New generation of pop punk

Champ182

1 minute ago, Scott. said:

Doubt it’s your thing. You like the original pop punk before blink, sum 41 etc

I don't hate it, I get the appeal ... it's anthemic. You're right though, it's not my thing. I think a lot of the problem is that that particular style of pop punk is really busy. Listen to the intro, there's a lot going on, even with the chorus and that, I think, is what loses me. I always steered more toward the simple. Like I said though, it's not horrible.

• Like 3

On 10/3/2020 at 12:27 AM, kibbles said:

Travis and MGK did the album live, 

Fuck me, this is awesome.

I'm pumped for Travis that he gets to be a part of this. Debuted at #1.

A total genre resurgence. People who don't even know what pop punk is are listening to this and loving it. Kind of like we all stumbled on pop punk back in the day. We didn't seek it out, it came to us

• Like 5

That Neck Deep song just shows why I hate modern pop punk. The only older pop punk band that resembles that type of pop punk is NFG and I can't even get into them outside of about 3-4 songs from their first two albums. I'm glad MGK isn't doing that style of pop punk. He's definitely more listenable for me.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Scott. said:

Are we all in agreement that this is a pop punk masterpiece? That chorus is fucking GOLD. Heard this a million times and it doesn’t get old

Not my thing either to be honest but it is funny how almost every "If ____ Sounded Like Blink 182" video on youtube is actually doing this style of pop punk, rather than actually sounding like Blink haha

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Champ182 said:

Not my thing either to be honest but it is funny how almost every "If ____ Sounded Like Blink 182" video on youtube is actually doing this style of pop punk, rather than actually sounding like Blink haha

it's nice to see other people talk about this, because I've never super closely related blink to modern pop punk. i can hear the influence, but "modern pop punk" sounds a lot more like an evolution of NFG and they just associate it with blink instead

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Thought this wasn't an bad take on a modern pop punk blink-182 cover:

This is a good take on turning it into a genre that is much less enjoyable to me haha. But yeah, he did it well and it's a great example of how Blink and pop punk don't necessarily equal each other. I never really got into that later pop punk style.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1