Are Some Blink 182 Lyrics Misogynistic?

Tombomb

3 hours ago, Ghent said:

Untitled...a blessing and a curse. Great album, but god did it bring in lame miserable fans into the fold because of the whole emo thing. They linger to this day

Most of the miserable fans are old, old fans so I'm not sure where this logic comes from. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno if blink is misogynistic or not, and frankly I don't care all that much, they were pretty much kids in the early 90s when they started, of course their views earlier on might have been a bit more in the wheelhouse of boys objectifying women and wanting sex.  These days, their music when talking about women and the like are more about love and relationships, and all that.  In a lot of ways, they're like a modern Beatles with the messages in their music (overall).

However, being 2020, I do wonder if/when anyone is going to try and 'cancel' blink over some of their most offensive joke songs.  2 songs in particular could be considered like legit problematic: Fuck a Dog and 13 Miles.  Sure songs like When you Fucked Grandpa are pretty terrible in their messages, but even if the message is about incest, it is also about adults, so whatever, it's dumb and gross, but not something that really can be considered a genuine issue.  But songs about fucking an animal and a child are the kind of issues that are getting people cancelled left and right today, even when such things are clearly being done in jest.  Keep in mind, I don't think you can really cancel a band/musician as big as blink, the discography will always be enjoyable, and the fanbase is so large, that I can't fathom them ever dropping out of the zeitgeist.  But I do think that considering what people have gone after others over, that blink could absolutely be a target for the right people if they became aware of those songs.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, M!ke said:

I dunno if blink is misogynistic or not, and frankly I don't care all that much, they were pretty much kids in the early 90s when they started, of course their views earlier on might have been a bit more in the wheelhouse of boys objectifying women and wanting sex.  These days, their music when talking about women and the like are more about love and relationships, and all that.  In a lot of ways, they're like a modern Beatles with the messages in their music (overall).

However, being 2020, I do wonder if/when anyone is going to try and 'cancel' blink over some of their most offensive joke songs.  2 songs in particular could be considered like legit problematic: Fuck a Dog and 13 Miles.  Sure songs like When you Fucked Grandpa are pretty terrible in their messages, but even if the message is about incest, it is also about adults, so whatever, it's dumb and gross, but not something that really can be considered a genuine issue.  But songs about fucking an animal and a child are the kind of issues that are getting people cancelled left and right today, even when such things are clearly being done in jest.  Keep in mind, I don't think you can really cancel a band/musician as big as blink, the discography will always be enjoyable, and the fanbase is so large, that I can't fathom them ever dropping out of the zeitgeist.  But I do think that considering what people have gone after others over, that blink could absolutely be a target for the right people if they became aware of those songs.

13 Miles is such an obscure track that I really doubt it, and Fuck A Dog is so blatantly obviously a stupid joke that I don't see why anyone would bother. Most of cancel culture takes intent in mind. usually struggles with context but there's no way someone hears Fuck A Dog and goes "Oh wow, Tom Delonge is secretly having sex with animals! he must be STOPPED!"

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Kay said:

13 Miles is such an obscure track that I really doubt it, and Fuck A Dog is so blatantly obviously a stupid joke that I don't see why anyone would bother. Most of cancel culture takes intent in mind. usually struggles with context but there's no way someone hears Fuck A Dog and goes "Oh wow, Tom Delonge is secretly having sex with animals! he must be STOPPED!"

I don't disagree with your assessment at all, but all it takes is one overly concerned Karen that happens across either or both songs to make a big deal about it and try and cancel the band.  I say try with a huge emphasis, because I agree that I don't think they could cancel blink over such clear jokes, but all the same they'll try if they find it.  Look at Dan Harmon, there is a second wave happening right now to try and cancel him again over the same dumb skit video where the joke was about fucking a baby; obviously he doesn't want to fuck a baby, but that doesn't matter to these morons, you can't joke about anything taboo anymore without these people getting up in arms anymore.  Like they tried to cancel him a year or so ago over the same video and Adult Swim pretty much shut it down, but now they're trying again.  It's so fucking dumb, and I'd like to believe that blink is above that, but I dunno, you get that one person that hears those songs and they'll try their heart out to stop them from having their career.

28 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Look at Dan Harmon, there is a second wave happening right now to try and cancel him again over the same dumb skit video where the joke was about fucking a baby.

that's so silly. there are much better reasons to "cancel" dan harmon. he created both community and rick and morty.

seriously though, dan's a different case. we're talking about a video of a simulated act with a baby doll. which is quite different from a joke song bonus track on a CD.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

that's so silly. there are much better reasons to "cancel" dan harmon. he created both community and rick and morty.

seriously though, dan's a different case. we're talking about a video of a simulated act with a baby doll. which is quite different from a joke song bonus track on a CD.

Wait... so you genuinely think he wants to fuck a baby or that he's encouraging others to fuck a baby?  Regardless of what you think of his shows (I love them, but comedy is subjective, to each their own), he's clearly no more serious about fucking a baby than blink are about fucking a dog or a child.

That's how the baby fuckers get away with it ... surely, no one would actually fuck a baby, you say! Surely, it's just a crude joke. Well, don't call me Shirley and don't dismiss baby fucking jokes so easily ... while you're shaking your head and dismissing it as uncouth they're out there fucking babies under the guise of comedy!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Speedo said:

That's how the baby fuckers get away with it ... surely, no one would actually fuck a baby, you say! Surely, it's just a crude joke. Well, don't call me Shirley and don't dismiss baby fucking jokes so easily ... while you're shaking your head and dismissing it as uncouth they're out there fucking babies under the guise of comedy!

lol, the perfect crime!

• Like 1

Community is the best sitcom of our generation. 

Couldn't give a fuck about Rick and Morty, but Community is brilliant. 

However, Dan Harmon has done a lot of dodgy shit, him being cancelled wouldn' shock me at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vic vinegar said:

Didn't Dan Harmon terroize and sexually harrass a female employee?

It's one of the only reasons i don't watch Rick and Morty though the first 3 episodes were brilliant.

Yup, one of the community writers. 

• Sad 2