2020 "New EP News" Thread

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BTD sounds absolutely nothing like TOYPAJ or Enema. 

Spinning up a new thread to keep track of all the news leading up to the next blink release. Mark has stated NINE DLX is not happening, and that they are currently working on new music for an EP. I wi

That dude is in Blink?

Ya never know, for reference, Dogs Eating Dogs released on December 18th 2012, and was recorded in November of that year.  They certainly could get the EP done before the end of this year as they've done in the past, though that would likely mean no physical release for the year too I would imagine.  Will they though?  I'm pretty doubtful, you'd think we would have heard something by now about finishing the thing up.

10 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Ya never know, for reference, Dogs Eating Dogs released on December 18th 2012, and was recorded in November of that year.  They certainly could get the EP done before the end of this year as they've done in the past, though that would likely mean no physical release for the year too I would imagine.  Will they though?  I'm pretty doubtful, you'd think we would have heard something by now about finishing the thing up.

That was self released though. Once labels get involved it’s a bit more tricky to just release something quickly.

Mark said this on his discord on the 4th of October. don't think it got mentioned here but i cbf checking back.

"The EP is now being discussed as “late this year/early 2021” maybe it just becomes an album."

I definitely don't think we will see it this year now and i'd wager it's gonna turn into an album. Hopefully they drop quarantine or leave it as a bonus track if it does become an album. It'll be too old by then for an album release for me.

23 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Mark said this on his discord on the 4th of October. don't think it got mentioned here but i cbf checking back.

"The EP is now being discussed as “late this year/early 2021” maybe it just becomes an album."

I definitely don't think we will see it this year now and i'd wager it's gonna turn into an album. Hopefully they drop quarantine or leave it as a bonus track if it does become an album. It'll be too old by then for an album release for me.

You my friend do not live in America.  I understand that over in Australia, it's all but gone, but Quarantine may be a relevant song for us in America for a very long time at this point, we just had the highest recorded amount of new cases in a single country on a single day yesterday I believe.  

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, M!ke said:

You my friend do not live in America.  I understand that over in Australia, it's all but gone, but Quarantine may be a relevant song for us in America for a very long time at this point, we just had the highest recorded amount of new cases in a single country on a single day yesterday I believe.  

Relevancy has nothing to do with what i was saying. I was talking about length of the time the song has been out for not whether it is relevant or not. I’d want an album of new songs to be excited about hearing and not have a spot in the track listing be taken up by a 6-9 month old song.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, M!ke said:

Quarantine is not the anthem for quarantine.

3 hours ago, Speedo said:

Quarantine is not the anthem for quarantine.

lol, I didn't say it was, I was just saying it would still be a relevant song about the state America is in (if not other places in the world as well) by the time the album releases.  So I wouldn't say the track will be too old by that point at all.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, M!ke said:

lol, I didn't say it was, I was just saying it would still be a relevant song about the state America is in (if not other places in the world as well) by the time the album releases.  So I wouldn't say the track will be too old by that point at all.

I Won't Be Home for Christmas is still relevant, doesn't mean they should put it on an album.

Just now, Speedo said:

I Won't Be Home for Christmas is still relevant, doesn't mean they should put it on an album.

If they released a new Christmas album, I wouldn't fault them for including I Wont Be Home For Christmas and Not Another Christmas song since they never appeared on a full length album, I'd love if they had a proper home like that with a bunch of other new blink Christmas songs.

1 minute ago, M!ke said:

If they released a new Christmas album, I wouldn't fault them for including I Wont Be Home For Christmas and Not Another Christmas song since they never appeared on a full length album, I'd love if they had a proper home like that with a bunch of other new blink Christmas songs.

The point is that it wouldn't make sense to do so, it works fine as a one off.

• Like 1

In fact, Relient K released a full length Christmas album which included a bunch of old Christmas songs they had recorded for an old EP along with a few new Christmas songs.  Certainly not an unheard of thing in the music industry at all.

15 minutes ago, M!ke said:

In fact, Relient K released a full length Christmas album which included a bunch of old Christmas songs they had recorded for an old EP along with a few new Christmas songs.  Certainly not an unheard of thing in the music industry at all.

If they call the new album “quarantine” or “lockdown” or made the whole theme about COVID then sure maybe you have a point. Do you think they will do that?

Just now, Russel Coight said:

If they call the new album “quarantine” or “lockdown” or made the whole theme about COVID then sure maybe you have a point. Do you think they will do that?

I just think that including a single released only a year ago on a new EP or LP is by no means out of the question, especially since the content is still relevant, but also because that kinda shit happens all the time with musicians.  The album doesn't need a theme for that fact to hold true.

4 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I just think that including a single released only a year ago on a new EP or LP is by no means out of the question, especially since the content is still relevant, but also because that kinda shit happens all the time with musicians.  The album doesn't need a theme for that fact to hold true.

I never said it wasn’t out of the question. Just that it’s an old song regardless of whether it’s still relevant or not and that I hope it’s not on the album unless it’s a bonus track.

10 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I never said it wasn’t out of the question. Just that it’s an old song regardless of whether it’s still relevant or not and that I hope it’s not on the album unless it’s a bonus track.

Eh, but it can still be for the best to release it on a proper album anyway, especially if it helps with the flow of the release.  Jason Mraz released I'm Yours in 2005 on an EP, it went relatively unnoticed, but then was included on a full length album in 2008 and became a huge hit (in fact his biggest hit to date).

21 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Eh, but it can still be for the best to release it on a proper album anyway, especially if it helps with the flow of the release.  Jason Mraz released I'm Yours in 2005 on an EP, it went relatively unnoticed, but then was included on a full length album in 2008 and became a huge hit (in fact his biggest hit to date).

Okay. All that still doesn’t change that it’s an old song that I would prefer not be on the album. I’d prefer an album of new things we haven’t heard before.

5 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Okay. All that still doesn’t change that it’s an old song that I would prefer not be on the album. I’d prefer an album of new things we haven’t heard before.

Hey, I respect that you would prefer it not be on the album, but I'm arguing that there could be good reason for it to be on the album, and if there is, then I want it there.  Like imagine if Violence wasn't included on Untitled because they decided to release it as a single a year before Untitled, and they don't add another song in it's place (maybe Not Now is on all versions of the album now, whatever), so now the album goes from I Miss You to Stockholm Syndrome.  Sure, they might find a way to mix it that works, but it would be such a shame to not put Violence in there to really get that great flow that the whole album has tied together.  I can't imagine that part of the album being nearly as satisfying going from I Miss You to Stockholm Syndrome.  

Of course, I don't know what the flow of this album is like, but if it can fit in so perfectly somewhere like Violence does between I Miss You and Stockholm Syndrome, then I absolutely want it on the album to make the flow of the entire release all the more satisfying.