New generation of pop punk

Champ182

On 9/3/2020 at 1:50 AM, Cheerios4u98 said:

the first thing I usually think of when I hear "pop punk" is late 90s to early 2000s music similar to blink-182.

it's super age specific. to me pop punk at first thought is the ramones, screeching weasel, green day. and then the 90s epitaph and fat bands.

• Like 3

Has anyone here even listened to concert for aliens? Suggesting that this stuff isn’t pop punk is so snobby. It’s pop punk infused with 2020 pop. It’s been years now since any artist has done anything remotely close to this in the mainstream so I definitely appreciate it. I mean really when was the last time you saw a performance at the VMAs even remotely close to that? Ten years ago? More?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NotNow said:

Has anyone here even listened to concert for aliens? Suggesting that this stuff isn’t pop punk is so snobby. It’s pop punk infused with 2020 pop. It’s been years now since any artist has done anything remotely close to this in the mainstream so I definitely appreciate it. I mean really when was the last time you saw a performance at the VMAs even remotely close to that? Ten years ago? More?

It's awesome, I actually listen to it quite frequently.  I don't like MGK, or didn't really, but some of that song gives me serious blink vibes or just where pop punk should be today vibes. "I'm in a room by the door" part particularly.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NotNow said:

It's not even worth it. The only people on the entire internet who claim its not pop punk are all part of the same angry clique on b182 online. They were going so far as denying that people on youtube were calling it pop punk which is 99% of the comments and reaction videos. 

They should be politicians because then they turned it around on me like why are you calling it pop punk and categorizing music?! Very bizarre

Edited by Feeling_This_1

20 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

It's not even worth it. The only people on the entire internet who claim its not pop punk are all part of the same angry clique on b182 online. They were going so far as denying that people on youtube were calling it pop punk which is 99% of the comments and reaction videos. 

They should be politicians because then they turned it around on me like why are you calling it pop punk and categorizing music?! Very bizarre

Jesus H. Fuck, did this mentally retarded gorilla of an argument hurt when it popped out of the one brain cell you've got left pinging around that skull of yours?

tenor.gif?itemid=8347813

• Crab 1

11 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Speedo on queue, thank you for proving my point! So basically I called it what everyone else is, a few idiots argue/disagree about it, then they tell me to stop arguing while they rage and swear at me lol.

*on cue, stupid.

Using "queue" in the sense is how I know you're not British. 

C’mon. Watch the MGK video for My Bloody Valentine. I’m actually proud of this song and video. 20 years after the blink heyday, for that to come out and be popular? Awesome. Captures everything that was great about blink but in a modern way.

5 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

MGK pop punk > Blink with Skiba pop punk

I think they’re both missing the same key thing: dynamic. It’s all so flat. So if it has to be that one is better than the other, I give the nod to the veterans who’s body of work I enjoy. I hate MGK, but that’s only cause I live in Eminem’s backyard. If he sparks a new want for pop punk, fuck yeah. Just don’t think he’s quite as good as blink featuring the hired guns. Both of his songs are super derivative, and when bloody valentine comes on all I hear is Brand New. So consider this a letter that ain’t M G or K. Everyone that’s on this MGK pop punk dick should just find an album by a band they really used to love in high school that you didn’t ever listen to for whatever reason and pretend it’s new. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Depf said:

shoulda went with it and go into full fascist "you are x, you should not do y" mode like you :(

I know tone doesn't come across well on the internet, but whether you're German or not, it was intended to be a playful`comment, not an attack.