Tom's Sticker Strat 94

Flames

28 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Jeff is 100% coming on, let me know if there are additional questions I need to ask him.

If anyone has contact info or knows where to find O, I’ll start working on him. EDIT: Found and inquiring.

Anything I posted in this thread regarding Tom's gear on the record.... Guitar, pickups, amps, any amp settings Jeff remembers or has notes of from CC, Uranus, and Lemmings.

Would love to get notes/info from Trombino about DR. I messaged him on Facebook last year but never got a reply.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Jeff is 100% coming on, let me know if there are additional questions I need to ask him.

If anyone has contact info or knows where to find O, I’ll start working on him. EDIT: Found and inquiring.

yes man what a DREAM!!! i want every detail we can suss out for all the sessions he participated in. i'll email you @Ry-Bread.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Cool. I’m assuming @daveyjones list will cover your questions as well @blinkstillrules,  just shoot me some questions in layman’s terms - I’m not a gear head so need to be able to ask them effectively. 

I'm sure Davey will have it all covered. If you wanna share Davey's questions here, I can read them and if I don't have anything different to add we should be good. @Q182 may have some as well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

I fucking hate Tom's rig and tone since he went to Gibson haha.

yup. barf.

cheshire cat and dude ranch have zero effects on them, save for some vocal reverb.

tom, if you want to drown unsophisticated octave riffs in a deluge of pedal effects, just audition for the foo fighters, bro.

HAHA. Tom Deluge.

• Like 3

One of the coolest things about this video is we now can assume with reasonable certainty why Tom's sticker strat had a JB Jr and a Hot Rails in the middle and neck positions when he was using an X2N in the bridge. The X2N was added later after the other two.

Also Cheshire Cat being recorded with the Hot Rails and middle stock Fender single coils combined in selector switch position 4 is mind blowing.

Might be safe to say Buddha and Short Bus were probably recorded in position 4 with the middle and neck single coils on the red strat.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yup. barf.

cheshire cat and dude ranch have zero effects on them, save for some vocal reverb.

tom, if you want to drown unsophisticated octave riffs in a deluge of pedal effects, just audition for the foo fighters, bro.

HAHA. Tom Deluge.

I remember when he appeared on MTV TRL to play Feeling This with that fucking custom Gibson right before self titled dropped. I was like WTF where's the strat? I thought the red Gibson was a BCR thing.

20 year old me was bummed having loved those strats haha. I was even more bummed when he decided to go delay pedal crazy and using Vox and Fender amps with AvA and with blink post hiatus.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Q182 said:

Right there with you. I love this discussion! 

With all this evidence/info I really think it’s the Hot Rails JB Jr. on CC, and that the JB Jr. is a bridge model pickup. The tones on CC aren’t very crunchy as opposed to Dude Ranch, which is the X2N full on. 

I tried my VL-1002 today with my sticker strat. I used @daveyjones Cheshire Doubletime settings and tried it on position 5 Hot Rails only and position 4 Hot Rails and JB Jr. together. I think position 4 sounded dead on.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, blinkstillrules said:

I remember when he appeared on MTV TRL to play Feeling This with that fucking custom Gibson right before self titled dropped. I was like WTF where's the strat? I thought the red Gibson was a BCR thing.

20 year old me was bummed having loved those strats haha. I was even more bummed when he decided to go delay pedal crazy and using Vox and Fender amps with AvA and with blink post hiatus.

You didn’t notice the Gibson in the Feeling This video beforehand?

1 minute ago, Diddy Faplord said:

You didn’t notice the Gibson in the Feeling This video beforehand?

I saw the live performance before I saw the music video. I heard the song way before that though. It was originally called "Action" and leaked online ripped from a Madden game.

This is the performance I'm referring to:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

I saw the live performance before I saw the music video. I heard the song way before that though. It was originally called "Action" and leaked online ripped from a Madden game.

This is the performance I'm referring to:

Yea I forgot that it was called action and on Madden! That brings back some memories lol

Theory: Tom got the idea for the X2N from Billie Joe Armstrong.

We already assume he probably angled that bridge humbucker like BJ did with his in blue, but in this pic from the early 90s, you can see the Bill Lawrence humbucker BJ has angled in the bridge looks like a DiMarzio X2N at a first glance. I wonder if Tom thought it was an X2N and that's why he put one in his sticker strat.

As @Q182 pointed out to me in chat, the poles on the X2N are thicker, but at a glance and not really knowing anything of Bill Lawrence, I think it's easy to mistake BJ's for a DiMarzio X2N.

Compare:

5yjIfe0.jpg

161d8fb090f5dba566fe82392167594ab554e7ea

• Love 2

10 hours ago, Burgersandcole said:

What if the fender was rented for the show, cause the ampeg was getting worked on? just a guess. 

as fas we know, he bought the ampeg with the cargo advance money for cheshire cat. so any time in the final quarter (fall) of 1994. the first evidence we have for him using it live is the CC record release show in february, 1995 at SOMA.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I thought u remembered reading somewhere that Tom recorded CC on a Marshall that was in the studio. I’m assuming either a JCM 800 or possibly 900. There’s definitely a lot of gain on that record and sounds a bit hotter and hairier, like an ampeg but it’s hard to tell. 

I will try to find the source.

while it makes sense that he would use the money to buy gear (as he clearly did),  from my own experience, playing in bands and recording in different studios, sometimes you use your own gear, sometimes you use stuff in the studio and often times a mix of both. 

I’m going to try to dig this up but it would not surprise me if tom was tracking in a position between the neck and middle pickups into a jcm and Marshall 4x12. 

anyways, I’m a huge nerd for this stuff. Great find and discussion. I’m making a white strat replica currently, even if I can’t get the stickers or anything like that, I’m going to try to nail the tone and see if I can contribute to helping figure out what was going on back in the day! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mil182 said:

I thought u remembered reading somewhere that Tom recorded CC on a Marshall that was in the studio.

you are correct that he recorded using one of brett's amps at westbeach. this is the quote in anne's book: "to add to the sense of awe, tom would actually record through bad religion guitarist mr. brett's amp."

but we also know from mark's 1994 fall interview at the denny's in santee that parts were redone at doubletime: "we're doing to take the reels in to doubletime studios here in santee and work all of the guitar tracks and re-do some of the vocals [emphasis added]." the way mark worded it, all of the guitar parts could have been re-recorded. which would have been on the VL-1002, as tom did with the uranus sessions.

one of the reasons @Ry-Bread is trying to get jeff forrest on the 182news podcast is to clarify issues like this.

i will say, i've played a JCM 800 and 900. and the tone on CC sounds more like my ampeg.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

the tone on CC sounds more like my ampeg.

Totally, especially in that 4th pickup position. I'm actually going to take in my VL-1002 in soon to get new tubes (KT77's, basically a beefed up EL-34) and will report back if that has any effect on achieving these sounds, particularly Dude Ranch as that is a low end heavy sound.

• Like 1

@daveyjones thanks for clearing that up! 

I agree with you that CC definitely sounds more like an ampeg than either JCM, it’s the quote from the book I was thinking of then. I haven’t read it in a while but I do have it so I’m sure that’s what I was thinking of. 

I’m definitely looking forward to hearing any answers we may get from Jeff!