New generation of pop punk

Champ182

5 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

That’s not the discussion here. Whether you believe the Schtick or not, blink made fun of pop artists. Now I’m being made fun of for the same thing, on a blink board. That’s the irony. Quit trying to look too deep into and trying to give me a lesson that I already am aware of, thank you 

The band got with a director who thought it was a good idea to make a video mocking boy bands and assorted pop acts of the time. The band, by their own admission, thought it was a terrible idea. It worked. Thus, the "not your sisters radio-friendly pop shtick" was marketed to the masses. Blink had no qualms with writing pop hits, just because they did so on guitar doesn't mean it was written to be earworms.

1 minute ago, Patient #48273 said:

Why do you reject pop radio of today, but not of the '90s?

I was younger and dumber 20+ years ago? As well I don’t believe Spotify and YouTube existed to give me all the music I need at my own fingertips. I don’t understand why anyone would even waste their time with radio and listening to what someone else is telling them to listen to. The whole idea is extremely outdated and I’m just not down with it. That doesn’t mean I care about cred, good music is good music. 

4 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

Well that’s the difference between me and you, I do assume it’s trash if it’s on popular radio today. Absolutely without question. Every blue moon we’ll get an Adele or someone who is actually talented and has soul, but 99 times out of 100 it’s some bullshit that gets forgotten within 2 years 

Is the reason you're unknown because you're refusing to sellout all your talent?

7 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

Lol I don’t care about cred where the fuck did I say that? I just know that if music is on the radio it generally is generic, soulless and sucks ass. I’m by far not alone on that assessment. This has nothing to do with cred, Speedo is just trying to take it that route 

I mean, having an army of pretentious edgelords backing your poor argument doesn't exactly seal a victory. It's just stupid thinking on your (and their part). There's little worse than the aversion to something because it's popular ... its almost as bad as the musicians who whinge on about the "art man".

3 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

I was younger and dumber 20+ years ago? As well I don’t believe Spotify and YouTube existed to give me all the music I need at my own fingertips. I don’t understand why anyone would even waste their time with radio and listening to what someone else is telling them to listen to. The whole idea is extremely outdated and I’m just not down with it. That doesn’t mean I care about cred, good music is good music. 

I don't listen to the radio either, but I also don't dismiss music just because someone says it's popular on the radio.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Speedo said:

The band got with a director who thought it was a good idea to make a video mocking boy bands and assorted pop acts of the time. The band, by their own admission, thought it was a terrible idea. It worked. Thus, the "not your sisters radio-friendly pop shtick" was marketed to the masses. Blink had no qualms with writing pop hits, just because they did so on guitar doesn't mean it was written to be earworms.

I really don’t understand where you’re going with this. Once again, irrelevant. I’m not disagreeing with any of that but none of that has to do with anything I said. There are also plenty of interviews where Mark and Tom make fun of pop artists and say they suck. Yes they were a pop band. But they also at least wrote their own music, owned the rights to their music and started organically. That makes them different than the Backstreet Boys whether you want to admit it or not. And they made fun of pop bands, in videos and interviews, which is what I was referring to. 

Just now, Patient #48273 said:

I don't listen to the radio either, but I also don't dismiss music just because someone says it's popular on the radio.

Well i do. And I have no problem with it. I’ll find the music I need on my own , I have no interest in the Flavor of the Week…unless it’s American Hi-Fi ;)

7 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

When the fuck did I ever start talking about cred or underground? I simply said I reject pop radio of today. This was never some punk rock credibility discussion 

It's not exactly a stretch to apply the underground music scene as the opposite of radio pop. Blink, had they not hit it big with pop hits would, arguable, still be in the basements and small venues of the underground scene.

5 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Is the reason you're unknown because you're refusing to sellout all your talent?

Umm biggest reason probably because I don’t record music and I’m a 34 year old bald guy who has made no effort. But sure, I’ll go with what you said. 

