New generation of pop punk

Champ182

26 minutes ago, Kay said:

There's been a lot of pop punk over the years, the mainstream just isn't interested in it. 

And it also isn't the same type of super glossy 'pink and black Hot Topic shirt" aesthetic that encompassed trendy pop-punk when a lot of us were growing up in the mid 2000s. Some people only equate pop-punk with that vibe, and that's what MGK has tapped back into as a career move. But it doesn't mean there isn't pop-punk-influenced music out there, or that you have to lean into mid-2000s nostalgia to be pop-punk. Hopefully this thread proves that sometimes.

For example here's one to check out that's more in the alt/indie world but clearly has some pop-punk vibes too:

(Not trying to shit on MGK with this post, I'm not a fan but to each their own)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

And it also isn't the same type of super glossy 'pink and black Hot Topic shirt" aesthetic that encompassed trendy pop-punk when a lot of us were growing up in the mid 2000s. Some people only equate pop-punk with that vibe, and that's what MGK has tapped back into as a career move. But it doesn't mean there isn't pop-punk-influenced music out there, or that you have to lean into mid-2000s nostalgia to be pop-punk. Hopefully this thread proves that sometimes.

For example here's one to check out that's more in the alt/indie world but clearly has some pop-punk vibes too:

(Not trying to shit on MGK with this post, I'm not a fan but to each their own)

along these lines, I really like this Tigers Jaw song that came out last week: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Yeah, because it's been embarrassingly bad

Really hasn't been, not really sure why you're sticking to this idea. Theres been fucking loads of good stuff. Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kay said:

Really hasn't been, not really sure why you're sticking to this idea. Theres been fucking loads of good stuff. Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

The guy gets erect for the new SW trilogy and California, what do you expect?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Lmao it's not going strong anymore, in the 2010s it was basically dead. There's just a million indie alt bands now zzzzzz. I don't know why this fringe genre is still around, it got boring like 10 years ago.

You know you're wrong when the resident pedophile takes your side.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Backpfeifengesicht said:

You know you're wrong when the resident pedophile takes your side.

Yes that's you and you're wrong again! Hopefully the 2020s has more variety than boring indie bands that all sound the same. It would take a lifetime to listen to all the bad/boring albums released in the last 10 years

9 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Yes that's you and you're wrong again! Hopefully the 2020s has more variety than boring indie bands that all sound the same. It would take a lifetime to listen to all the bad/boring albums released in the last 10 years

I thought old people were supposed to be wise ... you're like the deficient that lived ...

3 hours ago, Backpfeifengesicht said:

The guy gets erect for the new SW trilogy and California, what do you expect?

California and Tickets to My Downfall...possibly the only two pop punk albums worth a damn in the last decade?

4 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

I believe a lot of his lyrics...he’s young, irresponsible, and reckless. Why would substance abuse and anxiety be disbelievable? 

Those subjects do tend to be trendy when trying to portray yourself as an outsider. Its been that way for decades all across mediums.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Backpfeifengesicht said:

Those subjects do tend to be trendy when trying to portray yourself as an outsider. Its been that way for decades all across mediums.

Definitely, but he clearly lives that lifestyle. I watched the making of Bloody Valentine on YouTube and he’s smoking blunts in the studio nonstop. There’s nothing about his persona and lyrics that would seem disbelievable IMO.

24 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

Definitely, but he clearly lives that lifestyle. I watched the making of Bloody Valentine on YouTube and he’s smoking blunts in the studio nonstop. There’s nothing about his persona and lyrics that would seem disbelievable IMO.

Admittedly, I don't know the first thing about the guy. I've only ever heard the Bloody Valentine song because it was on THPS1+2. It's a decent enough song, I was blown away by it our anything and I don't have any want to delve further into his work but I bob my head along nonetheless. That's okay too ... more power to the guy ... go out there, live the life you wanna live and get paid to do it. Good on him. I can't comment on his music or pop punk in the same vein ... its just not my style, it's not meant for me. I mean, I can comment ... and I will but I have no authority in the matter. People should like what they like and hate what they hate and stop worrying about 34 year old dad-bodded, failed-musicians. 

• Like 1

Isn’t blink his favorite band? Doesn’t seem like much of a stretch to want to make music in the genre of your favorite band, especially with one of the members of that band.

anyway yeah I actually agree MGK made one of the best pop punk albums of recent years. I haven’t liked much recent pop punk at all lately.

9 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Yep. Just give me some good music I enjoy. Doesn’t bother me if there’s extra hands in there helping make it.

I think I'm mostly picky because it's a genre I'm rooted in. Blink and Green Day were the only real pop punk acts of that genre I liked growing up and I defended them a lot from my "punk-as-fuck" friends ... who are now mostly into shitty folk bands. Back then blink and Green Day stood apart from the other shitty coattail bands that popped up. Pop punk then, and now, always had a different meaning to me that was more connected with the underground than MTV or radio. That's not an elitist pov, I don't mean it like that ... they just had that same, one of the gang energy to them. Now, though, both those bands lost that energy for me and I exclude them from my pop punk classification.