New generation of pop punk

Champ182

Just now, scoobs said:

People don't like him for various reasons, some of them fair, but I also think some of the stuff people come up with as to why this guy is the actual worst is just a bit much to me. 

• "He said something bad 13 years ago" Who didn't say stupid shit when they were 19?  The dudes 32... what were you doing when you were 19?  I was in college drunk off my ass and I guarantee I said plenty of heinous shit
  • "He's not genuine/not a true pop punker cuz he was a rapper first", whatever... fine i guess.  I just don't see why that matters.  If 'Tickets' is a legitimately good pop punk album (sorry but it is) why should it matter what genre he used to do music in?  I don't see how that's relevant.

I think a lot of the pop punk scene just refuses to accept MGK came in and made one of the best albums the scene has produced in recent memory on his first try.  Makes some people upset I guess, but I don't look at music that way... if its catchy and I like it, I don't care who sings it.  I listen to so much fucking music by so many bands, not once have I looked into the history of these people to try and find reasons why I shouldn't listen.

Gate keeping, whatever you wanna call it is real bad with MGK.  Such a weird thing to me.

First of all I think the pop punk scene is just lame as fuck these days anyway. I don’t give a shit what MGK said 13 years ago or two days ago, the music is bland, sterile, emotionless, and he’s all about the IMAGE. No passion, all fashion. Enjoy it if you want but to say it’s good music is laughable 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

I am not arguing that, but at least Tom admits what he was doing with that song and they made a fun video with it. They never acted like First Date made them hard or authentic. They weren’t trying to be something they’re not…unlike Squirt Gun Smelly 

I think you just take MGK way too seriously. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FAPLORD said:

No I don’t at all, I could never take him seriously lol. I think the ones who think he made a good album take him too seriously 🤷🏼‍♂️

I don't think you get what I mean. I know you don't respect him, but I think your interpretation of his work and what he aims to do with it assumes more seriousness than is actually intended. Just like how any adult trying to take First Date, Reckless Abandon or Give Me One Good Reason seriously would be be put off by them.

1 minute ago, Speedo said:

I hate him because he Puddle of Mudd’d a SOAD song.

That was an awful performance, but he explains what happened with this on a podcast he did recently.  TLDR they picked the song an hour before they went on, wanted to do something weird that nobody expected, so that's what we got I guess.

7 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

First of all I think the pop punk scene is just lame as fuck these days anyway. I don’t give a shit what MGK said 13 years ago or two days ago, the music is bland, sterile, emotionless, and he’s all about the IMAGE. No passion, all fashion. Enjoy it if you want but to say it’s good music is laughable 

I think a lot of us have just grown up and radio friendly pop punk isn't what we want.  There's still some old school pop punk acts out there if you try hard enough, they just aren't as popular (neck deep prob being the most popular, but i actually don't love their stuff).  Check out State Champs new album, pretty good.

• Like 1

Can I just hate him because he sounds like he’s drunk out of his mind when he sings and his music is incredibly wank? No higher reason, I just think he sucks. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Patient #48273 said:

I don't think you get what I mean. I know you don't respect him, but I think your interpretation of his work and what he aims to do with it assumes more seriousness than is actually intended. Just like how any adult trying to take First Date, Reckless Abandon or Give Me One Good Reason seriously would be be put off by them.

I don’t know, but I do know I ain’t gonna spend my day bitching and moaning about MGK. The dude is living it up, but to see Jan try and act like he’s more authentic or credible than the offspring or blink is funny. That is all, Godspeed!

3 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

I don’t know, but I do know I ain’t gonna spend my day bitching and moaning about MGK. The dude is living it up, but to see Jan try and act like he’s more authentic or credible than the offspring or blink is funny. That is all, Godspeed!

I'm glad you're finally Chillin4alivin.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, scoobs said:

That was an awful performance, but he explains what happened with this on a podcast he did recently.  TLDR they picked the song an hour before they went on, wanted to do something weird that nobody expected, so that's what we got I guess.

That’s a lie Scoobs, I hate to be the one to break it to you but they absolutely did not just decide to do that song an hour before they played it. It’s clearly rehearsed, hell, the arrangement was fine and musically they did okay. You don’t just jump into a song like that and play it with 6 other people with no rehearsal and a different arrangement. It was just a song he doesn’t have the range to sing, they should have just abandoned the idea. Lying about the time they “didn’t have” is a shit way to treat the other members of the band who showed up, have the talent, didn’t smoke through it and put forth the effort to do their job.

• Like 4
  • Crab 1

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

Can I just hate him because he sounds like he’s drunk out of his mind when he sings and his music is incredibly wank? No higher reason, I just think he sucks. 

Fat tongue. He sings like his tongue is swollen. I don’t know why, his voice is fine on everything else he does.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

Yea ok dude 🤣. What are you, MGK’s publicist? I see you just try to repeat everything he tells you hook, line, and sinker. Homage or not, it’s trash and inauthentic. Just admit it’s cheesy as fuck and enjoy it , but quit acting like he has more credibility than those bands (except maybe FOB- never liked them either). No grown ass man should be listening to MGK lol 

We are not just grown men that listen to MGK, we are grown men that have grown with MGK together.  And we will continue to grow with him.

Also, I don't see how a homage is inauthentic.  Pretty unique take on the genre if you ask me.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Here I am, chorus in a Can said:

We are not just grown men that listen to MGK, we are grown men that have grown with MGK together.  And we will continue to grow with him.

Also, I don't see how a homage is inauthentic.  Pretty unique take on the genre if you ask me.

Is there a man you don’t grow with, slut?

7 minutes ago, Elisa said:

i do believe we are getting a little too bold with that statement

Lol fair enough, I guess I’m basing that off of he’s by far the biggest act right now so obviously a lot of people love it.  Reviews good too, but ya, I worded that poorly.

It’s okay to like shit music, god knows 90% of the bands I listen to are dog shit musicians and songwriters. That’s just my thing. MGK doesn’t have to be the pop punk Jesus to enjoy his music, just like what you like. You don’t have to fool yourself into it and you sure as shit aren’t fooling anyone else.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Speedo said:

It’s okay to like shit music, god knows 90% of the bands I listen to are dog shit musicians and songwriters. That’s just my thing. MGK doesn’t have to be the pop punk Jesus to enjoy his music, just like what you like. You don’t have to fool yourself into it and you sure as shit aren’t fooling anyone else.

Perfectly said 

• Like 1