New generation of pop punk

Champ182

34 minutes ago, Backpfeifengesicht said:

I think I'm mostly picky because it's a genre I'm rooted in. Blink and Green Day were the only real pop punk acts of that genre I liked growing up and I defended them a lot from my "punk-as-fuck" friends ... who are now mostly into shitty folk bands. Back then blink and Green Day stood apart from the other shitty coattail bands that popped up. Pop punk then, and now, always had a different meaning to me that was more connected with the underground than MTV or radio. That's not an elitist pov, I don't mean it like that ... they just had that same, one of the gang energy to them. Now, though, both those bands lost that energy for me and I exclude them from my pop punk classification. 

Yeah that’s cool. I respect that. I just don’t care or worry about scenes or genres anymore. I just want music I enjoy.

• Like 1

There's been quite a few great pop punk/punk rock albums in the last decade IMO, but MGK ain't one of them. He had like 2 good songs on his. The rest were just boring for me.

I'm outspoken about my love for Nine. Thought that was a great album, so I consider that one as one of my favourites.

blink-182 - Nine
Creeper - Eternity, In Your Arms
Bad Religion - Dissent of Man
Hot Water Music - Light It Up
Wonder Years - No Closer to Heaven (my favourite of the last decade)
Trophy Eyes - American Dream

Three of those are older bands, one of them is just over 10 years old and another two were formed in the 2010's. It's a nice balance. Older bands are still going strong and releasing a great album from time to time and new bands are popping up with some killer records too.

Nothing, Nowhere. released a quality EP with Travis back in 2019 too, although he's like a blend of emo rap, hip hop and pop punk. Hopefully whenever his next album comes out, it's as good as that EP. I reckon this guy writes way better songs than MGK.

55 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

There's been quite a few great pop punk/punk rock albums in the last decade IMO, but MGK ain't one of them. He had like 2 good songs on his. The rest were just boring for me.

I'm outspoken about my love for Nine. Thought that was a great album, so I consider that one as one of my favourites.

blink-182 - Nine
Creeper - Eternity, In Your Arms
Bad Religion - Dissent of Man
Hot Water Music - Light It Up
Wonder Years - No Closer to Heaven (my favourite of the last decade)
Trophy Eyes - American Dream

Three of those are older bands, one of them is just over 10 years old and another two were formed in the 2010's. It's a nice balance. Older bands are still going strong and releasing a great album from time to time and new bands are popping up with some killer records too.

Nothing, Nowhere. released a quality EP with Travis back in 2019 too, although he's like a blend of emo rap, hip hop and pop punk. Hopefully whenever his next album comes out, it's as good as that EP. I reckon this guy writes way better songs than MGK.

Lyrically, you can't go wrong with most of the albums put out by the Menzingers and Spanish Love Songs in the last decade. On the Impossible Past, Rented World, After the Party, Brave Faces Everyone, and Schmaltz are all great punk/pop-punk albums. Those have been the bands that have filled the void that vintage Blink left for me. 

• Like 3

https://www.facebook.com/machinegunkellymusic/videos/729349857720441/

This is pretty fucking cool. Good way to listen to the album again with some teen drama in between.

Travis kid is in it. And Sydney Sweeney is absolutely stunning so worth a watch if you got the time.

• Like 3
  • Crab 1

6 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

This is pretty fucking cool. Good way to listen to the album again with some teen drama in between.

Travis kid is in it. And Sydney Sweeney is absolutely stunning so worth a watch if you got the time.

Watched about 5 minutes, but it's 4am and there's no way I can watch the whole thing right now, but I really like the idea of something like this. Would be cool to see more artists run with this idea. Def gonna come back to watch this during the day sometime haha

On 1/15/2021 at 5:31 PM, Tom Bot said:

Definitely, but he clearly lives that lifestyle. I watched the making of Bloody Valentine on YouTube and he’s smoking blunts in the studio nonstop. There’s nothing about his persona and lyrics that would seem disbelievable IMO.

Smoking blunts doesn’t make him edgy. Justin Bieber also smoked blunts, or at least did 

• Crab 1

On 1/16/2021 at 12:40 AM, Russel Coight said:

Cringe fest 

• Like 2

Damn the MGK "movie" was awesome. @Russel Coight you aren't kidding about Sydney Sweeney, I've been on her for awhile now lol. That Euphoria scene. 😍

But anyway- once again, MGK captures the spirit of the blink days in a modern way. It's awesome because it is nostalgic for me, but I know young people in the moment are eating it up too. There are high schoolers a couple houses from me who are always blasting this album. I think that's pretty cool.

Still can't believe I'm into this dude. Fucking album is so good

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Backpfeifengesicht said:

He's making money, who cares?

What do you mean? I don’t care. It’s just funny the couple people on here think that smoking weed makes him edgy or genuine somehow. One of those people being your favorite neighborhood pedo @Feeling_This_1...so you can imagine how much credence their theory holds 

1 hour ago, Diddy Faplord said:

What do you mean? I don’t care. It’s just funny the couple people on here think that smoking weed makes him edgy or genuine somehow. One of those people being your favorite neighborhood pedo @Feeling_This_1...so you can imagine how much credence their theory holds 

You just seem upset over it.

2 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

You make no sense. So we've proven all his lyrics are genuine, then you change it to think we were calling him edgy, which no one did 

Genuine? You didn’t prove anything, all someone did was say he was smoking blunts in some wack ass documentary lol. I guess by your standards, every rapper in the world who ever smoked weed and rapped about it can be assumed to be genuine with everything else they say and put on for the public, just because they said they smoked weed and actually smoked weed...you kids are so weird and thoughtless sometimes