Tom's rare backup guitar used 23 years ago on the 2nd of October 1997

luisbootlegs

On 10/21/2020 at 6:25 PM, daveyjones said:

at least through 97, tom was a no pedal dude.

the pic we have from the whiskey show opening for descendents in october 96 shows tom running two VL-1002's, either bridged (like fletcher in PW does with his mesas) or one on clean and one on overdrive.

I’m betting dollars to donuts he had both VL units going in stereo because like you mentioned before; he copied everything from everyone. Also, channel two is engaged on both heads in the photo in question. What I’m guessing is either stage lighting or the flash from Kerry Key’s camera makes it hard to see the red light indicator on the top unit.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Q182 said:

@Depf He used the Hi Gain Dual Reverb JCM 900. His Triple Rec (Tan/Burgundy) is a 2 Channel Revision G. Not many people know this unless you’re familiar the illustrious history of those amps. 

And no, the 900 got taken out of his setup in ‘04. I would also like to know what was going into those half dozen Mesa cabs.

So how about that backup Sticker Strat, eh? 

Maybe they were dummy cabs? Or maybe it was just all Triple Rec. I really hope they weren't just dummy cabs. I hate when bands do that shit.

11 hours ago, Q182 said:

@Depf He used the Hi Gain Dual Reverb JCM 900. His Triple Rec (Tan/Burgundy) is a 2 Channel Revision G. Not many people know this unless you’re familiar the illustrious history of those amps. 

And no, the 900 got taken out of his setup in ‘04. I would also like to know what was going into those half dozen Mesa cabs.

So how about that backup Sticker Strat, eh? 

Maybe they were dummy cabs? Or maybe it was just all Triple Rec. I really hope they weren't just dummy cabs. I hate when bands do that shit.

6 hours ago, Depf said:

It's a strat. With stickers. and a black humbucker;)

i don't think its all that important which Marshall you choose to sound like tom. Most 900s have diode clipping and are very different distorted but he used the all tube dual reverb and set it up quite clean. All the gain on the clean channel IRRC.

The thing is, the famous tan recto and 900... i never seen them past EOTS. just the cabs. and fotos of jmps/triaxis going into a marshall el34 power amp.

I can't get my head around the fact that no guitar tech from that time has ever been interviewed.... @Ry-Bread

One of my favorite Tom tones is from 1998 with his Les Pauls and his Mesa Dual Rec (or is it a Triple @Q182?)

It's so good to my ears.

Recovery in Australia:

Conan: 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, blinkstillrules said:

Les Pauls and his Mesa Dual Rec (or is it a Triple @Q182?)

Triple. You can see the blue and pink alien stickers on the diamond plate, it’s the same amp he’s using in the Montréal ‘97 video. His Dual Rec was a Rackmount model which was all black and only used with the Sticker Strat. Both of those Mesa’s were Revision G units.

As far as the dummy Mesa cab debate, if I remember right in pictures from that era at least all of them had on microphone on it so take that what you will. I also hate when bands do that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Depf said:

checked my pictures, at least on the 04 tour he mic'ed 1 2x12 and 1 4x12. the other 4 cabs are monitors at best.

i gotta admit, i do have a bit of a marshall wall fetish. 

dummy cab> distracting LED display or whatever 

edit: man those 1998 shows are peak blink for me. thanks for reminding me of those

I wanna do a DeLonge LP replica next. The lady luck one. Then go for that '98 tone.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/3/2020 at 1:38 AM, luisbootlegs said:

I was just watching the new Montreal 97 show that's surfaced a couple hours ago and noticed that right before the start of the song "Untitled" Tom swaps guitars and starts using a Fender guitar which I had never seen ever before:

Any thoughts/knowledge on that backup guitar?

I have a pretty high res pic of Tom playing that guitar, the same one you have in your signature I think; I have it saved tagged as 1996. 07. 30.

5 hours ago, daveyjones said:

you've seen the dude who bought the original, right?

I believe he has sold it since. Don't know who has it now

1996-07-30-Northampton, MA - Northampton Airport (Vans Warped Tour '96)crop.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blinkHQ said:

I have a pretty high res pic of Tom playing that guitar, the same one you have in your signature I think; I have it saved tagged as 1996. 07. 30.

This photo is actually of Tom’s main sticker strat.

The backup guitar we’re trying to figure out here dates to mid-1997 is a bit more off white in color and has entirely new stickers we’ve never seen before. 

Nevertheless, thank you for sharing this photo! We don’t have many references of the original sticker strat with the sack lunch sticker on it so this is great.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, blinkHQ said:

Oh, sorry I got a little confused :D I actually have it the full image with Mark in it, and less compressed. I had to butcher it a bit to fit it here. I can dm you a link to the full one if you want

All good! Any old pictures are always a good score, especially ones we haven't seen before.

That would be awesome, thank you!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 1:47 PM, blinkstillrules said:

I have. Jon's sticker strat video led me here and building my own.

My Gibson actually just arrived today. 1998 LP standard. Already have the rainbow strap and all stickers but the Kung Fu records, should I decide to sticker it up.

7rNoMqb.jpg

this is a beautiful guitar, even out of blink context. in my opinion, black/ebony is one of the best finishes on a guitar. do you have any plans with it?

21 hours ago, yeadache said:

this is a beautiful guitar, even out of blink context. in my opinion, black/ebony is one of the best finishes on a guitar. do you have any plans with it?

Thanks dude.

I'm getting all the stickers that were on it when Tom first got it. Lady luck, kung fu records, etc and then deciding on stickering it or not. People tell me I'll be an asshole to do it to an LP.

Might replace the bridge pickup with a JB.

On 1/24/2021 at 6:23 AM, blinkstillrules said:

People tell me I'll be an asshole to do it to an LP.

vinyl will come off fine without harming the body if you ever want to desticker it. i say sticker, because otherwise what is the point of having the right model and year. but that is just me.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...