New generation of pop punk

Champ182

3 minutes ago, Ghent said:

So how about this Olivia Rodrigo tune “Good for you?” That is a pop punkish tune destroying pop radio. I don’t think her other music is like that, but that one song has my attention.

Let’s hear some trash takes about how the mix is bad or something

Never heard it, I don’t listen to the radio, and certainly not pop radio. Gross. Carry on. 

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

So how about this Olivia Rodrigo tune “Good for you?” That is a pop punkish tune destroying pop radio. I don’t think her other music is like that, but that one song has my attention.

Great song. It's maybe a bit too much like Misery Business, but I don't care, Rodrigo made it better.

Brutal is good too. More grunge/riot grrrl than pop punk though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Great song. It's maybe a bit too much like Misery Business, but I don't care, Rodrigo made it better.

Brutal is good too. More grunge/riot grrrl than pop punk though.

Haven’t heard that one yet and yes, definitely hear some Paramore in Good For You.

9 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

Never heard it, I don’t listen to the radio, and certainly not pop radio. Gross. Carry on. 

whoa cowboy don’t cut yourself with that edge 

I listen to shitty music made by shitty musicians on shitty sounding recordings. I don't know, that's just my thing, I guess. Rodrigo and the others coming out don't do much for me personally but more power to them for furthering the genre. If you like it, enjoy it. Life is short, listen to what you want and dance around like a retard to it. 

43 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Love it! That one, Brutal, and Deja Vu (which isn't pop punky) are all sweet summer jams. Her lyrics are very specific and have a surprising amount of 00s pop/emo/pop punk zest in them for coming from a 2021 teenager haha. Personally I like how she's just a person (who is, yes, incredibly famous) playing music she apparently likes, rather than trying to brand herself as Bringing Back Pop Punk™️ OR a pop princess or something, or just being branded in any direction. Kinda refreshing in the pop world.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I listen to shitty music made by shitty musicians on shitty sounding recordings. I don't know, that's just my thing, I guess. Rodrigo and the others coming out don't do much for me personally but more power to them for furthering the genre. If you like it, enjoy it. Life is short, listen to what you want and dance around like a retard to it. 

I’ve never even heard of her. Guess I’m behind the times 

44 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Haven’t heard that one yet and yes, definitely hear some Paramore in Good For You.

whoa cowboy don’t cut yourself with that edge 

You don’t have to have edge to not like shitty pop radio. Believe it or not boys and girls, there was actually a time when blink stood against and made fun of this shit. But here I am being the one made fun of on a blink board for not liking that trash. Oh the irony lol

11 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

You don’t have to have edge to not like shitty pop radio. Believe it or not boys and girls, there was actually a time when blink stood against and made fun of this shit. But here I am being the one made fun of on a blink board for not liking that trash. Oh the irony lol

If you bought into the marketing behind blink then I have some ocean front property to sell you.

3 minutes ago, Speedo said:

If you think there was ever a time when punk wasn't selling an image to all the kids ...

That’s not the discussion here. Whether you believe the Schtick or not, blink made fun of pop artists. Now I’m being made fun of for the same thing, on a blink board. That’s the irony. Quit trying to look too deep into and trying to give me a lesson that I already am aware of, thank you 

1 minute ago, Patient #48273 said:

It's really embarrassing that someone in his 30s cares so much about cred.

Lol I don’t care about cred where the fuck did I say that? I just know that if music is on the radio it generally is generic, soulless and sucks ass. I’m by far not alone on that assessment. This has nothing to do with cred, Speedo is just trying to take it that route 

4 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

My point went over your head. You know blink did exist before their MTV days too, right?

It didn't go over my head at all and I do know that. They also had no qualms with being as big as possible, they were never about keeping it underground.

6 minutes ago, Kay said:

I also don't know who she is or the song because I too don't listen to the radio but I don't automatically assume it's trash because it's on there. 

Well that’s the difference between me and you, I do assume it’s trash if it’s on popular radio today. Absolutely without question. Every blue moon we’ll get an Adele or someone who is actually talented and has soul, but 99 times out of 100 it’s some bullshit that gets forgotten within 2 years 

1 minute ago, Speedo said:

It didn't go over my head at all and I do know that. They also had no qualms with being as big as possible, they were never about keeping it underground.

When the fuck did I ever start talking about cred or underground? I simply said I reject pop radio of today. And that at a time blink made fun of it too (which is 100% true and it doesn’t matter that they were part of that same pop radio-I’m well aware of that, thanks for trying to step in an correct me tho thou holy one). This was never some punk rock credibility discussion