New Song: "Quarantine"

4 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

Because they did in fact keep repeating themselves. That's why Untitled was so necessary for blink, if we kept getting TOYPAJ hits we probably would be more tired of them as well, as great as those were.

Like Conspiracy One on I hear the same exact song.

Conspiracy really isn't that samey, Living In Chaos is one of my favourite songs of all time. 

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

quick google search, but thanks for your concern

"lockdown too short to last long"

"i fell in love with the girl in the zoom call. pinned her vid in the grid and she doesn't know. everything's better in her trivia round. she's on mute but i still check her out. i fell in love with t

9 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

Because they did in fact keep repeating themselves. That's why Untitled was so necessary for blink, if we kept getting TOYPAJ hits we probably would be more tired of them as well, as great as those were.

Like Conspiracy One on I hear the same exact song.

I hear a lot of grunge crap.

loveeeeee the offspring. agree that they never seemed to evolve in ways others did for survival. want you bad is one of my all-time fav pop punk songs. and on the note of you're gonna go far, they played that song a TON on my local active rock station when it came out

• Like 3

I feel like my perspective of Offspring is comparable to how most the world views blink. Cool old song I know "Self Esteem" (Dammit equivalent), got big in 98/99 with "Pretty Fly" (WMAA), and "Get a Job" (ATST) and some music videos, haven't cared nor heard much about them since. If they're still making music, cool...couldn't begin to care about songwriting credits/producers, wouldn't know if they got a new member. The thought of hanging out on an Offspring forum would be extremely weird, rofl @ hardcores arguing over eras, and who gives a shit if their new album sucks... BUT, would totally join a friend to go to their concert to drink some beer and have a good time!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

I feel like my perspective of Offspring is comparable to how most the world views blink. Cool old song I know "Self Esteem" (Dammit equivalent), got big in 98/99 with "Pretty Fly" (WMAA), and "Get a Job" (ATST) and some music videos, haven't cared nor heard much about them since. If they're still making music, cool...couldn't begin to care about songwriting credits/producers, wouldn't know if they got a new member. The thought of hanging out on an Offspring forum would be extremely weird, rofl @ hardcores arguing over eras, and who gives a shit if their new album sucks... BUT, would totally join a friend to go to their concert to drink some beer and have a good time!

Yeah, that's how I kinda feel about them although I do feel like ever since they changed drummers from their well known line up, the band hasn't been the same. I'm not sure how much of an influence their drummer had on their sound though. It's weird that Atom of AVA & Against Me was in their band. i remember liking the song he was the drummer for.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kay said:

Conspiracy really isn't that samey, Living In Chaos is one of my favourite songs of all time. 

I don't feel like it's samey but I feel like they've been trying to replicate Americana ever since that album's release. All of the albums since have had that upbeat/joke kinda single similar to Pretty Fly. Original Prankster, Hit That, Stuff Is Messed Up & Cruising California are those kinda songs, not so much in sound though.

It's the same with the Kids Aren't Alright. They've basically have had that rock/punk rock kinda single for each of those albums as well. It worked for Americana and it was still kinda fresh for Conspiracy of One but any time after that, they just never progressed.

I feel the same way regarding Green Day. They tried remaking American Idiot with 21st Century Breakdown and it was still kinda fresh back in 2009. Then they just kept repeating themselves over and over for their trilogy albums. They still never progressed with Revolution Radio. I'll admit that their new album is completely different to anything they've ever done though, but it's hard for me to listen to that. I swear that album is shit for the sake of being shit haha.

Outside of their new album though, they've been repetitive for about 15 years and the Offspring have been repetitive for over 20 years now. It's why I prefer bands like blink, AFI and Sum 41 as they just keep sounding different nearly every album. Although Sum 41 have been stuck on their sound for two albums straight. The last album I enjoyed by them was Screaming Bloody Murder.

49 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Lol Self Esteem was much bigger than Dammit ever was. Probably bigger than any blink single ever was for that matter. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I don't feel like it's samey but I feel like they've been trying to replicate Americana ever since that album's release. All of the albums since have had that upbeat/joke kinda single similar to Pretty Fly. Original Prankster, Hit That, Stuff Is Messed Up & Cruising California are those kinda songs, not so much in sound though.

