New generation of pop punk

Champ182

2 hours ago, Speedo said:

Who wants to watch Travis play drums and color with crayons all day? The guy is a great drummer but he isn't exactly the sharpest tack in the junk drawer.

Doesn’t matter. He’s lived an interesting life and documentaries usually spend more time interviewing those who know the person rather than just Travis. Not saying it’ll be amazing but it has potential at least.

i've enjoyed a few tunes of MGK's tickets to my downfall in the past year, mainly title track and jawbreaker. but i just gave the whole thing a listen and i fucking love this shit haha. it's such a fun listen, combining a lot of classic pop punk themes with some tight (and enjoyably formulaic) songwriting. it's definitely a top-tier pop punk effort in my book, a pretty important LP in the history of the genre at this point. feels gratifying to see pop punk back in the limelight, and while i never expected MGK would be the one who spearheaded it, i appreciate it all the same.

also, "nothing inside" sounds almost copy-pasted from "on some emo shit", right down the chords/drum pattern/808s lmao

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 9/28/2021 at 11:33 PM, boxelder said:

i've enjoyed a few tunes of MGK's tickets to my downfall in the past year, mainly title track and jawbreaker. but i just gave the whole thing a listen and i fucking love this shit haha. it's such a fun listen, combining a lot of classic pop punk themes with some tight (and enjoyably formulaic) songwriting. it's definitely a top-tier pop punk effort in my book, a pretty important LP in the history of the genre at this point. feels gratifying to see pop punk back in the limelight, and while i never expected MGK would be the one who spearheaded it, i appreciate it all the same.

also, "nothing inside" sounds almost copy-pasted from "on some emo shit", right down the chords/drum pattern/808s lmao

It was a good time. It's unfortunate it will likely be a one time thing, but I appreciate it for what it is.  Him and Travis really nailed it.

Title track is definitely my favorite.  Handful of bangers on there.

And then they met the Kardashians.

(I know this was before stfu)

On 9/21/2021 at 6:04 PM, Champ182 said:

If you've seen my posts you know I prefer my pop-punk to be an ingredient with indie rock, so my picks aren't really in the Travis/MGK vein, but here's a band from New Zealand that I fucking love right now:

(Bonus points on this one for sharing a name with a +44 song

These guys are awesome! Was supposed to see them live, but the show got postponed due to Covid.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hotpantsdelonge said:

i wrote MGK off when he outed himself as a nonce. still waiting to see an artist from this whole "pop punk revival" who isn't a total douchebag and can actually write good music.

images.0.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://wfpk.org/2021/jxdn-i-told-travis-barker-that-were-making-punk-cool-again-he-said-dont-get-it-twisted-punk-has-always-been-cool/

"I told Travis Barker that we're making punk cool again. He said don't get it twisted, punk has always been cool."

Love it.  Jxdn is probably not everyones cup of tea, but I like his debut album.  Only being 20 years old he's got a lot of potential with Travis & MGK backing him.  My friends saw him + MGK in concert last week and said it was an absolute blast.

• Like 1

It's weird, I don't know how to describe it exactly but this "nu pop punk" stuff just doesn't even seem real to me. It feels like some industry players like Travis are just shaping random TikTok personalities into carefully curated pop-punk clones.

Yes, I know, tons of 00s pop punk bands were inauthentic as well, including Blink themselves in some ways. But at that time it felt like the industry plucking up pop-punk bands from the pop-punk world and making them bright and shiny for mass consumption. This feels more like the industry plucking up people who have nothing to do with that world and putting them into pop-punk Halloween costumes.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

It's weird, I don't know how to describe it exactly but this "nu pop punk" stuff just doesn't even seem real to me. It feels like some industry players like Travis are just shaping random TikTok personalities into carefully curated pop-punk clones.

Yes, I know, tons of 00s pop punk bands were inauthentic as well, including Blink themselves in some ways. But at that time it felt like the industry plucking up pop-punk bands from the pop-punk world and making them bright and shiny for mass consumption. This feels more like the industry plucking up people who have nothing to do with that world and putting them into pop-punk Halloween costumes.

It's a cheaper version of what happened in the early naughts. Plastic rock for snot-nosed brats.

• Like 1

unbelievable analysis @Champ182. i definitely agree about jxdn or whatever. MGK feels somewhat different because he’s flirted with pop punk his whole career, and the LP winkingly uses pop punk tropes and cliches in a celebratory way. likewise kennyhoopla, another travis collaborator, has always done this type of stuff.

but the jxdns and whoever’s next, plus the random olivia rodrigo stuff, feels much as you described

• Like 1

Pretty fascinating look at this strange scene, and some mentions of Travis: How Chase Hudson, TikTok heartthrob, became Lil Huddy, snarling pop-punk rocker

At 18, Hudson counts nearly 30 million followers and over 1 billion views on TikTok, where he’s been building an empire since he was 12. In 2019, he co-founded Hype House, the now-infamous mansion in Los Angeles that’s home to a collective of young TikTok personalities, who cohabitate and produce videos together around the clock. Hype House alumni include teen super-influencers who would volley among one another’s TikTok channels, performing lip-syncs and dance challenges and racking up lucrative sponsorship deals.

His big break from the TikTok life came when he was cast in the 2021 film “Downfalls High,” a companion to Machine Gun Kelly’s 2020 chart-topping pop-punk album, “Tickets to My Downfall.” In the same week that “Downfalls High” first dropped, Lil Huddy became Mersel’s first signing — despite the fact that he only had a few scrappy demos to his name.

Hudson is far from the only TikTok star who’s sought to parlay insta-fame into a music career. In 2020, Jxdn penned a deal with Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker’s DTA Records.

On 10/18/2021 at 2:04 PM, Champ182 said:

I actually like Olivia Rodrigo much more than anybody I've heard in this strange Nu Pop Punk (did I just coin that phrase?) world.

from my little time spent listening to her, she's still much more of a pop artist that's just incorporating guitar and recognizable elements into her music. i doubt she spends much more effort than that into being "pop punk", which i think is the difference.

• Like 1