2 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

I really don’t understand where you’re going with this. Once again, irrelevant. I’m not disagreeing with any of that but none of that has to do with anything I said. There are also plenty of interviews where Mark and Tom make fun of pop artists and say they suck. Yes they were a pop band. But they also at least wrote their own music, owned the rights to their music and started organically. That makes them different than the Backstreet Boys whether you want to admit it or not. And they made fun of pop bands, in videos and interviews, which is what I was referring to. 

Mark and Tom furthering their point of marketability to the angsty mainstream? You don't say!

I understand you don't get it, that doesn't negate the point. 

1 minute ago, FAPLORD said:

Umm biggest reason probably because I don’t record music and I’m a 34 year old bald guy who has made no effort. But sure, I’ll go with what you said. 

Ah, so you only ever played by yourself in your room. I see.

3 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I mean, having an army of pretentious edgelords backing your poor argument doesn't exactly seal a victory. It's just stupid thinking on your (and their part). There's little worse than the aversion to something because it's popular ... its almost as bad as the musicians who whinge on about the "art man".

Backing my poor argument? About how there is irony of fans on a board for a band that became widely popular by making fun of other pop artists, are now making fun of me for making fun of pop artists? Well, seems like you’re the one without an argument here pal. There was no argument, just stated irony and here you go trying to argue over nothing . Sorry but you make no sense on this one bud 

1 minute ago, Speedo said:

Mark and Tom furthering their point of marketability to the angsty mainstream? You don't say!

I understand you don't get it, that doesn't negate the point. 

Dude you’re being a fucking douche. It’s a very simple point. Tom and Mark made fans by making fun of other pop radio artists. Those fans are here on this board, making fun of other people for making fun of pop artists, despite being fans of guys widely known for making fun of said pop artists. Sorry that it’s too simple for you to comprehend and you have to go talking schematics that literally have ZERO to do with anything I said, and absolutely do not NEGATE what I said 

3 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

It's fine, just admit that you're narrow-minded.

No, I just know that the radio is fucking garbage and I can find much better content on Spotify and letting that pick songs for me. I could easily call you or anyone who listens to the radio narrow minded for not thinking for yourself and just listening to whatever comes on , because hey, that’s the cool thing to do 

No, I just know that the radio is fucking garbage and I can find much better content on Spotify and letting that pick songs for me. I could easily call you or anyone who listens to the radio narrow minded for not thinking for yourself and just listening to whatever comes on , because hey, that’s the cool thing to do 

Lol I just said I don't listen to the radio. I listen to plenty of underground stuff too because I can think for myself and judge a song for what it is. I don't have to rely on simple categories like "popular" or "underground" or whatever to help me figure out whether something is worth listening to. Maybe if you learn more about music and build up your self-confidence, you can one day evaluate music more effectively too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patient #48273 said:

Lol I just said I don't listen to the radio. I listen to plenty of underground stuff too because I can think for myself and judge a song for what it is. I don't have to rely on simple categories like "popular" or "underground" or whatever to help me figure out whether something is worth listening to. Maybe if you learn more about music and build up your self-confidence, you can one day evaluate music more effectively too.

Lol. I’m fine on my Confidence. The thing is, every time I’m forced to listen to radio, whether that is at work, around partners, family, and friends, I don’t ever like anything I hear. And I am fine with the music I’m already aware of and would rather listen to that and discover new music through those means. So what incentive do I have to continue listening to the radio when it always makes me cringe?  If you step on a nail and it hurts, do you keep stepping on it? 

Lol. I’m fine on my Confidence. The thing is, every time I’m forced to listen to radio, whether that is at work, around partners, family, and friends, I don’t ever like anything I hear. And I am fine with the music I’m already aware of and would rather listen to that and discover new music through those means. So what incentive do I have to continue listening to the radio when it always makes me cringe?  If you step on a nail and it hurts, do you keep stepping on it? 

I'm not telling you to listen to the radio. I'm saying it's narrow-minded to conclude that something is bad just because it's on the radio.