It's the same with the Kids Aren't Alright. They've basically have had that rock/punk rock kinda single for each of those albums as well. It worked for Americana and it was still kinda fresh for Conspiracy of One but any time after that, they just never progressed.

I feel the same way regarding Green Day. They tried remaking American Idiot with 21st Century Breakdown and it was still kinda fresh back in 2009. Then they just kept repeating themselves over and over for their trilogy albums. They still never progressed with Revolution Radio. I'll admit that their new album is completely different to anything they've ever done though, but it's hard for me to listen to that. I swear that album is shit for the sake of being shit haha.

Outside of their new album though, they've been repetitive for about 15 years and the Offspring have been repetitive for over 20 years now. It's why I prefer bands like blink, AFI and Sum 41 as they just keep sounding different nearly every album. Although Sum 41 have been stuck on their sound for two albums straight. The last album I enjoyed by them was Screaming Bloody Murder.

You can't top Kerplunk. If progress was a goal. Green Day were already screwed in 91.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

Totally. I remember when Smash came out. Everyone knew Self Esteem.

Smash and Dookie were huge, both released the same year, and put punk in the mainstream.

...and out come the wolves hit at the same time and Rancid blew up. Obviously not Green Day or Offspring levels but big enough for an SNL performance. I think Punk In Drublic was around that time as well.

• Like 1

It's weird to think The Offspring, Green Day, Blink, Sum 41 and to a smaller extent bands like Rancid, NOFX, Yellowcard, etc were all fairly mainstream.  Not like top 100 pop hits but relevant enough for everyone dabbling in punk rock to know (which also was fairly mainstream).  Nowadays you really can consider that a dead era and a completely different outlook.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Jan's Plan said:

It's weird to think The Offspring, Green Day, Blink, Sum 41 and to a smaller extent bands like Rancid, NOFX, Yellowcard, etc were all fairly mainstream.  Not like top 100 pop hits but relevant enough for everyone dabbling in punk rock to know (which also was fairly mainstream).  Nowadays you really can consider that a dead era and a completely different outlook.

In Sweden I think most of those bands had top 30 hits. Maybe not Yellowcard.

2 hours ago, thongrider said:

You can't top Kerplunk. If progress was a goal. Green Day were already screwed in 91.

Yeah, that is true. They pretty much sounded the same for their first four albums. I think because punk rock of the 90's didn't explode until 94, it was always gonna be a fresh sound for the mainstream audience. A lot of bands do sound similar for their first few albums before they progress a bit more too.

2 hours ago, blinkstillrules said:

Totally. I remember when Smash came out. Everyone knew Self Esteem.

Smash and Dookie were huge, both released the same year, and put punk in the mainstream.

yup. 1994 was all about dookie and smash and stranger than fiction. smash is still the top selling independent album of all time. like close to twelve million copies. ixnay only sold about three. though to be fair, americana clocks in a number with like ten million sold, but it had columbia on it.

the offspring are a pretty tight punk outfit if you exclude nearly every one of their singles after smash. the band proves the truism that "the worst songs are the singles." most of them are like, embarrassingly bad. just god awful.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Nosferatu said:

They pretty much sounded the same for their first four albums.

this is a broken record for me on these boards, but i don't understand how that is a criticism. i listen to a diversity of bands. i don't want the bands themselves to vary much at all.

• Like 3
Just now, daveyjones said:

yup. 1994 was all about dookie and smash and stranger than fiction. smash is still the top selling independent album of all time. like close to twelve million copies. ixnay only sold about three. though to be fair, americana clocks in a number with like ten million sold, but it had columbia on it.

the offspring are a pretty tight punk outfit if you exclude nearly every one of their singles after smash. the band proves the truism that "the worst songs are the singles." most of them are like, embarrassingly bad. just god awful.

I've always loved that the Offspring kinda know that their hit singles are meant to be like that. Still, I'd take Cruising California any day over Katy Perry or whatever chart music was in 2012 haha.

• Like 2