New generation of pop punk

Champ182

2 minutes ago, Depf said:

we good, but plz recognize there are those of us whose grandma make great fried potatoes and our grandfathers looked ace in hugo boss. the struggle is real.

STOP DIVERTING! MGK better than skiba?!  come on dudes. 

Whoa whoa whoa. Nobody better be trying to say MGK is better than Skiba. Yes it’s true that Skiba is the guitarist of choice for this iteration of blink, but he doesn’t really write any of it. Almost everything Skiba wrote with AK3 is genius. This isn’t about MGK vs. Skiba. This is MGK’s pop punk vs. blinks current pop punk. Don’t step out of line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slipperypoofromsombrero said:

Both of his songs are super derivative, and when bloody valentine comes on all I hear is Brand New. 

Okay, of all the comments to make, this one makes the least sense. Wtf? 

2 minutes ago, Kay said:

Okay, of all the comments to make, this one makes the least sense. Wtf? 

The guitar on bloody valentine sounds a lot like “Logan To Government Center”. I say derivative because the guitar sounds like everything a young pop punk fan in 2001 played once they learned power chords and tried to write a song. Which isn’t necessarily bad, but if we’re making arguments for whether MGK is better than what blink is right now, I think it’s important to consider. 

3 minutes ago, Slipperypoofromsombrero said:

The guitar on bloody valentine sounds a lot like “Logan To Government Center”. I say derivative because the guitar sounds like everything a young pop punk fan in 2001 played once they learned power chords and tried to write a song. Which isn’t necessarily bad, but if we’re making arguments for whether MGK is better than what blink is right now, I think it’s important to consider. 

It's a typical 3 power chord chug, comparing it to early BN is a heck of a weird stretch lol, I get what you're saying though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slipperypoofromsombrero said:

I think they’re both missing the same key thing: dynamic. It’s all so flat. So if it has to be that one is better than the other, I give the nod to the veterans who’s body of work I enjoy. I hate MGK, but that’s only cause I live in Eminem’s backyard. If he sparks a new want for pop punk, fuck yeah. Just don’t think he’s quite as good as blink featuring the hired guns. Both of his songs are super derivative, and when bloody valentine comes on all I hear is Brand New. So consider this a letter that ain’t M G or K. Everyone that’s on this MGK pop punk dick should just find an album by a band they really used to love in high school that you didn’t ever listen to for whatever reason and pretend it’s new. 

I don't really hear Brand New.  I think it sounds like it's own thing with all the pop punk influences in there, which is why it's kinda interesting.

Paramore ft. The Used and a touch of blink is really the influences I draw.

Just now, Jan's Plan said:

I wouldn't say MGK is better than Skiba, but when you factor in how good Skiba was in the past in Alk3 and how bad he is with Blink...it won't be as far off as you'd think...

I’m so sick of hearing people say stuff like this. He’s only with the band so they have a guitarist on stage and so they can remain a “three-piece”. They even play guitar tracks through the PA and turn Matt’s guitar down.  He has very little control in blink, if any at all. Think of him as the George Harrison of blink. AK3’s last album, which was made and released after Matt joined blink, is the best album they’ve made in a very long time. Begging the question “is it really Matt’s fault?” I personally think it isn’t. I think blink would sound exactly the same regardless of who they recruited to hold the guitar on stage. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slipperypoofromsombrero said:

I’m so sick of hearing people say stuff like this. He’s only with the band so they have a guitarist on stage and so they can remain a “three-piece”. They even play guitar tracks through the PA and turn Matt’s guitar down.  He has very little control in blink, if any at all. Think of him as the George Harrison of blink. AK3’s last album, which was made and released after Matt joined blink, is the best album they’ve made in a very long time. Begging the question “is it really Matt’s fault?” I personally think it isn’t. I think blink would sound exactly the same regardless of who they recruited to hold the guitar on stage. 

I didn't say it was his fault, except for the not great at guitar parts, having no energy on stage, and lashing out at fans #justiceformike.  Besides that, he doesn't have much say in blink is pretty clear.

• Like 1

I didn't say it was his fault, except for the not great at guitar parts and having no energy on stage.  Besides that, he doesn't have much say in blink is pretty clear.

Well he’s never been much of a stage presence. I’ve seen AK3 about 49 times since 2000, and he’s always just stood there. He’s actually a lot more active with blink than he ever has been with AK3, even if that isn’t saying much. The real problem is that we all want Tom and we won’t be happy until we get him. 

• Like 1

MGK's new songs are just boring for me. My Bloody Valentine is just ok. That one he did with black bear or whatever is an interesting song but it's not the kinda song I'd listen to. That Concert for Aliens song is just utter trash. Nearly every blink song since Feldman has been the producer are better than all 3 MGK's new tracks IMO.

• Like 2

Just now, Nosferatu said:

MGK's new songs are just boring for me. My Bloody Valentine is just ok. That one he did with black bear or whatever is an interesting song but it's not the kinda song I'd listen to. That Concert for Aliens song is just utter trash. Nearly every blink song since Feldman has been the producer are better than all 3 MGK's new tracks IMO.

That’s what I’m saying. Boring. Not bumping that in the car or pogo-ing in a crowd. I called it flat, but maybe boring is the better way to say it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slipperypoofromsombrero said:

Definitely agree with that. 

How? Gets paid a million dollars to learn some blink 182 songs and pretend to like it and he can't even do that.  can't really defend him for that.  The albums they're releasing? Sure, not really anything he has control over or likely any input

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slipperypoofromsombrero said:

That’s what I’m saying. Boring. Not bumping that in the car or pogo-ing in a crowd. I called it flat, but maybe boring is the better way to say it. 

I definitely do think he has potential though. His voice works for pop punk. At least it's not that kinda pop punk voice that some bands have been doing since 2005 and onwards. The songs are just weak asf to me though. I would appreciate I Think I'm OK a lot more if it wasn't for the Young Blood dude. He's just like a shit stain on the wall and ruins every song he features in.

• Haha 1

How? Gets paid a million dollars to learn some blink 182 songs and pretend to like it and he can't even do that.  can't really defend him for that.  The albums they're releasing? Sure, not really anything he has control over or likely any input

Blink is notorious for not rehearsing/practicing at all. I think he does a great job of pretending to like it. I think a lot of the poor sound (which I hear from YouTube viewers and not so much from people at the shows) is due to the fact that he’s turned down so much and trying to play along with a backing track. A backing track doesn’t go slightly out of tune as the song goes, and god forbid you make a split second mistake with a backing track playing. That’s what makes it sound so bad. When I saw them, I thought he sounded pretty good both times, but there were definitely muddy areas. We probably wouldn’t even notice little mistakes if there wasn’t a perfect backing track through the PA the whole time. Put most bands live performances layered on top of their recording and they’ll sound like shit. He still sounds good with Trio, so again the blame has to go back to whoever is in charge.