The Original Buddha Tape Mystery

Ry-Bread

On 12/14/2020 at 12:21 PM, Ry-Bread said:

@KhAoS182 Bootlegs we were chatting on IG, thank you for posting this stuff in the thread! That letter from Mark is incredible, and if it truly came with that tape - that's some nice evidence that the BLUE TAPE is "real" (as in, officially came from the band at some point)

As for the WHITE STICKER one, the autographs are no question authentic (lol @ having Trav sign it) but the rest of it is exactly what I have been seeing on other "white sticker" examples. (All the way down to the white edge on the pink "Filter Records" side of the J-card). I do not know if they are "real" (again I will define "real" as being released through the band/Filter Records and not a bootleg forgery), but it does seem these "white label" tapes came from the same source. (We just need to figure out if that was a scam artist!)

EDIT: Here are the "white lines" I'm referring to, these are from 3 different "WHITE STICKER" versions I have on file:

7AyTJyB.png

Also, while I wish the letter was dated - we can deduce it was after ~June 1994 as he mentioned Short Bus existing. It's interesting that a hand drawn cover would be included, as if they were out of the normal cover. That makes me wonder if they found it easier/cheaper to make color copies, which may explain poor alignment issues and lack of full bleeds on some?

Mine has the white line on the insert and it's an original from the band selling at the show back in 94. 

On 12/15/2020 at 12:46 PM, daveyjones said:

the way to determine an authentic tape is twofold:

1.) rip the audio to WAV and examine the spectrals in an app like audacity. in doing so you can determine if the tracks are from an actual analog source (tape dub) or a digital source from an mp3 or something.

2.) examine the paper J-card and lyrics insert. both were analog copies in a time before digital copiers or inkjet printers. it's very easy to tell if something is a print of a scan.

If I were to rip my tape via audacity, what are the best/correct settings to use? I understand how to get it from cassette player to audacity but I don't know what the best settings would be to get a great recording as they usually don't sound too good when I've done this with other, old cassettes. 

2 minutes ago, rjphoto said:

If I were to rip my tape via audacity, what are the best/correct settings to use? I understand how to get it from cassette player to audacity but I don't know what the best settings would be to get a great recording as they usually don't sound too good when I've done this with other, old cassettes. 

@daveyjones can definitely advise

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rjphoto said:

check the redacted.ch / what.cd guide

4 hours ago, rjphoto said:

Here are the photos of my cassette and insert. 

https://imgur.com/a/b0Va9yR

tape looks legit. inserts are fake (by that i mean second gen).

8 hours ago, daveyjones said:

check the redacted.ch / what.cd guide

tape looks legit. inserts are fake (by that i mean second gen).

The tape was purchased in person, at the show so I wouldn't say that the inserts are fake. This show was in 1994 or 1995, the same year that the cassette was released. It may be hard to tell due to the lighting in my kitchen, but the insert does have a purple hue and does not have any lines like you'd say were from a copy. Dare I say that maybe your insert may be a second generation as your tape was acquired in 1997? Your scan of the insert from your cassette looks very saturated while this one is a subtle purple/violet color. If you'd like a scan of the insert next to a color wheel, I'd be happy to show you what I'm talking about. Again, this was purchased right from the hands of the band, and has been sitting in a box for decades, forgotten about, without much play. I don't remember the show date, but it was the Huntridge Theater in Las Vegas, I shot photos of the show and will dig them up. I know that a couple of my friends that were there with me also purchased a tape so I'll see if they still have them. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rjphoto said:

Here are the photos that I have from the show at the Huntridge Theater in Las Vegas on December 8th, 1994. I can confirm this because my senior high, winter formal dance is on the same roll of film negatives, and it was on the 10th of December. This is the show that I purchased the cassette. 

https://imgur.com/a/LiHlKoH

Those pics from the show came out great! Great little time capsule there

19 hours ago, rjphoto said:

The tape was purchased in person, at the show so I wouldn't say that the inserts are fake. This show was in 1994 or 1995, the same year that the cassette was released. It may be hard to tell due to the lighting in my kitchen, but the insert does have a purple hue and does not have any lines like you'd say were from a copy.

excellent. glad to hear it's bad lighting. it's clear to see in the second photo with the live pics that the lavender paper insert is legit.

you may dare say my tape is second gen but i bought my cassette from pat secor. unplayed copy. identical to yours.

great story about the 94 show, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1