Documentaries

Meltdown Tracker

Anyone see any good ones lately? I thought this deserved its own thread since it doesn't really fit into the TV/Movies threads. 

I watched Feels Good Man last night. While I'm familiar with the Pepe the Frog meme...I had no idea how he was being used online and how deep the rabbit hole went. It's about the origins of Pepe the Frog, how he was used for hate speech/white supremacy, and how the artist behind him tried to reclaim the character for good. 

Also got an online pass to DOXA a few months back and watched a few online. The Walrus and the Whistleblower stood out, kind of like a Canadian version of Blackfish. 

Right now I’m watching a series called Hip Hop Evolution that’s about the history of hip hop and another one about Bobby Kennedy. They’re pretty good. I like the Kennedy one because it doesn’t glorify him and his family like a lot of other documentaries do.

• Like 1

The other night I saw "The Bridge" - the documentary about people who jump off the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

The guy who did the documentary tricked government officials into allowing cameras to be set up on the bridge. On his application he said that he wanted to capture the intersection of monument and nature that takes place every day at the Golden Gate Bridge, however it was all about the jumpers.  

I recommend giving it a watch - very interesting but very sad at the same time. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

I think I watched that ~10 years ago. I don't remember it that well, but yeah, it's really sad.

It's one of the most haunting documentaries I've seen. What stuck out to me was just how candid the interviews with the family and friends were. All the stories really make you realise how much pain someone might be in when they kill themselves, and how little other options they seem to have.
I was so captured by the guy dressed in black with long black hair who spent 90 minutes pacing back in forth on the bridge and then jumped so effortlessly :( 

• Sad 1