work week, honestly.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

10 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i super love that we nerd out on this shit. makes my work week, honestly.

Right there with you. I love this discussion! 

With all this evidence/info I really think it’s the Hot Rails JB Jr. on CC, and that the JB Jr. is a bridge model pickup. The tones on CC aren’t very crunchy as opposed to Dude Ranch, which is the X2N full on. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Q182 said:

The tones on CC aren’t very crunchy as opposed to Dude Ranch, which is the X2N full on. 

totally. which is why i set my VL-1002 to max low, max high, zero mid when playing DR. the X2N just sears with those settings. great for approximating fletcher's crunch on later PW albums too.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

totally. which is why i set my VL-1002 to max low, max high, zero mid when playing DR. the X2N just sears with those settings. great for approximating fletcher's crunch on later PW albums too.

The DR settings you gave me are perfect to me ears when I drop the frequency from 5 to 4.

We gotta experiment with CC settings now and the other two pickups 

31 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yea i would get a kickstarter going for @Ry-Bread to have either jeff or O on.

Jeff is 100% coming on, let me know if there are additional questions I need to ask him.

If anyone has contact info or knows where to find O, I’ll start working on him. EDIT: Found and inquiring.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1

I've been doing a bit of research, and i think that Tom used a Fender M-80 Chorus head live for this, it's the most similar looking i can find. It's really cool to me cause He used to use a Fender Princeton Chorus and a Fender M-80 Preamp in 93. 

Screenshot_20200630-192958.jpg

h7resmnz4a0fqawpw3sc.jpg

• Like 1

@daveyjones @blinkstillrules I just set my ampeg to the double time warm settings. On the neck/middle pickups, the tone is CC PERFECTION. Although my neck pickup is stock, the hot rails would give it that full sound.

I am now 100% certain Cheshire Cat is the hot rails and the stock middle pickup on the sticker strat. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Q182 said:

@daveyjones @blinkstillrules I just set my ampeg to the double time warm settings. On the neck/middle pickups, the tone is CC PERFECTION. Although my neck pickup is stock, the hot rails would give it that full sound.

I am now 100% certain Cheshire Cat is the hot rails and the stock middle pickup on the sticker strat. 

He used the middle/neck also i'm pretty sure for the Buddha tone also, like in this picture. I'm guessing he used to do it for more of a Less Buzz, Deeper sound

f8b5d2402193d9fa0f418c0cba8a35ed.jpg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Q182 said:

Awesome!

• Like 1