New generation of pop punk

Champ182

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Yes, her music is mostly just pop, but she wasn't and she didn't change who she was to fit that image and strive for that level of success, and I respect that. The only time she changed it up was purely for her Japanese audience and we fucking hated that, but they adored it over there. 

I actually wondered about that. I never cared enough to look into it but I wondered if they would like that or be offended by it. That's kind of funny.

56 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

This is pretty fucking cool, this band are still pretty underrated - they were mega and still make pretty decent music, this is a great trip down memory lane. 

can't wait to watch this later. One good thing about covid is we're getting lots of high quality online sets to watch from artists. I wish blink would do one. I'm guessing they haven't because they know it will not sound good.

But this year is the 20th anniversary of TOYPAJ. It would be amazing to see them play that album in full.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

can't wait to watch this later. One good thing about covid is we're getting lots of high quality online sets to watch from artists. I wish blink would do one. I'm guessing they haven't because they know it will not sound good.

But this year is the 20th anniversary of TOYPAJ. It would be amazing to see them play that album in full.

I really enjoyed it. There is also this one to check out as well, I know some people dismiss this album after Say it Like You Mean It but I think this is probably their best work - Based On A True Story - full album set:

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I actually wondered about that. I never cared enough to look into it but I wondered if they would like that or be offended by it. That's kind of funny.

Yeah everyone over here was like "oh my gooood, cultural appropriation! So awful!" apparently over there they loved it, she has a huge following over there. 

21 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

The videos are awesome, they sound great. 

Def one of the best live pop punk bands going. 

They’re fucking great. One of the best pop punk bands ever imo. Like you said they’re criminally underrated. Over the moon with this. I’ll watch it tonight. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kay said:

I actually have a lot of time for Avril. 

She could've easily turned herself into a full on pop star, and she never did. Think about the likes of Gaga or Taylor Swift who changed their core music to become superstars - Avril was always basically a simple singer songwriter who liked punk and the culture and even when the music didn't remotely suit it, she still did. 

Yes, her music is mostly just pop, but she wasn't and she didn't change who she was to fit that image and strive for that level of success, and I respect that. The only time she changed it up was purely for her Japanese audience and we fucking hated that, but they adored it over there. 

Plus, like her music or not - she showed little girls everywhere that they can like shitty music and play guitar and piano if they want to. I taught loads of little girls guitar because of Avril and I am beyond ecstatic that she encouraged a bunch of girls to pick up the guitar. She's obviously not the only one, but she's def an important inspiration for a lot of female musicians (and if you weren't aware, that's a heck of a rarity). 

Also, cringe as some of it is, she actually has some alright songs. 

Avril started out singing country and only really got into pop punk when record execs suggested it. That's how the legend goes, anyway.

Obviously she's been fairly consistent throughout her career, so presumably she genuinely likes pop punk-ish stuff, but she was as manufactured as any pop star of the early '00s.

43 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Avril started out singing country and only really got into pop punk when record execs suggested it. That's how the legend goes, anyway.

Obviously she's been fairly consistent throughout her career, so presumably she genuinely likes pop punk-ish stuff, but she was as manufactured as any pop star of the early '00s.

Is there any evidence of that? Country has been has been a much more lucrative genre for a long time, i struggle it was purely manufactured. 

2 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

I really enjoyed it. There is also this one to check out as well, I know some people dismiss this album after Say it Like You Mean It but I think this is probably their best work - Based On A True Story - full album set:

This album was great too. Thanks for sharing these, I never would have known about them!

2 minutes ago, Kay said:

Is there any evidence of that? Country has been has been a much more lucrative genre for a long time, i struggle it was purely manufactured. 

There's plenty written about how she got her start doing country covers. Her wiki page says she gravitated towards pop punk on her own, which I think is probably somewhat apocryphal, but maybe not. And obviously she was super young when she first became successful, so it could very well be that her tastes changed without any industry pressure. But I also think it's reasonably likely that savvy record execs would have seen pop punk becoming more mainstream and also would have been well aware of the increasing popularity of solo female singers and thought that combination would have a lot of potential.

There were definitely interviews and articles in Canada around the time she got famous. They looked into her background a lot more. Some of the people interviewed might have been jealous and trying to tear her down. It's hard to say.

5 hours ago, Kay said:

I actually have a lot of time for Avril. 

She could've easily turned herself into a full on pop star, and she never did. Think about the likes of Gaga or Taylor Swift who changed their core music to become superstars - Avril was always basically a simple singer songwriter who liked punk and the culture and even when the music didn't remotely suit it, she still did. 

Plus, like her music or not - she showed little girls everywhere that they can like shitty music and play guitar and piano if they want to. I taught loads of little girls guitar because of Avril and I am beyond ecstatic that she encouraged a bunch of girls to pick up the guitar. She's obviously not the only one, but she's def an important inspiration for a lot of female musicians (and if you weren't aware, that's a heck of a rarity). 

Also, cringe as some of it is, she actually has some alright songs. 

Yea I’m actually not an Avril hater, I was just drinking last night and poking the bear lol 

52 minutes ago, Scott. said:

What are you crabbing me for you cunt?

I don’t wanna say it cuz you’ll all cry and attack me but because the startling line sucks...super weak and lame whiny band. They had their 15 minutes of fame under blink’s wings, thought I’d never have to hear about those little hollister posers again 

also, why do you always get so butthurt and comment about it everytime you get a crab? Lol

10 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I don’t wanna say it cuz you’ll all cry and attack me but because the startling line sucks...super weak and lame whiny band. They had their 15 minutes of fame under blink’s wings, thought I’d never have to hear about those little hollister posers again 

also, why do you always get so butthurt and comment about it everytime you get a crab? Lol

Go play Madden for 20 minutes you helmet. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Because it’s fucking pathetic. Anybody who gives a fuck about clicking on the crab icon is a sad fucking cunt.

• Crab 2