Current Blink's biggest weakness?

Meltdown Tracker

I think after three albums and many live performances, the thing I'm most yearning for is the guitar synergy with Travis' drum beats. I'm not faulting Skiba - lyrically and vocally (ages considered for him and Tom) he's done fine, it's just the style of his riffs and lackthereof. I think I miss the Tom era mainly for moments like:

But there are so many others. Stockholm Syndrome has a lot of those moments. Most of Boxcar Racer. 

Now, I'm not saying current Tom is still capable of that type of stuff (Travis definitely still is). But he's still good for 10-20% of that, and I'll take that over the Skiba era all day. 

• Like 2

variation in live performances for me. The extended interludes and outros they used to play were always something I loved. I also enjoyed them playing songs faster than the album recordings. It was fun to hear versions of songs that weren't trying to sound exactly like the album versions we've heard 8000 times. I miss that a lot.

Live shows aside, a few years back I could never imagine myself saying this, but I miss blink songs with only one singer.

• Like 4

Their biggest weaknesses:

1. The lack of energy on the live shows due to click tracks and backing tracks. It's not even the backing tracks, plenty of band have energetic live shows while using them. 

2. And marks "I'm feeling this" makes me puke a little in my mouth. 

But these were problems they had the last years with tom as well. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 9:32 AM, Cheerios4u98 said:

variation in live performances for me. The extended interludes and outros they used to play were always something I loved. I also enjoyed them playing songs faster than the album recordings. It was fun to hear versions of songs that weren't trying to sound exactly like the album versions we've heard 8000 times. I miss that a lot.

Same here, something I have really missed with Skiba are the extended bridges and creative improv. I don't know how much of these performances were planned or rehearsed, but you can tell Tom was improvising a bit even in his latest tours with blink (i.e the outros of I Miss You and Down) and the way Mark and Travis were able to follow and stay perfectly in sync with him was really what set the band apart. Now it's all just louder backing tracks and big visual effects. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/1/2020 at 2:41 AM, Elisa said:

Same here, something I have really missed with Skiba are the extended bridges and creative improv. I don't know how much of these performances were planned or rehearsed, but you can tell Tom was improvising a bit even in his latest tours with blink (i.e the outros of I Miss You and Down) and the way Mark and Travis were able to follow and stay perfectly in sync with him was really what set the band apart. Now it's all just louder backing tracks and big visual effects. 

I think the bridges and outros were 100% a Tom thing. I mean he started AVA which is all about super long intros and outros. He continued doing extended live outros at shows with AVA. I forgot about this one but I actually saw it live in person back in 2006. Normal song ends at about 3:25 and the rest of the video is an outro.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I think the bridges and outros were 100% a Tom thing. I mean he started AVA which is all about super long intros and outros. He continued doing extended live outros at shows with AVA. I forgot about this one but I actually saw it live in person back in 2006. Normal song ends at about 3:25 and the rest of the video is an outro.

Damn, totally forgot about that. Listen to that guitar tone!! 

Matt W was such a better fit that Ryan was though

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...