Are Some Blink 182 Lyrics Misogynistic?

Tombomb

44 minutes ago, thongrider said:

Depression can hit anyone. 

I understand that. Still doesn’t take away this is a fake ass album to stay relevant when Emo became the next big thing. Funny timing for them to all of a sudden “get depressed”!, especially at the height of their success and in their prime, achieving all of their dreams. 

• Crab 1

Just now, Diddy Faplord said:

I understand that. Still doesn’t take away this is a fake ass album to stay relevant when Emo became the next big thing. Funny timing for them to all of a sudden “get depressed”!

Isn't Adam's Song more about depression than any song on thar album? 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

2 out of 3 of those marriages ended in divorce, who knows what problems they were facing at the time. Depression can hit anyone, sucess doesn't even equate - see Anthony Bourdain, Chris Cornell, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hoppus - the list unfortunately kind of goes on, well, forever...

Untitled is Blink singing about what they've always sung about, relationships, breakdown of said relationships, isolation, longing etc. I don't see it as disingneuous. Tom's haircut maybe, but fuck me if he didn't do that shtick better than anyone else anyway 

That haircut was fucking horrible 

• Wow 1

7 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

It's so great that in 2020 there are still people who think "this person's life looks great, they couldn't possibly be depressed!!!"

It's akin to someone saying they have cancer and you respond by saying  'B-but...you're rich and successful? How could you have cancer?? Why??'.

4 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

That haircut was fucking horrible 

Okay, now you've crossed the line. Once I take my lip ring out, you're getting a slap

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Diddy you sound like a jackass right now. It's not like Untitled was out of the blue. TOYPAJ, silliness aside, was darker than previous albums. Then he did BCR, which literally includes the song about him thinking he was going to die on it, and then untitled. There's a pattern. 

• Like 8

Just now, _Bagel said:

It's akin to someone saying they have cancer and you respond by saying  'B-but...you're rich and successful? How could you have cancer?? Why??'.

Okay, now you've crossed the line. Once I take my lip ring out, you're getting a slap

I mean that’s not the same thing at all. Having cancer and being rich, successful and having everything anyone could ever want in this life but choosing to bitch about your life anyways are not at all the same. But your second comment was genuinely funny. 

Just now, Kay said:

Diddy you sound like a jackass right now. It's not like Untitled was out of the blue. TOYPAJ, silliness aside, was darker than previous albums. Then he did BCR, which literally includes the song about him thinking he was going to die on it, and then untitled. There's a pattern. 

You might be right. All I’m really trying to say is I feel the album was not honest. That’s my interpretation. I wasn’t in their heads or personal lives so of course I could be absolutely wrong. I’m not at all saying rich and successful people aren’t prone to depression. 

• Like 1

That fake ass mainstream emo stuff wasn't even a thing until like 2006. If blink wanted to be "relevant" because of the mainstream emo crap then they would've had to hire some psychic to tell them how the direction of rock music was going to go because it all started blowing up around MCR's Black Parade album. On a serious note, blink were already relevant anyway. It wasn't like they were have beens. They were at the peak of their careers.

Another Enema/TOPAJ styled album would've made them even more bigger. Instead they wanted to take risks and to experiment. What kinda album that tries to be relevant has tracks like All of This? Or Violence? Or The Fallen Interlude? Or Down? Or I'm Lost Without You? They were apparently shocked that I Miss You became a hit.

Like Kay said, blink were already growing as musicians. Tom has made it clear so many times that he wanted to be writing about more serious subject matters hence the formation of BCR as he felt he couldn't write that kind of music in blink at the time, which in turn also changed the way Mark wrote music. BCR made Mark feel like he had something to prove. He even said in an interview that he felt weird about BCR and that they could've wrote a darker blink album instead of having Tom create a side project.

