New generation of pop punk

Champ182

Just watched the MGK live video, it sounds good. Way better than the crap blink-182 have been giving us live ever since 2009 (although I feel that's more to do with the live mixing for the videos cause even Travis Barker's drums sound like utter shit for blink). But man I wish bands would stop using click tracks.

There's no need for 3 guitars, 1 bass, 1 drum kit and 1 keyboard and backing tracks for this kind of music. Two guitarists (one of them being MGK), 1 bass guitarist and 1 drummer is more than enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nosferatu said:

Just watched the MGK live video, it sounds good. Way better than the crap blink-182 have been giving us live ever since 2009 (although I feel that's more to do with the live mixing for the videos cause even Travis Barker's drums sound like utter shit for blink). But man I wish bands would stop using click tracks.

There's no need for 3 guitars, 1 bass, 1 drum kit and 1 keyboard and backing tracks for this kind of music. Two guitarists (one of them being MGK), 1 bass guitarist and 1 drummer is more than enough.

There's such a push for things to be exactly as perfect as records, robbing live performances of what make them unique. Did you know they can live pitch correct vocal performances now? They can fix your bum notes on the fucking go. It's insane. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Kay said:

There's such a push for things to be exactly as perfect as records, robbing live performances of what make them unique. Did you know they can live pitch correct vocal performances now? They can fix your bum notes on the fucking go. It's insane. 

Yeah, I don't like it when it's like that. Don't get me wrong, it can sound amazing. Blink sounded so fucking good at that Teen Choice 2004 award thing when they played Down. But all the backing tracks were so low in the mix and it still felt like it was a live performance.

I can get by with that pitch correction thing but it's when the whole performance is so processed that it puts me off listening. And the backing tracks just need to stay low. The second verse of the song Nothing Inside by MGK was almost as bad and comical as hearing Tom's vocal track for I'm Lost Without You when blink did the 10 year anniversary tour for that album.

On 10/5/2020 at 9:58 AM, Speedo said:

I don't hate it, I get the appeal ... it's anthemic. You're right though, it's not my thing. I think a lot of the problem is that that particular style of pop punk is really busy. Listen to the intro, there's a lot going on, even with the chorus and that, I think, is what loses me. I always steered more toward the simple. Like I said though, it's not horrible.

How much did you listen to..?  I'm inclined to think you only listened to the intro track, which is one of the busier tracks by far.  The rest of the album is pretty diverse from it.

59 minutes ago, Gaslit Jan said:

How much did you listen to..?  I'm inclined to think you only listened to the intro track, which is one of the busier tracks by far.  The rest of the album is pretty diverse from it.

I was talking about the Neck Deep video Scott posted.

3 hours ago, Kay said:

my band in high school used to play with live autotune and that was 10-11 years ago! though to be fair sounding electronic/robotic was part of what we were going for. it just so happened to luckily double as a way to disguise my shit singing ability 😂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...