New generation of pop punk

Champ182

4 minutes ago, SpinUpSpeedo said:

I'm an asshole. I still ascribe by the whole "time spent in the trenches" of punk/pop punk. MGK just decided one day he was going to make guitar music and call it pop punk. There's no background to it, he didn't spend years developing his sound or style (which is why it sounds generic), which is why it rubs me the wrong way. I know it's nonsensical and I know I'm probably wrong in my ideals but ... c'est la vie, I guess. 

If you wanna throw some distorted power chord guitar over some mid-to-high tempo drums, fat tongued, snotty vocals and call it pop punk then, fine, be my guest but don't expect this old curmudgeon to accept your trespassing and not tell you to get the fuck off his lawn.

... Ruining my fucking daisies.

100%. The dude has seemed cheesy and insincere to me since I first heard him in like 2011. Kids on this board saying he destroyed Eminem is some delusional MGK fan boy shit...MGK has been rapping since when , 2010 or earlier? And just now had to switch to try and become a “rock” artist? Well that’s pretty suspect timing after the Eminem feud if you ask me. Eminem is still making rap music, that’s much better than anything MGK ever put out. Corey Taylor even just threw some shade at MGK, that’s because real artists/fans of real art know a fraud when they see one. I consider Travis a real one, but we also know he loves chasing the cheddar. 

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

1 hour ago, SpinUpSpeedo said:

I'm an asshole. I still ascribe by the whole "time spent in the trenches" of punk/pop punk. MGK just decided one day he was going to make guitar music and call it pop punk. There's no background to it, he didn't spend years developing his sound or style (which is why it sounds generic), which is why it rubs me the wrong way. I know it's nonsensical and I know I'm probably wrong in my ideals but ... c'est la vie, I guess. 

If you wanna throw some distorted power chord guitar over some mid-to-high tempo drums, fat tongued, snotty vocals and call it pop punk then, fine, be my guest but don't expect this old curmudgeon to accept your trespassing and not tell you to get the fuck off his lawn.

... Ruining my fucking daisies.

It's a homage.  Tribute.  You dumbass (es)

3 minutes ago, Unofficial Mod - Jan said:

No but it's clear they lacked faith/direction in their music without him.  He was definitely a mastermind behind their success in their heyday.

Finn was a producer, producers help build the ideas already in process ... I'm not sure why the Krew confuses that with co-writer.

Just now, SpinUpSpeedo said:

Finn was a producer, producers help build the ideas already in process ... I'm not sure why the Krew confuses that with co-writer.

We don't confuse anything.  If I can speak for Ghent I think we argue that if Finn were producing blink albums today, he'd get a writing credit just like Feldmann does.

6 minutes ago, SpinUpSpeedo said:

Tribute shitting on the floor isn't a homage to your last meal.

Nice try

#unfunny

It was a good homage, it happened to be one of the best mainstream pop/punk albums in quite some time while being a homage, that goes to say something.

5 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

We don't confuse anything.  If I can speak for Ghent I think we argue that if Finn were producing blink albums today, he'd get a writing credit just like Feldmann does.

The new songs literally have Co writer credits from outside songwriting teams (not producers) and Mark has said as much. 

You guys need to let this one go.

Just now, Unofficial Mod - Jan said:

Nice try

#unfunny

It was a good homage, it happened to be one of the best mainstream pop/punk albums in quite some time while being a homage, that goes to say something.

It was hilarious.

Being the only mainstream pop punk album doesn't make it the best. It has 3 good songs, the rest is filler with the same recycled melodies and progressions used throughout. It was certainly an effort but let's not get carried away.

• Like 2
  • Crab 1

1 minute ago, SpinUpSpeedo said:

It was hilarious.

Being the only mainstream pop punk album doesn't make it the best. It has 3 good songs, the rest is filler with the same recycled melodies and progressions used throughout. It was certainly an effort but let's not get carried away.

That's what mainstream pop punk is, this isn't Dream Theater.

Go listen to Dream Theater.