NEW SONG LEAK - FALLING

Hyland

1 hour ago, NotNow said:

Why does this matter when they don’t even play Matt music live anyway.

They don’t? Last full show they played the set list was 1/3 Matt era songs. Seems pretty fair.

Like don't get me wrong I’d totally prefer a newer set list, more new songs, less old hits, longer set times etc but let’s actually be honest about it.

Seems like this may have been one of the earlier ones when they ended up coming to the conclusion of “We are recreating California”, which led to them completely re-thinking their approach and going with different producers. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ixidor said:

@Russel Coight After three albums worth of material, point me towards the Matt songs. Perhaps I am mistaken and can't remember the tunes.

There’s easily a few songs on Nine alone that are Matt lead and driven. Darkside, Black Rain, NHTSO. People will want to argue he has no input even in those etc but I have zero interest in going down that discussion again.

But it’s just occurred to me that maybe you meant songs that were only Matt. Like where he sang the entire song solo, in which case yeah there isn’t any yet and I take back the crab if that is what you meant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

There’s easily a few songs on Nine alone that are Matt lead and driven. Darkside, Black Rain, NHTSO. People will want to argue he has no input even in those etc but I have zero interest in going down that discussion again.

But it’s just occurred to me that maybe you meant songs that were only Matt. Like where he sang the entire song solo, in which case yeah there isn’t any yet and I take back the crab if that is what you meant.

I am here for the argument and don't mind it.

The fact that after three albums there is no Matt only song says enough about his status in the band. And it is a shame because it seems that blink nowadays tries to be that nostalgia, back to roots act, at the expense of creativity. Are Mark and Travis scared that a Matt only song will ruin their legacy or something? Reality is, the more you dwell on this the more awkward it looks. But I guess the producers might have a hand in this, who knows, it is 200 people working on 10 songs. I went to Wikipedia and checked who's involved in each song off Cali and nine, saw a bunch of names I've never heard and closed the page.

And sorry but it is not pure blink if hundreds of people touched up the songs. That is entirely pop music territory and they even hired pop music guys. I do hope blink had a point to prove nowadays but it is hard to have a chip on your shoulder when you are set for life, had success on many levels and generally might feel creatively drained at this point. Once again, props for Tom and his strive for the unknown, whatever it is in his eyes, and for calling his shots and never compromising. He wants to make music - makes it with two more dudes, he decides to slam the brakes - there goes five years with minimal musical output. He does not live by people's expectations, very much unlike today's blink. I digress again.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Ixidor said:

I am here for the argument and don't mind it.

The fact that after three albums there is no Matt only song says enough about his status in the band. And it is a shame because it seems that blink nowadays tries to be that nostalgia, back to roots act, at the expense of creativity. Are Mark and Travis scared that a Matt only song will ruin their legacy or something? Reality is, the more you dwell on this the more awkward it looks. But I guess the producers might have a hand in this, who knows, it is 200 people working on 10 songs. I went to Wikipedia and checked who's involved in each song off Cali and nine, saw a bunch of names I've never heard and closed the page.

And sorry but it is not pure blink if hundreds of people touched up the songs. That is entirely pop music territory and they even hired pop music guys. I do hope blink had a point to prove nowadays but it is hard to have a chip on your shoulder when you are set for life, had success on many levels and generally might feel creatively drained at this point. Once again, props for Tom and his strive for the unknown, whatever it is in his eyes, and for calling his shots and never compromising. He wants to make music - makes it with two more dudes, he decides to slam the brakes - there goes five years with minimal musical output. He does not live by people's expectations, very much unlike today's blink. I digress again.

No Heart to Speak of makes me think there is some contract or whatever keeping Matt from singing entire lead by himself. Why Mark sings that second verse is beyond me. Great song though. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 2:07 PM, Speedo said:

Yeah, I've heard all of that. No real interest in hearing them again and wouldn't go out of my way to find more. I appreciate the art that was meant to see the light of day as the finished vision of the band, I don't want to know or even care how they got there.

I don't ever want to be one of those "it's about the art" people. This is basically me being that person and it's disgusting. @M!ke I was wrong, bud, I'm sorry. No one likes a pretentious shithead and I was being one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thongrider said:

No Heart to Speak of makes me think there is some contract or whatever keeping Matt from singing entire lead by himself. Why Mark sings that second verse is beyond me. Great song though. 

Could be but I don't think such details will ever be disclosed. Overall, the whole Tom departure and settlement will likely never go public.

9 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

are there any Mark-only songs though? It feels like every song has both of them. I'm probably wrong but off the top of my head I can't think of one. Not counting the short joke songs.

20 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

are there any Mark-only songs though? It feels like every song has both of them. I'm probably wrong but off the top of my head I can't think of one. Not counting the short joke songs.

Happy day’s is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. The Christmas song is very minor Matt but he’s there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Happy day’s is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. The Christmas song is very minor Matt but he’s there.

Good Old Days but Matt does backup vocals throughout.

7 hours ago, thongrider said:

Dude! I swear there was some legal business that leaked a couple years ago that claimed that “a song is not legally considered a blink-182 song unless Mark is featured.”

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 4:53 AM, Jan's Plan said:

The only recycled riff that ever pissed me off by Tom was the 'Thunderstruck' riff on Young London.

wait, what? all of tom's high E string hammer-ons, from "carousel" and "m+m's" on through to "dumpweed" and "natives" are a stylistic rip-off of AC/DC's "thunderstruck." surely you noticed?

33 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

Good Old Days but Matt does backup vocals throughout.

Dude! I swear there was some legal business that leaked a couple years ago that claimed that “a song is not legally considered a blink-182 song unless Mark is featured.”

Good old days is probably my least listened to full song so no wonder I missed that haha.

Honestly I don’t remember anything leaking just people making assumptions that that was the case. It’s definitely the most logical reasoning behind there being no full Matt songs but people love to complain so they run with the conspiracy theories.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Honestly I don’t remember anything leaking just people making assumptions that that was the case. It’s definitely the most logical reasoning behind there being no full Matt songs but people love to complain so they run with the conspiracy theories.

I’m pretty sure it was something the blink182italia guy managed to somehow get, and then it began spreading to the subreddit and then to here, if anything. Still feels like some odd fever dream because I can’t find the info but I swear I’ve seen it before lol. Maybe it was a conspiracy but like you said it makes the most sense logically. There are definitely many cases where Matt should’ve taken the full lead on songs (BR, NHTSO, PL, etc.).

• Like 1