anyone ever watch evangelion?

_Kyle_

8 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

tumblr_pgi7atTFlH1uob8tfo1_540.gif

I got into this show over the summer and watched it once a week or so and man oh man does it get good and fucking insane. it basically watched the last 6-8 episodes in two nights and it blew me away. anyone ever fuck with it?

111890.gif

Are you watching the new Netflix series or the older ones?  I've always been into Gundam Wing and Kaiju stuff plus other anime and manga.  Always heard great things about this series.

1 hour ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Are you watching the new Netflix series or the older ones?  I've always been into Gundam Wing and Kaiju stuff plus other anime and manga.  Always heard great things about this series.

I watched the Netflix version of the og series and I got to EOE film; which is the really the last two episodes with the action and more insanity. I honestly really liked the Netflix version despite some people's ire. I get why things got slightly changed and honestly, I don't think it really hindered my understanding or appreciation of it. Nothing important to me is changed as I didn't grow up with the original voice actors either. I'm not the biggest anime fan and occasionally watch shows that get recommended to me, but I would say this seems to elevate the medium that few rarely do. It certainly grows on you after you take it all in and warning, it's kind of hard to follow. It's just a lot of information in 26 episodes and very dense and convoluted.

My friend has the blu-rays of the rebuild (basically a remake of sorts I'm told) and I'm going to borrow his copies when I see him next. Really fascinating to me how this show even got made, became hugely popular, pissed people off, and almost felt the need to make more in movie form that re-tells the original show to spite the audience's expectations in a weird way. It's pretty confrontational and really critical of the audience it's trying to entertain. 

I recommend this series if you even have even the most casual interest in anime. It's hard to even describe it in relation to something else in terms of what it is attempting to do. 

1 hour ago, Speedo said:

You're gonna get seizures. 

it was the 90s. they didn't care. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:
  Hide contents

Fuckkkkk...Shinji is going to go thermonuclear....

also I get the feeling Nerv is on some creepy religious path to usher in the apocalypse.

edit: did you mean episode 19?! because holllllllly shit I have no idea what's going on now lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Spoiler

Oh shit, I think you're right haha I watched it years ago and I thought it was episode 18, the 18th I think it's the depressing episode and made me feel terrible, but I meant the one with that speechless final fight that went immediately from epic and badass to absolutely chilling. It was so intense. Beating an angel no one else could even scratch and making the choice to bear pain so that others can live.

I haven't watched the movies yet, I'm still just thinking about the series.  Just a thought.

I love Shinji, I hate Shinji, I want nothing more than for Shinji to succeed....and worst of all, I see so much of myself in Shinji that it is literally gut wrenching.  The mastery of this show is that for certain people, it hits them like a ton of bricks.  I'm assuming in this way, Evangelion fans that REALLY get into it are all dealing and struggling with the same things.  And that's....comforting?

yeah I agree. this show really touched on things I experienced as a teen and probably still do to a certain extent with childhood ending. the depression aspects felt really well done and earned. I would say the first 10 episodes I was just noticing how fucked up everything was and not knowing if it was supposed to be that way and then it reaffirms it by the end that yes, this is all entirely fucked up. 

shinji is just broken though (can you blame him?). you just want to fix him but you really can't. that's the hardest thing about the show, nobody seemed to give him solid advice or give him any kind of comfort without trying to manipulate him for some kind of means.

12 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

yeah I agree. this show really touched on things I experienced as a teen and probably still do to a certain extent with childhood ending. the depression aspects felt really well done and earned. I would say the first 10 episodes I was just noticing how fucked up everything was and not knowing if it was supposed to be that way and then it reaffirms it by the end that yes, this is all entirely fucked up. 

shinji is just broken though (can you blame him?). you just want to fix him but you really can't. that's the hardest thing about the show, nobody seemed to give him solid advice or give him any kind of comfort without trying to manipulate him for some kind of means.

There are so many moments that happen to Shinji that give me VIVID flashbacks of things I regret in my real life.  And the ending...oh boy.  Talk about questioning so many of my motivations in my daily life.  In all honesty this show broke me. 

I think I'm going to watch EoE this weekend.