New generation of pop punk

On 12/31/2020 at 9:37 PM, Tom Bot said:

Machine Gun Kelly is working with Avril Lavigne. Could be interesting. 

134808907_10161203960422580_538320717130

Very likely to have been working on the collab with Mod Sun called 'Flames'. They've directed music video's for each over and Mod was all other the snippets of making 'Tickets to My Downfall', so MGK may have very well played guitar on that track. 

As a matter of fact, that looks like Mod Sun holding the camera in the image haha!

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

do we even have members under 18 here? don't tell feeling_this...

Travis and MGK did the album live,   

Posted Images

Seein as this is a 'New Generation' thread, has anybody heard of the band Girlfriends? 

It's Travis Mills and Nick Gross (Current Goldfinger Drummer) who pretty much decided to form a band around 12 months ago. Some okay songs are fairly decent, 'Stay Awhile' is very Boys Don't Cry/Just Like Heaven, for all you Cure fans out there! Possibly on John Feldmann record label, or he's worked with them at least, he's on their 'California' video. 

On 1/13/2021 at 5:41 AM, Ghent said:

I'm still listening to Tickets to My Downfall. Probably best non blink pop punk released for over 10 years

Nah it's better than anything Blink has released post-Self Titled. At least the lyrics seem consistently genuine and believable. 

1 hour ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Nothing about MGK is genuine or believable lol

Yeeeeeah I think this is more about these guys giving up on new music for the last 10 years. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Kay said:

Yeeeeeah I think this is more about these guys giving up on new music for the last 10 years. 

I've listened to all kinds of new music for the last 10 years, just not pop punk because it's been generally terrible.

This MGK album though. whew. genre is back in business 🔥🔥🔥

• Crab 1
48 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I've listened to all kinds of new music for the last 10 years, just not pop punk because it's been generally terrible.

This MGK album though. whew. genre is back in business 🔥🔥🔥

Shame it took a rapper who can barely play guitar to do it, would have been nice if the pioneers of pop punk could of done it tbh. 

21 minutes ago, Kay said:

There's been a lot of pop punk over the years, the mainstream just isn't interested in it. 

It's been going strong since the 80s ('74 if you count Ramones ... which, I do), mainstream or not. There's been a ton of great pop punk/power pop records in the last decade.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Kay said:

There's been a lot of pop punk over the years, the mainstream just isn't interested in it. 

And it also isn't the same type of super glossy 'pink and black Hot Topic shirt" aesthetic that encompassed trendy pop-punk when a lot of us were growing up in the mid 2000s. Some people only equate pop-punk with that vibe, and that's what MGK has tapped back into as a career move. But it doesn't mean there isn't pop-punk-influenced music out there, or that you have to lean into mid-2000s nostalgia to be pop-punk. Hopefully this thread proves that sometimes.

For example here's one to check out that's more in the alt/indie world but clearly has some pop-punk vibes too:

(Not trying to shit on MGK with this post, I'm not a fan but to each their own)

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

And it also isn't the same type of super glossy 'pink and black Hot Topic shirt" aesthetic that encompassed trendy pop-punk when a lot of us were growing up in the mid 2000s. Some people only equate pop-punk with that vibe, and that's what MGK has tapped back into as a career move. But it doesn't mean there isn't pop-punk-influenced music out there, or that you have to lean into mid-2000s nostalgia to be pop-punk. Hopefully this thread proves that sometimes.

For example here's one to check out that's more in the alt/indie world but clearly has some pop-punk vibes too:

(Not trying to shit on MGK with this post, I'm not a fan but to each their own)

along these lines, I really like this Tigers Jaw song that came out last week: 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Yeah, because it's been embarrassingly bad

Really hasn't been, not really sure why you're sticking to this idea. Theres been fucking loads of good stuff. Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Kay said:

Really hasn't been, not really sure why you're sticking to this idea. Theres been fucking loads of good stuff. Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

The guy gets erect for the new SW trilogy and California, what do you expect?

• Like 2