Jump to content
 

New generation of pop punk


Champ182
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 9/25/2020 at 12:09 PM, Scott. said:

wow Halsey sounds great. Between the both of them they could bring a huge new following to the genre and blink. Both are huge Blink fans and you can hear blinks influence All over this album. Let’s hope between MGK, Halsey and yungblud pop punk gains a new following. I love hip hop but I’m fucking sick of hearing it everywhere 

There's so much blink influence/references it's pretty cool

-In my "Yead", the most obvious one

-Feeling This type outro on Drunk Face

-WWII sounds like early blink guitars at the intro

-Concert for Aliens lyrics and title in general

 

This is a love letter to pop punk it feels like

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just feel like he set the bar too high with I Think I’m Okay last year and then songs like Hollywood Whore on his last album were a good mix of rap and rock. Where this album just feels like he was trying too hard to create a generic pop-punk album. Still a good album and going to keep listening to it but just think it could have been better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2020 at 10:09 AM, Scott. said:

wow Halsey sounds great. Between the both of them they could bring a huge new following to the genre and blink. Both are huge Blink fans and you can hear blinks influence All over this album. Let’s hope between MGK, Halsey and yungblud pop punk gains a new following. I love hip hop but I’m fucking sick of hearing it everywhere 

time for Halsey to make a pop punk album too

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Nothing Inside is a bloody good song. Jawbreaker is decent too. The rest are all just a bit boring to me.

Title track, all I know, drunk face, Jawbreaker, and concert for aliens have all been on repeat for me. 

The rest are all good too though....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

Title track, all I know, drunk face, Jawbreaker, and concert for aliens have all been on repeat for me. 

The rest are all good too though....

Haha, it's just not my kinda music really. Reminds me more of the pop punk bands from anytime after 2005 than it does of the bands before that year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Haha, it's just not my kinda music really. Reminds me more of the pop punk bands from anytime after 2005 than it does of the bands before that year.

Yes but it's more a love letter to all those bands than an actual attempt to be those bands. Right?  That kind of makes me see it in a different light, because I think he nailed that.  I hear almost all those bands in here throughout.  

I think the classic pop punk genre is simply just dead.  

I also like the little hip hop spin he put on it to stick to his roots.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Listened to this like 4 times in a row yesterday. Just really well done all around. Honest, endearing, fun, funny, aggressive, catchy.

This is so much better than any pop punk I've heard in years and years.

And I can't believe there is an Operation Ivy tribute. I was so pumped when I noticed that, I listened to that album so much in high school.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

Yes but it's more a love letter to all those bands than an actual attempt to be those bands. Right?  That kind of makes me see it in a different light, because I think he nailed that.  I hear almost all those bands in here throughout.  

I think the classic pop punk genre is simply just dead.  

I also like the little hip hop spin he put on it to stick to his roots.

Yeah, definitely agree with you on the classic pop punk genre being dead. I couldn't even listen to a new band if they started doing that sound. I barely listen to California either. I prefer it when a band takes elements of that sound and pushes it further into a more aggressive sound like the Wonder Years did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Osgod said:

Listen to the new Knuckle Puck album 20/20. Pop punk perfection. 

Yeah, can't get into them either. Same with bands like Neck Deep, The Story So Far or whatever. There's just no modern pop punk band I like at all unless it's the Wonder Years. My 3 favourite bands to come from the 2010s are probably the Wonder Years, Naked + Famous and Fever 333. I'm aware Wonder Years had one album before then and two of those bands are completely different genres.

I guess when it comes to pop punk or punk rock, I was always into that late 80's, 90's and early 2000's California skateboarding vibe. All the bands I like tend to come from California like blink, Green Day, Rancid, Offspring, NOFX, AFI, Bad Religion etc. There's the odd non-California band I do like such as Alkaline Trio, Sum 41 & Yellowcard, but those three still don't share any resemblance to modern pop punk in my opinion.

Even though they were influenced by the older bands, I feel like all the modern pop punk bands share no resemblance in their sound whatsoever to the older bands unless the older band is New Found Glory.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only just discovered Knuckle Puck during this album cycle and there are some enjoyable pop-punk songs off that record, mostly the singles though. I also genuinely don't understand the hate towards Neck Deep, never really been a fan apart from the odd song, but the new record they released this summer is solid. Punk, pop-punk whatever you want to call it, it's still out there and if you include MGK, that's 3 albums that have dropped this summer alone with some enjoyable songs. 

Tickets to my downfall is a very easy listening, enjoyable pop-punk album. Title Track, Kiss Kiss, My Ex's Best Friend and the Halsey track are all on instant repeat for me. 

Might not be everybody's cup of tea here but if it 'exposes' pop-punk and encourages artists to try something similar then I'm all for it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jigsaw said:

Only just discovered Knuckle Puck during this album cycle and there are some enjoyable pop-punk songs off that record, mostly the singles though. I also genuinely don't understand the hate towards Neck Deep, never really been a fan apart from the odd song, but the new record they released this summer is solid. Punk, pop-punk whatever you want to call it, it's still out there and if you include MGK, that's 3 albums that have dropped this summer alone with some enjoyable songs. 

Tickets to my downfall is a very easy listening, enjoyable pop-punk album. Title Track, Kiss Kiss, My Ex's Best Friend and the Halsey track are all on instant repeat for me. 

Might not be everybody's cup of tea here but if it 'exposes' pop-punk and encourages artists to try something similar then I'm all for it. 

Check out their older stuff as well (Knuckle Puck). A lot of really great songs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tier 1:

-Title Track: just can't get enough of it, it kicks ass once it gets going and is epic

-All I Know: I liked this song a ton even before seeing it was a cool homage, I love the blend of hip hop here

-Concert for Aliens: that blink vibe on the "I'm better off on the floor" sounds great, over does the lyrics a bit but great banger

-Drunk Face: this is an anthem, you either love or hate this one, I end up singing along everytime, feeling this outro..

Tier 2:

-Kiss Kiss:  Paramore-esque, it's kinda cheesy but I really dig it

-Jawbreaker:  Very catchy and good changeup on the album.  Love the prechorus

-Nothing Inside: Just a solid song, good mix of hip hop and pop punk

-Banyan Tree: I like what they're going for here, the voices was a cool touch, damn Travis

-Lonely: Did MGK have some family members pass? If so, this was pretty intense, felt those lyrics.  Bit hypocritical liking the repeat chorus line, but it works

-My Ex's Bestfriend: What can I say, it's catchy, can't deny it.

Tier 3:

-Bloody Valentine: Still like this one, was a pleasant surprise when it dropped (the cover he did before was iffy) just heard it enough

-WWIII:  It's pretty good, just trying a bit hard

-Forget Me Too: Kind of a skip for me, too generic

-Play This When I'm Gone:  Not bad, just don't end up listening to

 

Overall, great album. Genuinely surprised to be listening to it and digging it so much.  Kudos MGK.. not sure if anyone will follow this, but it has 'cajones', something any modern pop punk just lacks.  He went for something, and sprinkled in all his homages and influences throughout, while sticking true to himself and hip hop roots (or are these his roots?..). Travis killed it.  Production reminds me of Nine but songs are wayyyy better.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Life’s not out to get you by neck deep is one of the best pop punk albums of all time. Wtf is this hate?? Madness. 

Most people who hate them have never actually given them a chance, just see a bunch of young fellas loving life and doing well and want to shit all over them.

I can't say I'm that fussed on their new stuff but that album is fucking gold.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...