Even during the hiatus, the three of them continued with that exact same sound and progressed with AVA and +44 (which sounded completely different to all that mainstream emo stuff anyway). Hell, even Neighborhoods continued the sound with some progression and +44/AVA elements. The smiley face album is their most genuine album alongside Dude Ranch. It even has a reading of a letter that Mark's own grandfather wrote to his grandmother. It couldn't get anymore personal than that. Blink could've played it safe and wrote Enema Part 3, but they instead took a risk and became a better band for it.

If blink have ever tried to be relevant with an album, that album is California.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kay said:

Because Tom had a fringe and there's no dog fucking songs, apparently 

Funny thing is, Tom even had that during the Enema days too. Man Overboard's music video came out in 2000 and Tom had that haircut. I'd love to know who the hell his psychic is if blink were trying to get on this emo train.

• Haha 1
  • Crab 1

8 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Funny thing is, Tom even had that during the Enema days too. Man Overboard's music video came out in 2000 and Tom had that haircut. I'd love to know who the hell his psychic is if blink were trying to get on this emo train.

No, you’re absolutely wrong about the haircut. Man Overboard hair was not the Emo to the side look. Not even close. Nice try! Discredits everything else you’re tryinG to say now! Anyways I already said I could absolutely be wrong , I can have my opinion too. Fuck Untitled 

26 minutes ago, Scott. said:

I’m sorry but how is Untitled in any way emo? 

Hmmm let’s see the darker tones and dark whiny and depressing lyrics. Definitely Emo in my eyes and I’m not the only one. That’s fine that it’s a celebrated album here, I’m on the older side of blink fans and I don’t like it . Who cares, I already said it’s my opinion and my diagnosis could be wrong 

5 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Hmmm let’s see the darker tones and dark whiny and depressing lyrics. Definitely Emo in my eyes and I’m not the only one. That’s fine that it’s a celebrated album here, I’m on the older side of blink fans and I don’t like it . Who cares, I already said it’s my opinion and my diagnosis could be wrong 

You can say you can't stand it but it's definitely genuine. Like I said, it has a reading of a letter from Mark's own grandfather to his grandmother. It couldn't get anymore personal and genuine than that.

And that haircut just looks the same to me. Only difference is it looked thicker during the untitled era. Definitely doesn't discredit anything at all. If anything, Tom probably influenced all those whiney emos you're talking about but I do see what you're trying to say. I would've agreed with you if the album came out in 2006 haha.

• Like 1

Just now, Nosferatu said:

You can say you can't stand it but it's definitely genuine. Like I said, it has a reading of a letter from Mark's own grandfather to his grandmother. It couldn't get anymore personal and genuine than that.

And that haircut just looks the same to me. Only difference is it looked thicker during the untitled era. Definitely doesn't discredit anything at all. If anything, Tom probably influenced all those whiney emos you're talking about but I do see what you're trying to say. I would've agreed with you if the album came out in 2006 haha.

I was just kidding about that haircut thing discrediting you. And I guess you’re right about the timing of the album and when the Emo wave came, so I guess my memory is off there and I stand corrected. I guess I’m just not a huge fan of the album and I’m reading too much into it 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I was just kidding about that haircut thing discrediting you. And I guess you’re right about the timing of the album and when the Emo wave came, so I guess my memory is off there and I stand corrected. I guess I’m just not a huge fan of the album and I’m reading too much into it 

I've got the same opinion of California. Everything about that California era just just screams false to me, so I get it haha

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thongrider said:

Didn't the Used get huge in 2002?

They definitely developed a cult following, but wouldn't call them huge. I didn't even know who they were until way past the 2010s but I barely knew anything outside of blink and some skate punk bands back then. But bands like 30 Seconds to Mars, MCR, Fall Out Boy and Panic, you couldn't escape them. They were all just as huge as blink were in 1999 and 2000. I've never really considered the Used on that level.

And although Green Day were never part of that cringe emo phase, their music from American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown was definitely a huge thing for those kinda people too.