New generation of pop punk

Champ182

11 minutes ago, Scott. said:

I don’t mind his vocals tbh. It’s quite nice to not have that whiny pop punk vocal

His singing style sounds like he's extremely bored, or constantly stoned. 

On 8/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, Scott. said:

fucking hell I love this. That chorus is so simple yet so nice

Damn, Kelly really a legend.

He's like taking all the good old melodies we grew up with and putting his own little spin on it.  He's different enough yet so it feels fresh (I think being solo instead of a band has something to do with this).

Also, they did a good job with this video, especially Travis at the end there. They seem like a perfect fit.

"Demonized lately because I was born with an angel face"

Shoot me, but I like it. 

MGK for life.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kay said:

Yeah it takes getting used to but that's his style. He's pretty genuine with it and it kind of makes up for it.  I'd hate it if he tried singing in a pop punky vocal, which I think he did a few times and sucked. 

Leave that to Jordan Pundik.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kay said:

It's that all life has been squeezed out from his vocals with Melodyne that is unnerving for me. I don't know if he does that to himself or if it's just Travis that don't know how to navigate Melodyne, but I don't really know why they'd want to do that. I mean you can tune the vocals heavily and still don't get this unnatural sound. 

It's really too bad too because I would probably enjoy the heck out of it if it weren't for that, the songs aren't bad at all.

• Like 1

This isn't quite the purpose of this thread, but I was listening to the new Killers album (which is shockingly great, I liked their first album but never kept up with them over the years. Never knew they were capable of an album this interesting, highly recommended).

Anyway, sometimes I come across songs that make me think "If you squint hard enough, THIS is what Blink could have evolved into if Tom never lost his mind." Usually it's something that has elements of Tom's anthemic ambitions, classic melodic energetic Blink-style alt rock, and 80s new wave Tom and Mark both have love for. Certain elements like slide guitar aside, this Killers song is the latest example I've heard. The outro especially reminds me of one of their extended instrumentals they were doing live after Untitled.

• Like 1