New generation of pop punk

Champ182

3 hours ago, Mr Blonde said:

Do you know what sets 00s pop punk and modern pop punk apart? The riffs. These modern bands can’t riff to save their lives ffs. I miss those Tom Delonge riffs man 

You ever listen to Knucklepuck?  I feel like they do a pretty good job with the guitar and catchy riffs/hooks.

Listened to that no pressure record. It’s ok. It’s all a bit samey to me. One song though is a banger, sounds like a blink song, the bassline is classic mark and Parker’s vocals sound like Tom a little bit. Check it out 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Blonde said:

Listened to that no pressure record. It’s ok. It’s all a bit samey to me. One song though is a banger, sounds like a blink song, the bassline is classic mark and Parker’s vocals sound like Tom a little bit. Check it out 

Thats my favorite off the album too!  I wish Parker would commit to a new TSSF record, but at least we have this... even if it's not quite as good.

Curious what you folks who hate/dislike MGK think of this performance he did at the Billboard Awards.  Pretty ballsy, played a deep cut acoustic on national TV.  Pretty rad.

5 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Tickets to my Downfall was good fun, second album just wasn't quite the same and lacked the 'woahhhhh MGK has a pop punk album'

Makes sense he is going back to hip hop tbh, I think if he did a third pop punk album it would be absolute dogshit. 

You mean like his first two?

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

5 hours ago, scoobs said:

Thats my favorite off the album too!  I wish Parker would commit to a new TSSF record, but at least we have this... even if it's not quite as good.

Curious what you folks who hate/dislike MGK think of this performance he did at the Billboard Awards.  Pretty ballsy, played a deep cut acoustic on national TV.  Pretty rad.

He’s just not authentic. This shit is lame and there’s much better music to listen to. Would never waste my time 

• Like 3
  • Crab 1

13 hours ago, FAPLORD said:

He’s just not authentic. This shit is lame and there’s much better music to listen to. Would never waste my time 

Unlike Tom Delonge writing First Date when he was 25 years old and engaged. That was the height of authenticity right there.

A lot of pop punk musicians pander to kids. Sometimes it's awful and sometimes it's great, but it's not authentic.

• Like 2

In a way, MGK is more authentic than most of them, because it's clearly, as everyone but Diddy can see, A HOMAGE to pop punk of the early 2000s.

It's authentic enough for that sense. Much better than whatever the hell Offspring, Fall Out Boy, Blink are doing nowadays, pretending to be young and edgey. Which is part of why I liked it (outside of it genuinely sounding pretty damn good).

Tickets that is, everything else has been trash, unsurprisingly.

14 hours ago, FAPLORD said:

You mean like his first two?

First one was a fun album that I enjoyed, second was a bit meh and never really gave it more than a couple listens. 

14 hours ago, FAPLORD said:

Mark Hoppus saying nobody likes you when you're 23 when he was in fact 27?
Did Tom Delonge really want to fuck a dog in the arse? not sure on that one either
Did Mark Hoppus Grandad really eat seven hotdogs and shit his pants on Labour day? 
Mark talking about how great it is when a girls parents going out of town when he was like 30?
Even their Bored to Death video related to a kid being bored in high school when he was like 45...

Like Laura said, most pop punk panders to its audience - you don't like MGK which is fair enough, but you can't use that BS reason as to why. 

4 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

Unlike Tom Delonge writing First Date when he was 25 years old and engaged. That was the height of authenticity right there.

A lot of pop punk musicians pander to kids. Sometimes it's awful and sometimes it's great, but it's not authentic.

I am not arguing that, but at least Tom admits what he was doing with that song and they made a fun video with it. They never acted like First Date made them hard or authentic. They weren’t trying to be something they’re not…unlike Squirt Gun Smelly 

• Crab 1

3 hours ago, Here I am, chorus in a Can said:

In a way, MGK is more authentic than most of them, because it's clearly, as everyone but Diddy can see, A HOMAGE to pop punk of the early 2000s.

It's authentic enough for that sense. Much better than whatever the hell Offspring, Fall Out Boy, Blink are doing nowadays, pretending to be young and edgey. Which is part of why I liked it (outside of it genuinely sounding pretty damn good).

Tickets that is, everything else has been trash, unsurprisingly.

Yea ok dude 🤣. What are you, MGK’s publicist? I see you just try to repeat everything he tells you hook, line, and sinker. Homage or not, it’s trash and inauthentic. Just admit it’s cheesy as fuck and enjoy it , but quit acting like he has more credibility than those bands (except maybe FOB- never liked them either). No grown ass man should be listening to MGK lol 

2 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

First one was a fun album that I enjoyed, second was a bit meh and never really gave it more than a couple listens. 

Mark Hoppus saying nobody likes you when you're 23 when he was in fact 27?
Did Tom Delonge really want to fuck a dog in the arse? not sure on that one either
Did Mark Hoppus Grandad really eat seven hotdogs and shit his pants on Labour day? 
Mark talking about how great it is when a girls parents going out of town when he was like 30?
Even their Bored to Death video related to a kid being bored in high school when he was like 45...

Like Laura said, most pop punk panders to its audience - you don't like MGK which is fair enough, but you can't use that BS reason as to why. 

Blink wasn’t being serious. MGK tries too hard. There’s a huge difference. Tom and Travis were 23 when that song was written so that’s a horrible example of you to use, just because Mark wrote the song by the way. 2/3 of the band were in fact, 23. Try again. As well, you mentioned most pop punk panders to its audience. Cool story, doesn’t change a thing or make his music any more high quality, shit just sucks ass and he’s a cornball. There’s a reason you see him getting tons of hate out there. Next you guys are gonna be telling me Nickelback is an epic and revolutionary rock band 😂

People don't like him for various reasons, some of them fair, but I also think some of the stuff people come up with as to why this guy is the actual worst is just a bit much to me. 

• "He said something bad 13 years ago" Who didn't say stupid shit when they were 19?  The dudes 32... what were you doing when you were 19?  I was in college drunk off my ass and I guarantee I said plenty of heinous shit
  • "He's not genuine/not a true pop punker cuz he was a rapper first", whatever... fine i guess.  I just don't see why that matters.  If 'Tickets' is a legitimately good pop punk album (sorry but it is) why should it matter what genre he used to do music in?  I don't see how that's relevant.

I think a lot of the pop punk scene just refuses to accept MGK came in and made one of the best albums the scene has produced in recent memory on his first try.  Makes some people upset I guess, but I don't look at music that way... if its catchy and I like it, I don't care who sings it.  I listen to so much fucking music by so many bands, not once have I looked into the history of these people to try and find reasons why I shouldn't listen.

Gate keeping, whatever you wanna call it is real bad with MGK.  Such a weird thing to me.  You're free to hate him and his music all you want, but we don't need to read about it everytime his names mentioned.  Keep your seething hatred to yourself I guess is my point.