DUNE 2020

Ghent

7 hours ago, Speedo said:

I keep forgetting I bought the book a while back. I watched the Sting version and don't remember being too impressed, maybe that's why I never started it.

That movie sucked. It's kinda a cult classic because of how tacky it was. The book is definitely worth a read, it's one of the better sci fi books I've read and probably the most comparable to a GoT in terms of the amount of characters and lore.

Still haven't seen the Harkonnens in these trailers and pics.    

17 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

That movie sucked. It's kinda a cult classic because of how tacky it was. The book is definitely worth a read, it's one of the better sci fi books I've read and probably the most comparable to a GoT in terms of the amount of characters and lore.

I'm going to try and get to it by the end of the month, just need to remember it. 

7 hours ago, Tom Bot said:

The Baron, the Beast, and what is presumably the Harkonnen army on Geidi Prime are all in the trailer.

And yeah, the 1984 movie is terrible. I kind of want to watch it drunk just to make fun of it though, it definitely feels like Space Balls or something in parts. Especially the Baron lol. I'm glad they are toning him down in the new one

3 hours ago, Ghent said:

To be fair, he is supposed to be a teenager in the book.

And chlamydia is easily treatable, could be worse!

yes, it could be herpes. got forbid we make light of that though.

Ah, I didn't read Dune and just assumed Kyle MacLachlan was portraying a youngish adult. So I guess that's actually good casting. This guy definitely looks young. 

10 hours ago, Scott. said:

Looks absolutely shite 👍🏻

6 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

I thought BR was gonna suck but yeah, I am not entirely sure I can trust the marketing for this.

I do think casting the kid that gave everyone Chlamydia at NYU is iffy considering he looks 15. 

I've seen some people react negatively to the trailer and I think I know why. There is a subtle Young Adult tone to the trailer and it's all just based on marketing. I think it's because Blade Runner 2049, Villeneuve's most recent film, wasn't a huge commercial success, but it was still an amazing movie. The studio is probably worried the same thing will happen with Dune, so they're trying to make it more accessible. That's my theory, at least. 

• 3 weeks later...

29 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

aannnnd it got delayed until October 1, 2021. Not surprising but still a bummer. 

Good, it'll give me time to finish the damn book. I only got 100 pages in or so before I stopped reading it. It wasn't bad or boring but I just wasn't in the mood for it.

• 9 months later...