New generation of pop punk

Champ182

7 minutes ago, Elisa said:

This album is nice but it's also a bunch of wanna be songs that try to be as good as Bloody Valentine but they don't quite achieve that. Title Track and Drunk Face are the other two good songs though. Other songs have some potential but they would probably stand out a little more if they didn't sound so similar. Having said that, Bloody Valentine is such a great song, it was also on my Spotify wrapped.

@Diddy Faplord at this point I would either check the album or just let people enjoy what they enjoy. Have you ever listened to The Last Thing You Forget by Title Fight? That album to me is like a 2009 modern version of Dude Ranch. That's how much I like it.

Well I appreciate you and maybe I’ll give those 3 songs a listen. I’ll admit if I was wrong. Also, never heard of Title Fight but I’ll look that up! I tried dropping all of this then I was told I am too old to play guitar in my free time. Still waiting for @Ghent to elaborate more on that one 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Lol I don’t watch tv, except for American football. Or Netflix with my gf. I just would rather be doing, than sitting and watching. Go ahead and make fun of me for that too lol

Ooooooooooooooooo Netflix, ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo girlfriend! bet you never get much further than the title credits with all the FUCKING you guys must do

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Ghent said:

The thing is though, multiple people have listed multiple different songs off the album that they consider to be good besides Bloody Valentine. To me that says it's a pretty damn solid album. Always a good sign when people have various favorites outside of the lead song/s.

Yeah, I don't hate it at all, a few days ago I also said that this album plays a very important role in music right now because young kids used to listen to just trap and hip hop before Tickets to My Downfall, while now are pretty open to check out more 'guitar music' because of MGK, and I am all for anything that creates new fans and gives more life to pop punk/punk rock.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elisa said:

Yeah, I don't hate it at all, a few days ago I also said that this album plays a very important role in music right now because young kids used to listen to just trap and hip hop before Tickets to My Downfall, while now are pretty open to check out more 'guitar music' because of MGK, and I am all for anything that creates new fans and gives more life to pop punk/punk rock.

That's what I'm most excited about. I'm hoping it signifies a shift back toward rock music, which has essentially been dead in the mainstream for a decade.

I think I mentioned before in this thread that I've heard high school kids blasting this album down the street from me, when all I've heard them listening to before was rap. Good sign

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I like the album but some of his KREW are super cringe.  yUnGbLoOd and bLaCk BeAr.  Song with Halsey is 12/10 though.

Also lol at the Cali haters being big fans of this album.  Talk about strange times.

I'm not a big fan of the album, I just enjoy a few songs.

10 minutes ago, Ghent said:

That's what I'm most excited about. I'm hoping it signifies a shift back toward rock music, which has essentially been dead in the mainstream for a decade.

I think I mentioned before in this thread that I've heard high school kids blasting this album down the street from me, when all I've heard them listening to before was rap. Good sign

It's absolutely a good sign because it's extremely difficult to turn high school kids into this kind of music nowadays. I'm very curious to see if this is just a trend or if it will lead to some kind of shift in mainstream music. 

1 minute ago, Elisa said:

It's absolutely a good sign because it's extremely difficult to turn high school kids into this kind of music nowadays. I'm very curious to see if this is just a trend or if it will lead to some kind of shift in mainstream music. 

🤞

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I like the album but some of his KREW are super cringe.  yUnGbLoOd and bLaCk BeAr.  Song with Halsey is 12/10 though.

Also lol at the Cali haters being big fans of this album.  Talk about strange times.

I haven't seen any Cali hater love this album so I'm confused by that statement. 

I may not care for the album but I'm glad it's doing well, I want rock in some shape or form back in the mainstream, it's good for the genre at large. 

10 minutes ago, Kay said:

I haven't seen any Cali hater love this album so I'm confused by that statement. 

I may not care for the album but I'm glad it's doing well, I want rock in some shape or form back in the mainstream, it's good for the genre at large. 

Maybe "love" is a sensationalist word but there are plenty in this thread defending the album who have shit on Cali ever since its release. 

California released by any other band would have been a non-issue, it'd have been much like this MGK album ... a few songs that were okay but I'll never listen to it or think of it again ... however, when put out by Mark, Matt and Travis with the potential, talent and musicianship/writing prowess they are capable of ... it's a shit album and they should be embarrassed to speak of it. Their ancestors are turbine spinning in their graves, fueled by the dishonor alone.

• Like 1

Thing is I wasn't expecting anything from MGK album, him turning out a few fun decent pop punk songs was a pleasant surprise and I enjoyed it for what it was.

I hold blink-182 to a different standard than I do a rapper who is making a pop punk album for a bit of fun funnily enough. 

If MGK released California I'd actually enjoy it a lot more I think, I'd take it for what it is but I know blink are capable of so much more so it was a disappointment when they released it.

Does that make sense to anyone?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Thing is I wasn't expecting anything from MGK album, him turning out a few fun decent pop punk songs was a pleasant surprise and I enjoyed it for what it was.

I hold blink-182 to a different standard than I do a rapper who is making a pop punk album for a bit of fun funnily enough. 

If MGK released California I'd actually enjoy it a lot more I think, I'd take it for what it is but I know blink are capable of so much more so it was a disappointment when they released it.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Made sense to me

14 minutes ago, Hail Satan said:

California released by any other band would have been a non-issue, it'd have been much like this MGK album ... a few songs that were okay but I'll never listen to it or think of it again ... however, when put out by Mark, Matt and Travis with the potential, talent and musicianship/writing prowess they are capable of ... it's a shit album and they should be embarrassed to speak of it. Their ancestors are turbine spinning in their graves, fueled by the dishonor alone.

• Like 1