Fave non-christmas films that make you feel Christmassy?

Kay

11 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I've never seen Die Hard either. Not a big fan of action movies like that, usually find them boring. Figure I need to watch this one though since everyone makes such a fuss about it

It's a good movie but don't take the fanaticism to heart, you'll end up disappointed. 

Thing is, I'm not an action movie person. My family watch Die Hard like every other Christmas or so, it's a fun movie and has some great moments. I love it but I am not pretending it's for an objective reason. 

Its super old now so it's specialness will be lost on a lot of new watchers. Basically if you're gonna watch it, watch it because you wanna see a good fun film and because you think Alan Rickman is a bamf. 

3 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Die Hard is fucking awesome. In fact, I think the first 3 movies are awesome. Any of the ones after are just Bruce Willis in a 12/PG-13 action movie with the words Die Hard plastered over them to make money. Alan Rickman plays one of my favourite ever villains. It's just a damn good movie.

I don't think it's the best action movie but it's definitely up there IMO. My favourite is Terminator 2: Judgement Day simply because of a deeper storyline and there's references about the flaws of humanity and technology. It has a great villain and has Linda Hamilton as the bad ass Sarah Connor.

It's a pretty bleak movie but so bad ass at the same time. The action scenes are just way bigger and more memorable and it probably has the best car chase I've ever seen in a movie. Well, not exactly a car chase scene as the transports are a huge fucking truck, a dirt bike and a Harley. Then later on it has an amazing chase scene with some SWAT truck, a helicopter, some shitty work van and another huge ass truck.

It literally is the perfect summer action blockbuster that so many super hero movies try to be today, but they have to rely constantly on CGI as well as place the PG-13/12 tag over it. Not to mention it's quite a grounded movie with it's action scenes. I think the only movie that comes close to what Terminator 2 did is District 9.

All this is off topic but I still haven't figured out a favourite non-christmas movie that reminds me of christmas.

I'm in be rare group that likes T1 better than T2, however both are masterpieces. Also, the first is more of a horror, which I like.  The ending is the scariest thing ever to me because the stop motion is so uncanny valley, it messes with you everytime.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, He Is Risen said:

Die Hard is a fun, mindless action movie. There was time in the 80's and 90's when action movies were good movies with the right amount of humor and cheese and you could just shut your brain off and enjoy them. I don't see too many of them like that today. To me the action movies today try too hard with the humor and it throws me off ... the original 3 Die Hards were good. That being said, I don't particularly understand the fanaticism that surround the first one. It's a good movie but simmer down a bit with the superlatives. 

Well DaveyJones loves things that are what they say they are, so it makes sense why he'd love it if it is indeed as advertised, I will reserve judgment until I see it though.  Movies are best when your expectations are lowered.

I feel like Matrix isn't getting enough love here.  Matrix was/is groundbreaking on so many levels.  Thank you to taking just the right amount of drugs to adapt that movie before becoming too political Wachowskis.

4 hours ago, Gaslit Jan said:

Die Hard LOOKS on paper like a complete typical action movie, with cheesy lines and not much interesting storyline between it.

that's because it created the formula for those movies: the protagonist trapped somewhere with a bunch of bad guys.

for years movies were called "die hard on a..." like speed is die hard on a bus, speed 2 is die hard on a luxury yacht, under siege is die hard on a battleship, under siege 2 is die hard on a train, olympus has fallen and white house down are die hard at the white house, etc etc etc.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

that's because it created the formula for those movies: the protagonist trapped somewhere with a bunch of bad guys.

for years movies were called "die hard on a..." like speed is die hard on a bus, speed 2 is die hard on a luxury yacht, under siege is die hard on a battleship, under siege 2 is die hard on a train, olympus has fallen and white house down are die hard at the white house, etc etc etc.

Negotiator was good though..

38 minutes ago, Gaslit Jan said:

I feel like Matrix isn't getting enough love here.  Matrix was/is groundbreaking on so many levels.  Thank you to taking just the right amount of drugs to adapt that movie before becoming too political Wachowskis.

I actually rewatched this a couple of weeks ago and the story is still amazing, but man the visuals look like shit lol.

It's kind of crazy it spawned so many rip-offs.

36 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

I haven't seen Speed in, probably 2 decade, holy shit! I need to watch that.